weekly chat sept 22-29 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hugs all around over the financial situation. Not to be Debbie Downer, but I'm really scared of what the market will do today/Monday. Ugh. Also sort of scared because Huz and I are both "public employees" and we really need both incomes.

BUT thinking happy thoughts instead....

AKislandgirl, let us know how it goes today!

mommabear207, my U/S is on Monday too, and I'm really hoping that baby cooperates. This will probably be our last U/S (had one at 8 wks), and Huz really wants to know what "type" of baby he's getting. And honestly I guess I want to know too, b/c a girl will raise some of my own mother-daughter issues that I probably need to address before baby arrives.

What's everybody else doing to "prepare" for baby at this point? (Especially if you aren't doing a nursery or anything like that.)

#62 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

renee it is tough, DH's paychecks are all over the charts, they will be good and then we will have weeks of tiny checks that just can't pay the bills. He is going to be leaving his company and starting his own which is pretty scary..but something we need to try.

as for getting ready for baby. I am sewing a quilt, i need to make some newborn and small pocket diapers. Also DH is going to be building a new laundry room which also creates extra storage so we can move into the bedroom. PLus a beam under the bedroom needs to be replaced and it needs a new door. I am hoping that it can be done in time, but i don't see how. Money and time constraints.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#63 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 03:55 PM

I'm not doing a lot right now that's specifically to prepare for the baby (aside from the doula interview and other labor prep stuff). I have to go through all of Guinevere's clothes and pull out the newborn stuff, and the receiving blankets, and the small cloth dipes. And by golly, this time I'm getting some Lilypadz! I do not want a repeat of nonstop leaking and cloth pads.

Thankfully there's not a lot that we need to do, since we've got the gear already and will cosleep.

But I am trying to get the house in some semblance of order, and that's definitely ongoing. My husband is working hard to get the basement redone so it can be a playroom. He really wants that done before new baby arrives, so we can move the bigger kid stuff down there. But thankfully, that's all his project.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#64 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 04:44 PM

Hey guys. Sorry for the silly, random question, but I have to ask.

How much room does the baby actually have in there to move around? Because it seems like I only feel solid movment on one side, near my left hip. Then sometimes there are some rolly feelings in the middle, but almost all of the real movement/pressure is on that one side. The other night there were two hard spots there that could have been feet--they moved when I pushed on them. So does the baby sort of stay in one general position/direction, or does s/he swim all over? Again, sorry for the silly question but I'm curious....

#65 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
Hey guys. Sorry for the silly, random question, but I have to ask.

How much room does the baby actually have in there to move around? Because it seems like I only feel solid movment on one side, near my left hip. Then sometimes there are some rolly feelings in the middle, but almost all of the real movement/pressure is on that one side. The other night there were two hard spots there that could have been feet--they moved when I pushed on them. So does the baby sort of stay in one general position/direction, or does s/he swim all over? Again, sorry for the silly question but I'm curious....
Not a silly question at all. It probably feels like you are running out of room, but in reality your baby has plenty of room to move around. The sac grows with the baby so it's not like the baby is in a great big pool or something. I think babies tend to favor an area around this time before their growth really takes off. Mine for instance, always stay real low.....all of the movements I feel are very low, like right above my pubic bone even though my uterus is above my navel now. In a few weeks when the baby starts to add some real weight you will probably feel movement all over. As far as the "feet" you felt....I suppose it could have been. But after seeing and holding a baby at this stage of development I question the reality of the "parts" women think they are feeling. Yes, there is a point where you can definitely feel parts, I love that stage unless you have a baby who really like to stretch out, lol! All the good stuff is coming, trust me. The second half of pregnancy is so interesting and fun! HTH's!

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#66 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 PM

Okay here is my awful, conniving plan to get an ultrasound paid for by my insurance. I called up the local OB/GYN clinic and told them I wanted to be a patient, etc. and fibbed that I didn't know my LMP or conception date. Once I get my ultrasound I'm outta there. Isn't that awful? But it's better than having to pay out of pocket, right? I'll probably only have to have one visit with them, on Tuesday. Hopefully this won't be too horrible!
#67 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 05:58 PM

Eliseatthebeach, thanks for the info and thanks for letting me draw on your experience, despite it being such a sad one. I'm really grateful that you and others are here to share your experiences, good and bad.

DreamsInDigital, no, it's not awful. I told a slightly different lie (with the approval of my midwife) for the same reason, just for this one U/S, and don't feel bad about it at all. Oh well!

#68 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 PM

Justkate - I feel the baby right there too on my left side. Most movements are still low, with the occasional thump towards my belly button.

