Weekly chit-chat thread July 28th-August 3rd - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 93 Old 07-31-2008, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We get maternity leave in the US?

When did that happen?

Uhhhh...today I am so tired I feel like I could sleep...all...day...I have a coop to unpack, too...bla...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#62 of 93 Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 PM

Went to my midwife appointment today. I let her use the Doppler to listen to the baby's heartbeat. I've been worried (because of that damned blood clot, even though it's gone now) since I can't yet feel her/him moving in there, that something's wrong. So it was a huge relief to hear the little heartbeat just pounding away (around 160 bpm). And to also hear the kicks and movements.

I'm so relieved and grateful that everything's okay. But I wonder if I'll be able to truly get to a point where I'm enjoying this pregnancy and not just walking around afraid to get excited still.

I'm going on Tuesday for my nuchal fold screen and blood tests at the high risk OB place, and I hope I'll start feeling more secure/encouraged after that.

Queen of my Castle, no salicylic acid because it's an aspirin derivative and can be dangerous in pregnancy. Even topical medications have to be considered beforehand during pregnancy, because applying it to your skin means it gets absorbed into your bloodstream. Some are safe. Some are not. Acne meds with salicylic acid are not. Benzoyl peroxide isn't healthy but it's not considered unsafe (not like salicylic acid). BHA, or beta hydroxy acid, is a form of salicylic acid and should also be avoided. Alpha hydroxy acids are not considered unsafe though, as I understand it.

CandyApple, most providers consider Benadryl safe during pregnancy. You can also try a homeopathic remedy for allergic reactions, and headaches. Check your local HFS if you're interested, or PM me for names. I'm sorry you got stung.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#63 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 AM

i need some advice from you more experienced mamas... does anyone know to tell if placenta is anterior or posterior by using a doppler? i recieved my doppler yesterday and could not find the heartbeat (i'm 10 weeks today). the placenta was very loud and right there, my pulse was also pretty loud. i thought i heard the heartbeat faintly for no more than 2 seconds and it disappeared straight away. it seemed to have disappeared into the placenta if that makes sense? the placenta noise was just overtaking everything. i am fairly slender and average height, i had a full bladder and used the probe correctly. i don't know what is going on? i've always had posterior placentas but i am wondering if its anterior this time and baby is hiding behind it. any advice?
#64 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
desperatemommytobe, you're an esthetician! How strange that you mentioned that and then I woke up this morning with these weird polka-dots all over my body.

When I went to get in the shower this morning, I noticed these tiny bright pink pinpoint-size specks all over my breasts and upper abdomen (all above my belly button). There's everywhere! And they were not there last night. They've faded some over the last two hours, but they're definitely still there. I'm really fair skinned, so they really stand out. No itching, burning, pain, allergy symptoms, anything. What is going on?

JustKate- I get those too. They are just lesions that form during the beginning of pregnancy because the temperatures within our bodies get so hot, plus a combination of our hormones. Some will fade, it usually goes away after you have your baby. I'd still run it through your dr./mw just so they know and can keep an eye on it in case it gets worse.

As far as skincare during pregnancy salicylic acid is a no no. BHA is a derivative of salicylic acid so no. However Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), glycolic acid, or lactic acid, are safe. Sunscreens are also safe

Queen of my Castle, I'm sorry about your bite. According to my baby book that I got through my hospital benadryl is safe to use, so is cortaid cream or ointment, calamine or caladryl lotion, and aloe vera gel or lotion.
#65 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 AM

mamamelia, I've heard that the loudness of the Doppler can often make babes move away from the sound, so they literally hide from it, making it difficult (especially early on) to get a heartbeat reading.

I'd give it a bit and try another day maybe. The placenta shouldn't yet be big enough to be blocking all of the front or top of your uterus, I don't think? I don't know though.

#66 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess View Post
We get maternity leave in the US?

