My doctor just called . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to tell me that I have a UTI. She wanted the name of our pharmacy, so she could call in an antibiotic for me. I told her that I would prefer to treat it naturally without the use of antibiotics. She was open to the idea, but said that my urine actually contained 2 strains of bacteria, not just one, so it appears to be a bad one. And since I am pregnant, it would be a good idea to treat it with antibiotics.

I am not convinced. I am far more concerned about the problems that the antibiotics can cause for me. So, for now, I am going to try treating it here at home with my supplements. I may go pick up an over the counter UTI test kit, to see if my homeopathics are working.

I seriously don't want to treat this thing with antibiotics!!!

Oh, and when she asked again for our pharmacy, I laughed and said . . . I am not really sure, I never have prescriptions filled! : I don't actually have a pharmacy! So, I told her she could just pick one close to me and let me know!
#2 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 05:18 PM

Hmmm, if you have a bad UTI with 2 strains of bacteria I would be inclined to take the antibiotics.

When I'm not pregnant I avoid antibiotics like the plague but I wouldn't risk a bad infection anywhere in my body while pregnant. Are you having any discomfort yet?
#3 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Since UTIs present differently during pregnancy, it can move to your kidneys (as I understand it) faster than when not pregnant, since the lower back pain symptom is already typically present in pregnancy.

I'm actually struggling with this myself, to be honest. I hate a/bx with a passion (well, okay, I appreciate them for when they are genuinely needed but I hate the way they are over-prescribed these days, and I hate the effects they have on my body). I've been doing cranberry capsules for a few days, and have some colloidal silver but never could get a straight answer on dosage during pregnancy. So I didn't give it a try.

Anyway, my symptoms remain (sans the burning, which is weird) so I'm going in tomorrow for a urine test at my midwife's office. If it comes back positive, I'm taking the a/bx.

I'll also take my probiotics (two hour window to ensure the a/bx has time to work) though, and hope for the best. But I agree that pregnancy isn't the best time to leave a UTI up to potentially iffy solutions, past a certain point. I was comfortable with giving the cranberry a few days, but told myself come today I was calling the midwife if any symptoms remained.

It's a personal choice, and I applaud you wanting to go the natural route first, but I would encourage you to set a time limit on it and if by X day there's not marked improvement, I'd get the a/bx.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#4 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 PM

whats the risk of a UTI while pregnant?

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#5 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
a kidney infection could result which can in some cases lead to premature labour. I don't know how common this is, but that's the concern.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#6 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 PM

I have bacterial vaginosis and am on antibiotics for it. I'm not very happy about it since it is making me feel sick every time I take it.

My dr thought I also have a UTI at the same time and had me start antibiotics for it too but later called and said no UTI after all.

My friend who has a 2 month old now said she had several UTI's during her pregnancy and that was the first time in her life she ever had them.
#7 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
a kidney infection could result which can in some cases lead to premature labour. I don't know how common this is, but that's the concern.
Pregnancy aside, having a UTI can become quite serious if left untreated. One of my friends didn't recognize the symptoms. If her roommate didn't find her passed out on the floor, she would not be here today. She ended up in the hospital. When she got out, she had to really restrict her diet and stay on antibiotics (and other meds) for a very long time after that.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#8 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
At under 20 weeks? A miscarriage can be caused by a UTI. You could also get kidney infections requiring hospitalization. If you feel bad enough, you may also end up not eating or drinking causing another host of problems.

The thing that worries me is the "bad" strain--I'd ask the doctor what that strain is. There are some pretty nasty strains of bacteria that I'd for sure want to treat to avoid preterm labor or a preventable complication... You could always double up on your probiotics while taking them...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#9 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM

Yeah -- not only can it trigger premature labor but it can also contribute to high blood pressure, and if it gets into your kidneys and is untreated, then it can lead to kidney failure, or the infection can get into your bloodstream, which can become life-threatening.

The reasons I think people tend to be less relaxed about UTIs in pregnancy is that because the symptoms aren't always the same (IOW, some women experience only part of the symptoms -- like no burning, for instance), and some of the common symptoms also mask as typical pregnancy symptoms (frequent urination, lower back pain, etc.) so it's easy for it to go unrecognized long enough for it to travel to the kidneys. That's the problem. Most UTIs are very obvious when you're not pregnant. But when you are pregnant, it's more common I think for a woman to be diagnosed unexpectedly than to go in knowing or suspecting there's a UTI going on.

So if the UTI travels to the kidneys (which it can commonly do in pg), that's where the potential danger lies, as I understand it. Yes, there are issues with untreated bladder infections in terms of potential premature labor and hypertension, but it's the kidney infection danger that gets really serious, because in addition to the scary potential dangers to the mama herself, women who develop kidney infection during pregnancy can have an increased risk of delivering low birth weight or premature babies. So it can have more intense effects on both mama and baby than just a typical UTI.

Anyway, I'm absolutely not opposed to natural alternatives especially when they work, but I think it'd be good to give it a set time period then go to the a/bx if need be, just in case. I wouldn't mess around with it, since it can get really bad and a pregnant women not even be aware of how bad it is, because the symptoms are often masked.

#10 of 21 Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 PM

I am just getting over a UTI. I saw my midwife today and we tested my urine which showed no blood and the leukocytes have gone way down.