I have been picking up a few things for baby even though its my third. The seasons are all off so I had to get a few warmer newborn things and I keep getting tempted by beautiful blankets! I still want to pick up a moby wrap really badly too. In other prep I am trying to get the house more organized every month so that by the time baby comes things "feel" organized amidst all the changes. I have to go through the older kids toys and put away things they aren't playing with and then find a place to store some, get another dresser, clean out my freezer and store some new meals etc. If I do a bit every month then it doesn't feel too overwhelming though some days its all I can do to get the kids where they are supposed to be and cook meals . Sometime that extra tiredness just hits me in the afternoon and its all I can do to stay awake!
#69 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 PM

Everything went great today with our U/S...we are having a girl! Very exciting!

We have prepped for baby by organizing the house and buying a king sized bed. Caribou Barbie (aka Sarah Palin) gave all AK residents energy crisis money so we bought a new bed with it. Should I send her a thank you card for helping us to cosleep more comfortably?! (I don't think that is what I'd write if I did send her a letter but I"ll leave that out of this discussion!)

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#70 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 PM

I wish I knew what we were having. I think it's a girl but I'd like to know for sure. The suspense is killing me!
#71 of 111 Old 09-27-2008, 02:02 AM

Wow - another girl for the group! Congrats AKIslandgirl. I wish we had a king size bed. Between me, DH, my body pillow and the 2 cats there is no room left!

Dragging DH to babies r us tomorrow to look at furniture. I really don't know when to start buying stuff but it still feels too early to me. I don't want to jinx anything. Maybe it is bc I come from a jewish family - they're all superstitious. Also going to meet my friend's 1 week old son...can't wait to hold a new baby, knowing i have one growing inside me!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#72 of 111 Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

AKislandgirl congrats on th girl

MomtoXane I am sorry you are struggling with another boy. I think grieving for what you were hoping for will be great and when you see that little guy everything will change.

at some point before baby is born I need to talk dh into buying a new dresser. We will hit up salvation army for it though. Our two girls share a room right now, there are bunk beds in there, tons of toys, and one dresser. Jewel (our older daughter) has her pants and shirts in my dresser in my room. With new baby coming we just need to get another dresser in there room. The toys will coe out of their room and into the playroom (which is presently the room DH and I sleep in. AS I mentioned earlier the "storage" room is supposed to be the master bedroom it just needs a bit of work.) leaving room for two dressers, the bunbkbeds and a crib...that probably won't get used AGAIN but DH is insisting we set back up.

Oh and I mentioned to my friend planning the baby shower maybe having a party afterwords b/c we don't need much baby stuff and what I have really wanted since we were pregnant with Josephine is a building party instead of a baby shower (that people insist you have). I said we should just throw a party afterwords b/c that wouldn't be possible. She asked Why not? and is now planning a building party side by side with the baby shower thing. It will all be at our house and the guys (and girls that want to) will help DH build a laundry room/storage room onto our house. We will have the footers poured, everything planned out and all the materials here. The ladies and kids will just hang out, have a good time, and maybe bring the guys drinks. Then instead of a barbecue we will just order food from somewhere. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my friends? They are so totally these kinds of people that are willing to do things like this. I was really questioning if Chris (DH) could get this all done by himself in time, mostly b/c he is just always working.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#73 of 111 Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Wow, what wonderful friends you have to lend a hand with your building project!
Not sure if I already posted the results of my u/s, but we are expecting a girl, too! What was up with all of us getting pregnant with the girls. Maybe all the mamas not finding out will be the boy contingent of our DDC? There have to be some boys in here, right? Well, I am psyched about a girl for sure. I have loved being mama to my little boy, but I am looking forward to having a daughter. My mom and I are close, and I guess I am hoping for a similar relationship for myself someday. Not so excited about pink, though. I personally almost never wear pink... I wonder if I will just get used to it, or go searching for non-pink stuff for my LO. I know I will be getting some hand me down girly clothing, so if it is all pink, well I will probably just use it to save $$. I don't think I will be dressing her in my sons old truck onesies. Heh-heh. Ah, well, there is time for all that to work itself out. Today, my SIL lent me a giant stash of cloth dipes in tiny-med. sizes. They are all sorts, but mostly AIO flannel/cotton velcro or snap that need a cover. Look pretty good...so that might get me through!
#74 of 111 Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 PM

We just changed our decision for our girl name. Completely out of the blue. How random!

