what names are you coming up with? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh and I always have a terrible time with names!
So far for a girl, the only one we're really kicking around is Iris, for a boy, Anton is pretty much it. We're not thrilled about either though.

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#2 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 PM

oooh fun. For a boy, our top name is Tristan. For a girl, we have a list. Sarah, Mia, Sadie, Eva, Eve and Sydney.

I had this girls list going great and then the tech said that she "thought" it was a boy at the 12week ultrasound, but she couldn't say for sure. So, for 3 days of panic we had to come up with at least one boys name for me not to accept that this might be a boy. Tristan is the only name I could come up with. I'm kind of warming up to having a little boy named Tristan though

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 PM

i haven't even BEGUN to think of names.
#4 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 PM

We looked back at our list from last time and realized we now hate almost all the names on it! Except for our top girl name, which, neither of us is (or was then) massively in love with, but both have a certain fondness for: Penny, short for Penina.

Other than that, the negotiations have not yet begun. My DH rejects any name that he has ANY sort of connection to: if he's ever known anyone by that name, if it reminds him of a basketball player, etc. It's difficult. I'm open to more names, but I'm all over the place: I like Summer, Casey, and Penina about equally.

For a girl it should be easy because DH's mother is no longer with us; her name was Marly. But last time DH rejected every single M name in all four of our baby name books. Too bad, because I happen to love Miriam.

Plus my mother is pretty desperate that if we have a girl we should at least middle name her after my late grandmother. That could be a name based on either Sara or Lily. Any suggestions for variations of those two names are welcome.
#5 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM

We've had our girl name picked out since before we were pregnant:
Adeline Gayle

Choosing a boy name is not going well. Dh went through an entire baby name book and only liked:
Wyatt
Cole
Corbin
Royce
Ellis
I'm not crazy about any of these names, but I guess they aren't that bad. These are my favourites at the moment (which dh doesn't like):
Lee
Oren

The middle name will be Philip.

We're both hoping it's a girl so we can avoid the name trouble

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#6 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think Oren Phillip sounds great!

DP nixed one of the names that I love, so I let a few weeks pass and suggested it again (as if for the first time) when she was in an agreeable mood, and now it's at the top of our list! Maybe that'll work on your hubby?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#7 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM

We had names long before we were pregnant...and after knowing kids with those names, we don't have them anymore (Nora and Jackson)....nasty little buggers!!! Terrible to say, but true

Now, we have happily settled on Leo Aloysius and Violet Grace. Aloysius is a 4th generation family name on my husband's side (our's would be 5th), and Violets are my favorite flower. Leo is because we were married in August, and my dh is a Leo.
#8 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebelle View Post
i haven't even BEGUN to think of names.
Me neither. We only have middle names picked out. We want to wait to pick out first names until after the kid is born so we have an idea of what he/she is like first.

If the child is a boy, his middle name will be the same as the middle names of his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather - Charles.

If the child is a girl, her middle name will be after one of the most amazing women I was ever blessed to know - Alice.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#9 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 04:37 PM

Meredith Rose for a girl, Micah Robert for a boy.
#10 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 PM

No middle names as of yet but for a girl it's either Abigail or Cordelia and for a boy either Giles or Felix.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#11 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Lil_Mamma View Post
Me neither. We only have middle names picked out.
Us too! For a girl, the middle name will probably be Jean (4th generation - I'm (really) Casey Jean, mom is Leisa Jean, grandma is Emma Jean) or Ruth for my dad's mother (who is like a mother to me).

For a boy, we like Archer for a middle name. I actually like it for a first name, but I refuse to have an "Archie." Especially given the high probability that the baby will have red hair. Huz really likes Zane for a first name, but I'm not sure. Someone here has a son with that name, I think--any issues with it?

And I agree that "re-suggesting" a name a few weeks later is a good way to get it back on the short list...that's how I got Ruth back up there.

#12 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 PM

If it's a girl, we have no clue. I honestly don't have a favorite... well, I really like my name but I'm not going to name my daughter after myself!

If it's a boy, we like the name Daniel b/c the Biblical Daniel was a great guy and also b/c we think it goes well with our last name.

We are not very adventurous when it comes to names! I will often hear a unique name, love it for a couple months, then start to loathe it. I don't trust myself with unique names... I'd rather give my kids a name that has stood the test of time!

Mama to 3 little boys plus someone new in the new year!

#13 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 06:33 PM

I'm refusing to discuss it anymore with SO, because he hates all of my awesome girl names (Lenore, Audrey, Astrid). I'm not even going to think about it again until I'm holding the baby, so to him.
#14 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 PM

For a girl I love the name Lillian. It's the name of my mom's grandmother as well as my dad's grandmother. For middle names I haven't really decided for sure yet, but Elizabeth is one I like after my dad's mom. Boys names have been quite a challenge, like Citykid my hubby rejects just about every name with any sort of association. The only one I really like so far is Vaughn. We'll just have to see what we get!
#15 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 PM

We've decided. Oliver Gordon for a boy and Eliza Kate for a girl. It was easy and quick to decide this time, the only thing we might adjust is the middle names.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#16 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 07:00 PM

Naming a child has to be one of the most difficult life experiences there is. We always have such a hard time with it, especially the girl names. I have my "things" and my dh has his "things". Some of my things being....no names that you can nickname, nothing too ryhming, not too many sylables, no double initals, things like that. I know I'm a nut. We have bent these "things" slightly once or twice, but never on the nickname thing!