When did that happen?
FMLA has been around since 1993, but it only covers employers who have at least 50 employees and it is not required to be paid and only holds your job for 12 weeks.
#67 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 01:50 AM

thanks renee... turns out the baby was hiding. i remember my dd used to squirm like crazy whenever i had an ultrasound or doppler reading.

i was just coming here to update... i had my berry smoothie and thought i would try again... fiddled around for a few minutes only to hear the super loud placenta again. then i heard a faint heartbeat sitting in the same spot i thought i had found it in yesterday.. i angled the probe and it got louder instantly! i heard the heartbeat for about a minute loud and clear and then baby hid again - a beautiful 172bpm (mine comes with monitor)!!

: :

i'm 10 weeks today! 2 weeks to go!
#68 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad you got to hear the heartbeat!

I asked Cheri22 a follow-up question about if she saw any future children for us after this baby, and she said a son and a daughter, in that order.

7 kids?!?! Wow.
#69 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 AM

thanks!!! i'm very happy that i heard it!

7 kids!! wow.... i think i might ask cheri22 too... i've always wanted four and if this pregnancy ends well and our angel baby included, i'll have my four children just like i always wanted.

how do you get a reading done?
#70 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 AM

I had just read that salicylic acid was safe to apply topically in small amounts, like to treat acne, but not to take internally (??) or have masks or wraps done with it. I'm not trying to be controversial. After I asked the question I decided to look it up myself.

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#71 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 10:20 AM

I'm a little over 12 weeks now and feeling better. Good timing too since I need to get this place clean before the in-laws come visit. They arrive on Monday.

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

#72 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 AM

I'm 12w3d, and I just puked for the first time during this pregnancy. In the shower of all places. All you mamas who have incidents like that regularly for the first 12 or more weeks... I'm sorry. I really am. Yuck!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#73 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 AM

I'm 12 weeks and 1 day! :

My nausea and fatigue are getting better but definitely not completely gone. Now that I have some more energy I've got to start getting active again. I'm looking forward to it, I've been pretty lazy for the last couple months .

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#74 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 12:35 PM

I know this is a terrible thing to be thinking, but I have to ask. What is the earliest that a baby can be delivered and survive? 30+ weeks?

I'm so sorry to be thinking this stuff out loud, but over the last week or so I've become overwhelmingly paranoid that something is going to go wrong. Probably because I've finally told everyone about the pregnancy and its becoming so real.

#75 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I know this is a terrible thing to be thinking, but I have to ask. What is the earliest that a baby can be delivered and survive? 30+ weeks?

I'm so sorry to be thinking this stuff out loud, but over the last week or so I've become overwhelmingly paranoid that something is going to go wrong. Probably because I've finally told everyone about the pregnancy and its becoming so real.
My friend's baby was born at 26 weeks. He's doing pretty well all things considering. He's two months old now.
#76 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
I had just read that salicylic acid was safe to apply topically in small amounts, like to treat acne, but not to take internally (??) or have masks or wraps done with it. I'm not trying to be controversial. After I asked the question I decided to look it up myself.
Some people also say that other medications are "safe" in small dosages. But just because something is applied topically does not mean it doesn't get into your blood stream. It's absorbed through the skin. A small amount may or may not be safe. There's no way to know but in hindsight and it's not something I'm okay with personally. My midwife (who is very laid back about lots of meds, etc.,) is adamantly against use of salicylic acid in pregnancy. She's well aware of aspirin use for some women with blood issues, but that's a very different thing. I trust her judgment. I've seen the comments you're referring to, but I respectfully disagree.

But the bottom line is it's up to you and your comfort level. For me, I don't mess around with it. But it's an easy choice for me, when there are other products out there that are just as effective and not dangerous.

But I also don't expose my child to flame retardant chems in sleepwear, nor do I use toxic/chemical cleaning products and all that jazz. As with most anything, it comes down to a risk versus benefit and your own comfort level.

#77 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Viability is 22 weeks with a 10% survival rate. My son was born at 27wks, 1lb 15oz 13" and spent 74 days in the NICU. By 28wks the survival rate is greater than 90% HTH!
#78 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM

I just signed up at an ultrasound training place to be a volunteer! I'm so excited. I'm going to cancel my nt scan because I really didn't want to do that, I just wanted to take a peek in there. So, now I can do it for free....I just hope they call soon and not at like 20 weeks. They said that since I'm so early, they'd probably call me more than once.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#79 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamelia View Post
thanks!!! i'm very happy that i heard it!