I'm hoping it's a sign.
#75 of 111 Old 09-28-2008, 02:14 PM

I already co-sleep w/ ds but our bed is so small i wake up aching so dh and i are getting a king size!!!! the only other thing i'm doing to get ready is ordering some smaller sized cloth diapers and i got a moby that i'm already using occassionally w/ ds. I'm going to re organize one dresser to share for clothing and i'm planning on re using ds clothes- even if it is a girl- although i might have to splurge and buy a dress or two.
i feel the same as ewolthuis about having the girl/mommy connection but also not wanting all that pink!
#76 of 111 Old 09-28-2008, 02:49 PM

Well, I have started my two week vacation! i arrived at my folks house last night and was greeted by many of my nieces and nephews (sis lives next door to them) which was so much fun! It's nice to be here. I may just kill the rooster that woke me up at 5am but we shall see! My dad and I are about to make a batch of pickles from the cucs in his garden! YUM! My sister is taking me to a consignment shop that has tons of maternity and baby things so I'm looking forward to that. Hope you are all well!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#77 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 AM

justkate, isn't your ultrasound today? i think our ultrasounds are one day apart and mine is tomorrow morning. if so, goodluck mama!!!
#78 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 01:35 AM

akislandgirl, hope you have lots of fun on your vacation! we're coming up to summer here (i'm in the southern hemisphere) and even if i just step into our backyard, it feels like a holiday already... loving the sun and burst of greenery!

well tomorrow i find out what this little bean is! i've been thinking girl since we have 2 girls and there seems to be a large percentage of girls being due in feb! we shall see...
#79 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 AM

Hi everyone, I've been missing a lot lately. We are still getting ready to move but we had the actual move date pushed back to Friday.

I hate to say, but the financial crisis has been really good for us in the moment, at least. Things HAD been REALLY tight for us financially, but now DH has lots of overtime, as much as he wants. He works at a major investment company, one which manages its funds conservatively and isn't in any trouble at all, in the phone center, and EVERYONE is calling in to check on their investments and get money management advice. And in the few spare moments when he doesn't have a call, he calls through his client list to check up on people. He gets bonuses for times when clients bring more money into the company, and that's been happening a lot lately since this investment compnay is very sound and doing well. So we are hoping for a good bonus at the end of the quarter.

We were actually looking to buy a house because real estate prices have come crashing down where we are in a huge way, but we found out that DH's credit score is way worse than we thought. That was really frustrating to find out. : He had some disagreements over amounts he supposedly owed a couple of companies, and then when they sent the charges to collections instead of challenging the amounts he just ignored the bills. Yeah, bad idea. Sigh, oh well . . . we're all allowed to make mistakes . . .

But still, we are going to work hard to bring his score back up within the next year and then we'll probably buy.

In the meantime, this week is going to be annoying because I hate packing and moving!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#80 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM

No real pregnancy updates other than movement is getting more frequent. I'm watching the kids of a friend until her baby is born here in a few weeks. I have the 3yo every monday morning for about 4 hours and the boys every weekday afternoon for three hours after school. Only real downside is that I don't normally get up by 7:30 on a Monday morning. It's a little extra cash in our pocket at a time when we could really use it.

I got stung by a hornet friday and it still hurts and itches plus I have two cold sores that popped up in the middle of the night last night. So I am sleepy and slightly annoyed but it will be ok.

:
#81 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 PM

Another one for our DDC, can you all believe it?!

Level II this morning, everything looked good. It took a little time because the tech really wanted to see the bladder for some reason, and she had apparently just peed before we started. The one thing that stood out was she measured a full week behind where the midwife has me, which is more in line with the 8 wk U/S we had and when I ovulated. I've read that the earlier U/S is more accurate in terms of dating anyway, and this will give me an extra week (in my mind, at least). So I'm "officially" changing my due date to Feb. 17th and the midwives can keep thinking whatever they want.

Now to get used to the idea of my baby girl....

#82 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 12:53 PM

justKate, congrats! We did that too, adjusting our due date-- midwife said Feb. 9th but after the ultrasound and consdiering other factors dh and I think that Feb 15th is a more accurate "due date". Plus add on another week to account for average gestation time, means baby will probably show up around Feb. 22nd or so, and I may very well end up having a little Piscean rather than an Aquarius-- it will be interesting to see when she comes!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#83 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Is it possible to have a nesting surge at 20 weeks? Yesterday I bought supplies to start a baby scrapbook and couldn't put it down until it was up to date through the ultrasound.

Then last night at 8pm, I decide I am going to rearrange 2 bedrooms and do it in about an hour! Luckily, I wore myself out by that point and fell asleep nicely by 10, but geez! It was like I had cabin fever or something and just *needed* to do something.
I have this same surge! (I feel like a presidential candidate using that word!) In the past week I have all of a sudden gotten the energy to tackle these projects that have been on the to-do list forever: rearrange kitchen cabinets, sort and organize baby clothes and hand-me-downs for the kids, scrub refridgerator (really needed to be done!), organize medicine cabinet... I'm glad you've had this too, I was starting to worry I was going to go into VERY early labor!!!