What I did was take 3,000 Cranberry Capsules (actually found mine at Wal Mart) 3x a day, drank a lot of water, and took Sodium Ascorbate.

I hate antibiotics and I have reactions frequently when taking them. So I avoid them as much as I can (I think it's been 3 years now since I needed any). A kidney infection is worrisome and I worried about it as well...but what I'm doing seems to be working and my midwife is not concerned.

You might try the things listed above if you don't want to go on antibiotics and just see if it works. It took me about a week.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#11 of 21 Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

I am doing the cranberry extract, Vitamin C, colloidal silver, and grapeseed extract. I am also on a high quality probiotic three times a day. I plan to go and have another urine test at the end of the week to see if my efforts have worked. I just don't feel comfortable taking the antibiotics, and am praying that it doesn't come to that.
#12 of 21 Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 AM

okay so if I have been having some burning during urination and after sex just HURT, burned. PLus I have been having back pain, and had shooting pain in my back which i thought was extending from the muscles that were stretching. All on the left side about even with my belly button. That could be a UTI? (this was a couple of days ago and while my back still hurts somewhat nothing is shooting pain anymore, the burning while urinating is not hardly anything, and while I haven't had sex b/c I am afraid of it hurting like that again.,

I have suspected there is something going on down there, things just aren't right, but I don't really know whats wrong. Do you think I should call my midwife and go in early have things tested out? They can do all of those tests or do i have to see a regular doctor? I guess I should give her a call.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#13 of 21 Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 AM

Kimmiepie, that's great that yours cleared up!

Thurs Girl, I'd go in for a test just to rule it out. It very well could be a UTI.

#14 of 21 Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM

They now have self diagnostic tests for UTI's at the drugstore if you're interested in avoiding a trip to your dr. Another way is to check and see if your urine is clear or cloudy, cloudy is most likely due to infection. I was having painful burning sensations and cloudy urine when I started the probiotic/cranberry/colloidal silver and it was all clear by the next day. By the time I saw my OB there were no signs of infection. I'm pretty anti-antibiotics as well. I'm pretty sure that if you're drinking lots and lots of water it would be pretty hard for a UTI to travel to your kidneys. Anyways GL!!
#15 of 21 Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM

I have talked to the midwife and am waiting for the other girl in the office to call me back. It looks like I will have to go see a different doctor since they can't write prescriptions. Which sucks b/c I ONLY have pregnancy medicaid so I was told it doesn't cover anything else, PLUS they haven't sent my card and I can't freaking get a hold of medicaid to save my life to tell them I need the card, or that they misspelled my dd's name.

#16 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I have talked to the midwife and am waiting for the other girl in the office to call me back. It looks like I will have to go see a different doctor since they can't write prescriptions. Which sucks b/c I ONLY have pregnancy medicaid so I was told it doesn't cover anything else, PLUS they haven't sent my card and I can't freaking get a hold of medicaid to save my life to tell them I need the card, or that they misspelled my dd's name.
I'm on pregnancy medicaid too. I am having trouble with them as well.

What doesn't it cover that you're needing? Your medication?

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#17 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 PM

For those of you using the colloidal silver, where did you get your dosage info for pregnancy? I haven't used it in pregnancy because I cannot for the life of me find a definitive, reputable source for dosage info (and my midwife, bless her heart, doesn't use CS so she's not helpful there).

The cranberry I got, but I'm not as concerned about it, since it's a food and not going to do any harm if I take more than the recommended amount. But the colloidal silver concerns me.

Please share if you have dosage info! Thanks

I'm still waiting on the lab results for mine -- the initial results looked okay but they had to send it off for more extensive ones or something. M/w said continue with the cranberry until the results come in, and there's a chance the baby could be positioned funny and that's causing the hesitation/quantity issues. Which means the lower back pain is just normal pregnancy pain. Joy.

Thurs Girl, I hope you get your insurance/prescription stuff cleared up. Bless your heart.

#18 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

I take about 1-2 teaspoons 3 times a day. I don't have a source that I can direct you to, though. I get alot of my information from my friend, IRL who is an expert in homeopathy.
#19 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 PM

Thanks, Larissa. Is that just for a UTI? I admit I'm not well versed on using colloidal silver -- I've only ever used it topically or for minor infection (like my earring hole got infected and I used it topically and also did the spray thing). So I'm very new to it.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I hope your treatment is working well for you! Please keep us posted.

#20 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

I use colloidal silver when I suspect a bacterial infection. So, that is why I am using it for the UTI. Also, when you take the colloidal silver take the 1-2 tsp in your mouth and hold it under your tongue for 30 seconds before swallowing.

I am calling my doctor tomorrow, and letting them know what I am doing for it. Then telling them that I will come in Monday for a retest on the urine. (That will be 7 days on the regimin that I am using) If it hasn't cleared up by then. I will take the antibiotics.
#21 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 10:40 PM

I do the hold in my mouth thing -- I just have a spray bottle rather than a dropper (when I had to choose I decided the dropper would get more germs on it so I'm a sprayer apparently *laughs*).

I'm glad to know there are others here using it safely in pregnancy. That makes me feel better. My naturopath moved out west years ago so I've been flying a bit blind ever since.

I hope the test results come back clear! Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page