7 kids!! wow.... i think i might ask cheri22 too... i've always wanted four and if this pregnancy ends well and our angel baby included, i'll have my four children just like i always wanted.

how do you get a reading done?
www.cheri22.com

It's $8 and she'll contact you by email.
#80 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I just signed up at an ultrasound training place to be a volunteer! I'm so excited. I'm going to cancel my nt scan because I really didn't want to do that, I just wanted to take a peek in there. So, now I can do it for free....I just hope they call soon and not at like 20 weeks. They said that since I'm so early, they'd probably call me more than once.

Lisa
Please be cautious and a bit wary about allowing untrained techs to do your US. This is from 2004 and is more about all the "keepsake" ultrasounds but in it the FDA warns against untrained techs doing US--especially with the more intensive/higher resolution machines...:
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/104_images.html

Quote:
American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM):
The AIUM advocates the responsible use of diagnostic ultrasound. The AIUM strongly discourages the non-medical use of ultrasound for psychosocial or entertainment purposes. The use of either two-dimensional (2D) or three-dimensional (3D) ultrasound to only view the fetus, obtain a picture of the fetus or determine the fetal gender without a medical indication is inappropriate and contrary to responsible medical practice. Although there are no confirmed biological effects on patients caused by exposures from present diagnostic ultrasound instruments, the possibility exists that such biological effects may be identified in the future. Thus ultrasound should be used in a prudent manner to provide medical benefit to the patient.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#81 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 03:18 PM

On a different note...I am going to get a lovely massage this afternoon
My partner and DS are visiting the other grandparents next week so my mom is coming over to help with some around the house projects--I hope to get a lot done!
We have tax free weekend here so I am hoping to find some more clothes that fit--2 more pair of paints could not be fastned this week .

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#82 of 93 Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 PM

Hi Everyone... I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but JC Penney's is having a huge sale and I just got 7 maternity tops ranging from $1.57- $3.97. I also got a $40 jacket for $5.98 and it is a tax free weekend so can we say score?!
#83 of 93 Old 08-02-2008, 03:58 PM

Wow that's great Pryncess, I'm all about getting stuff on sale. Especially now that we're saving up for our baby. Do you know how long the sale is going for? I guess I should find out.

Queen of my Castle- I understand your point of view, but personally I wouldn't use salicylic acid just because of the fact that aspirin is a derivative from it. It's kind of like alcohol and pregnancy. There hasn't been any studies that shows how little of alcohol you can drink without harming the fetus, but a wine a day does wonders for your heart. Ultimately it comes down to you deciding what you want to do. I'd be careful, I know it's hard, my skin could definetely use a peel by now, I feel like I'm a teenager again with acne...hehe.

So I know I should do my research and I will, but can a pregnant woman have a deep tissue massage? I know I could use one by now.
#84 of 93 Old 08-03-2008, 12:48 AM

Many people believe still that most full body massages are to be avoided first trimester, I believe. Though that's obviously a personal comfort/preference to some extent. Most massage therapists I know prefer not to treat a pregnant woman until her second trimester.

But I think pretty much everyone agrees that full massages are usually fine after the first trimester (though be sure not to lie flat on your back for an extended period as you get bigger -- at this stage most of us should be fine still, since the uterus is still small), so long as the acupressure points that trigger contractions in the hands and ankle/feet area are avoided.

Now some people (including some massage therapists) consider avoiding massages in the first trimester to be an old wives' tale and that under the care of a skilled therapist, it shouldn't matter where you are in pregnancy when you receive a massage. So it, like other things, becomes a personal choice. For me, I'm fine with neck/back massage but not a full body in the first trimester.

I did have a massage in very early pregnancy last time (I wasn't aware I was pregnant -- had I been, I would not have had the massage -- I was about 5 weeks pregnant at the time), then had some full body massages third trimester that were just wonderful. One therapist had a special table where the middle section came away to accommodate my big belly, and the other used special cushions, and had my lie on my side. Both were wonderful, though I did prefer the one with the cutout in the table. So you can ask ahead of time if they have a table that is designed to accommodate pregnancy. Regardless, I would definitely tell the therapist ahead of time when you book the appointment that you're pregnant and whether you're still in the first trimester or not. Some will ask that you wait before they'll see you, just to be safe.