Having said that, we have not even discussed names at all yet! We have both always liked and agreed on Ian for a boy but that hasn't been brought up for so long that I'm not sure it would still sound the same to us anymore.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#17 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A problem that I have ... although I don't mind, really ... is that I'm a published YA fiction author (yes, in addition to being a paramedic) and have used a whole whack of my all-time-favourite names for characters already (because for seventeen years I thought I would never have a child). And I think it's arrogant to name our child after a character in one of my books.

I've already used:

Zoe
Seth
Eli
Hope
Sabine
Celeste
Zenith
Isabel (Izzy)
Zara
Charis
Anya
Effie
Talia
Quinn
Mireille
Teal
Teo
Simon
Gryphon
Pheonix
Nadia
Saul
Eva
Oscar

Among others ...

So feel free to use them, mamas!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#18 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 PM

Names are tough for us too- we have a hard time agreeing, and we want it to be something meaningful and unique, as well as appropriate for the baby once it's born. Usually we have a list and then decide a couple days after the baby is born.
We do really love our existing children's names. I have a strong aversion to common names because my name was very popular and it really doesn't hold any meaning or identity for me. We want there to be flexibility with the names too.

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#19 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 PM

No idea...the last two weren't named until they were a couple days old...names are hard for me becasue as a person who sees a lot of young children, I can really see the name trends and it puts me off of a lot of otherwise great names.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#20 of 164 Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 PM

I already posted this in last week's chat thread, but our top girl's name is Cordelia (family name). Next in line is Calista.

My #1 boy's name is Simon but it's probably too popular. Caspian has been on my list for ages (nickname Ian) but I'm worried with the resurgence of the Narnia tales/films that it might seem trendy.

But it will most likely be Cordelia, since it's most likely a girl.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#21 of 164 Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 AM

Since the u/s showed a girl, our name now is Amelia Rylie (Rylie after her big brother Ryland). Her nickname will be Mia. Now, if Mia sprouts a penis in the next u/s, he will be Kyler Matthew Ryland.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#22 of 164 Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 AM

Oh names...so hard! Well, this is what we've been thinking lately. It seems to change often.

Girls: Rowen, Fiona (DH has completely vetoed Delilah wh/ I love)

Boys: Leo...James will be the middle name whatever we decide. I'm not sold on Leo at the moment

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#23 of 164 Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 AM

If we have a girl she will be named Poppy but that's as far as we have gotten. We won't really discuss it until we know the gender.
#24 of 164 Old 08-29-2008, 06:28 PM

Boys: So far we like Lincoln and Andrew.

Girls: We're stumped.
#25 of 164 Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 PM

I've had names picked out for a while:

Girls: Olivia (my favorite), Molly (Andy's favorite)

Boys: Ezekiel "Zeke" (my favorite), Benjamin, Ian, Seamus (Andy hasn't expressed a strong preference for any of these).
#26 of 164 Old 08-29-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an9elkatie View Post
If it's a girl, we have no clue. I honestly don't have a favorite... well, I really like my name but I'm not going to name my daughter after myself!
what about Cady after Elizabeth cady Stanton? Just one of the coolest women ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid View Post

For a girl it should be easy because DH's mother is no longer with us; her name was Marly. But last time DH rejected every single M name in all four of our baby name books. Too bad, because I happen to love Miriam.

I know a little girl named Marley, and it is just such a GREAT name for a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
A problem that I have ... although I don't mind, really ... is that I'm a published YA fiction author

well don't just leave us hanging, titles?

If it is a boy Whitaker William
if it is a girl Jude (most likely) Maybe maybe maybe Cady.
Probably Jude Cady
Jude Meredith....maybe Jude Meredith Cady Smith or Jude Cady Meredith Smith. Oh heck I don't know the middle name.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#27 of 164 Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
A problem that I have ... although I don't mind, really ... is that I'm a published YA fiction author (yes, in addition to being a paramedic) and have used a whole whack of my all-time-favourite names for characters already (because for seventeen years I thought I would never have a child). And I think it's arrogant to name our child after a character in one of my books.
Ha! In a (sort of) similar vein, I'm involved in rabbit rescue and have named a slew of rabbits over the last nine years or so, using many of my cool names. Hey, I don't have to run those past my husband or think of playground teasing with any of these; the decision is simple! We've already recycled one good bunny name for the cat (Tomlinson), but it just seems wrong to give a child a name I've already given to a bunny. These include:

Charlotte
Miriam
Claudia
Rio
Van
Evangeline
Quinn
Finley
Julia
Gloria
Magnus
Lilly
McCartney
Dakota
Milo
Mimi
Maisy
Oliver
Rosalina
Roxy
Samson
Harrison (this one was used for my youngest child's middle name, but he had the name before the rabbit did!)
Asher
Olive
#28 of 164 Old 08-30-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
No middle names as of yet but for a girl it's either Abigail or Cordelia and for a boy either Giles or Felix.
Don't know how I missed this -- but how cool is that? We obviously have a similar taste in names.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#29 of 164 Old 08-30-2008, 10:23 AM

Well, I think that we are having a girl. It's just a feeling and I know I could be wrong. But if it is a girl, my husband has exclusive naming rights. I bargained my rights away to our first girl to get our 2nd son's name.

If it's a boy. I have no clue. We have 3 sons, and I have already used all my favorite names! I am out of ideas!
#30 of 164 Old 08-30-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
Oh names...so hard! Well, this is what we've been thinking lately. It seems to change often.

Girls: Rowen, Fiona (DH has completely vetoed Delilah wh/ I love)

Boys: Leo...James will be the middle name whatever we decide. I'm not sold on Leo at the moment
We added Eliot to the list last night!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page