#85 of 93 Old 08-03-2008, 04:55 AM

Thanks nighten, I am definetely waiting for my second trimester before I have a massage. I'm almost 13 weeks so not much longer to go. It's just my lower back is gone already (exploded with pain) and my right hip feels like it's sprained or something. Now I didn't fall on it or anything, it just kind of happened one day. I just don't know why it's only my right hip hurting and not both. I really thought it was too early in my pregnancy to be going through all this with my lower back and hip, but I guess not.
I guess I'll be asking my doctor when I go there on the 11th of this month. (BTW the body pillow I have is wonderful especially because it relieves the pressure on my hips when I put it between my knees)
#86 of 93 Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 PM

Maybe you could try a chiropractor? The hip pain could be sciatica, which is a nerve issue, I think. And a chiropractor (especially one who specializes in treating pregnant women) can be a Godsend for that.

#87 of 93 Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 PM

I just went maternity clothes shopping for the first time today. Def. can wait a while longer to wear a lot of it, but my friend gave me a friends and family discount good this weekend only at gap and old navy - so I stocked up. My mom was in town so it was good to have her along for advice. I also hit pea in the pod and got 2 pair of black pants and some maternity tights for the office - man do I really not love them. Maternity pants are pretty heinous. Now I need to find a dress for a wedding in 3 weeks. I'm still in the pudgy belly phase but none of my nice dresses will fit since they were all pretty form fitting on the stomach. Hit 13 weeks today! Feeling pretty good.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#88 of 93 Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm in the clothes are tight but don't need mat wear just yet phase too ... and I'll admit something. After our first midwife appointment at 9w we went next door to this amazing crunchy babe and mama store where they also sell consignment mat clothes. I found a whack of funky winter mat wear in my size and bought the whole lot. Ten pieces for $100! So it's all sitting in the closet, waiting for that moment that I give up with the everyday clothes. I hope another month at least!

And I had to get a dress for a wedding too ... that was not a fun shopping trip. I had to buy an XL! I am not an XL girl, but it was the only one that felt good against my sore boobs and didn't cling to my pudgy belly.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#89 of 93 Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 PM

I'm in and out of maternity clothes. My standard clothing (I wear stuff pretty fitted) is too tight to be comfortable, but maternity clothing, especially the shirts, are too big. So, I wear some stretchy stuff, some of the smaller maternity stuff and just generally look dressed oddly.

At home, I wear maternity stuff or really loose other things. When I go out, I try to suck it up and wear the tight pants, but it's starting to get just past the ability to do that. We went to UU service this morning and I wore this maternity skirt and a non-maternity dressy t-shirt. The bottom of the maternity panel on the skirt would stick out if I didn't keep the shirt pulled down, but I managed to keep it down, I think.

Most of the maternity shirts are so tenty. But, the tank tops and t's that are fitted/stretchy work really well right now. I need to get a few more of them.

I feel like crap on and off all day. By late evening, I start to feel great. Then, about the time I crawl into bed, I start feeling bad again. I can't wait to get past this stage. I'm 10 weeks right now, so behind a lot of you mamas.

I still haven't decided on a midwife...haven't even done any more thinking about it, really. I'm frustrated about it, but do need to eventually make a decision...unless we UC.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#90 of 93 Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 AM

Past_VNE, your link is broken I think?

I'm in the same boat with maternity wear, though truthfully at this point I should be in all full fledged maternity wear, but I'm lazy and have lots of stretchy things (yoga/low waist drawstring pants and long tops) that work well too.

But the long ribbed tanks from Old Navy and Target are awesome underneath a bigger shirt. The only problem is it's too hot for two layers right now. So I broke down and bought some maternity t-shirts from Kohl's the other day, and I'm glad. I needed something very cool and comfy and roomy.

I've gained three pounds. In a week and a half. Which cracks me up. Apparently my appetite's back. My ILs are here and they brought cheesecake. Which always helps.

We go on Tuesday for the nuchal fold screen. I'm really hoping they can do the genital tubercle angle measurement and tell me the gender. That would be such a lovely bonus.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page