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#84 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 02:15 PM

I'm really having fun with this part of my pregnancy. I'm feeling baby move everyday, some days more than others. I just love the reminder that she's in there, alive and kickin' (literally)! DH and I baby sat our 1 month old nephew the other night, it was fun to practice with such a little baby! My energy seems to come and go. The last few weeks, I have been extreme on the housework. Well, extreme for me anyway. I feel the need to get rid of any and all clutter surrounding me. I've been hitting of garage sales for baby clothes and gear, along with gathering hand-me-downs from family members. I love going through all the clothes! I really want to get started on collecting some cloth diapers, but with the approaching holiday season in the back of my mind, extra money is being set aside to save for gifts. I can't even believe how fast the time is going by! Before we know, Christmas will be here. Speaking of, I keep having this recurring dream that it's Christmas day and I have forgotten. We have no tree or decorations or gifts. It's very depressing!
In two days, I hit 19 weeks. Wow, almost half way there already! I got to see my baby girl on Friday (my second of 5 ultrasounds in the next couple of months). The next one is on my husband's birthday and will be the first time he sees her! I'm excited to see how he reacts. I'm also determined to learn how to knit while I'm out of school over the holidays. Anyone out there with advice in this area??

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#85 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolthuis View Post
Not sure if I already posted the results of my u/s, but we are expecting a girl, too! What was up with all of us getting pregnant with the girls. Maybe all the mamas not finding out will be the boy contingent of our DDC? There have to be some boys in here, right?
Well, we are not going to find out but last week I got the PUPPPs pregnancy rash (sidenote: it SUX! only cure is delivery of the baby! 4 1/2 months away!!!) BUT the cool thing is that 70% of women who get it go on to have boys. They theorize that it is some type of allergic reaction to the male DNA.

So now we are thinking we might be getting a boy. Originally I was pretty sure it was a girl and was happy with that. My DS was very needy as a baby and is still very attached to his mama (which is fine with me!) but I thought it would be harder on him to have a brother to share me with. Also I was afraid another mama's boy would be harder as an infant.

But now when I think about it some more I am starting to chang emy mind. DS has been acting much more like a "boy" lately--wanting to wrestle and just very active and very into playing with figures and stuff. DD has become my little shadow, following me around the kitchen and wanting lots mama time. I think at first they are just going to be reacting to the baby--regardless of gender so it won't matter much. Then when the baby is older, I think two boys might work well in our case. DD could still be my little friend and I don't think she would feel as left out as DS would if the two girls were always playing together. I'm sure that makes no sense, just babbling! And knowing me I'll be in the 30% that gets a girl anyway!

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#86 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 03:13 PM

I'm right there with you mamas on the motivation thing. I'm MOTIVATED like crazy. I totally cleaned out and scrubbed my refrigerator the other day to a sparkling shine. I've been sorting and organizing and cleaning everything in sight and have what feels like endless energy....except when naptime hits. Then, I'm sacked.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#87 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Send some of those energy vibes my way ladies!

We just got back last night from a 5 day emergency road trip. My grandma passed away suddenly, so we've spent the last week driving to and from the funeral in Missouri. Now I'm back home and trying to get caught up on all the chaos I left behind. If anyone wants to do laundry, clean the car and grade papers, I'd love the help!

Truly, I've been lucky pregnancy-wise. I was so glad my evergy levels have been back up and that I wasn't nasuous during the car trip. In fact most of the trip I almost forgot I was pregnant. The baby sleeps during car rides, so I wasn't feeling much movement til I went to sleep.

Now I'm glad to be back and to catch up on all your ladies news of the last week. Looks like lots of ultrasounds!
#88 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM

Well I had my US today too and.... IT'S A GIRL! Surprise huh?! Everything looks good. Keeping the due date of the 15th as this US said 12th give or take a week so its probably accurate. My dh is worried everyone is going to start giving us frilly pink girl stuff and start the stereotypical gender divide. I guess all we can do is not give that stuff to our child....
I'm also having a nesting surge maybe cause by the time i'm 3rd tri and huge i won't have the energy to keep up with ds1 AND deep cleaning. it still feels great to see everything so clean and organized- and its easier to keep it that way.
#89 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 05:13 PM

I kind of love frilly pink stuff and the stereotypical gender divide . . . okay, well, only is it's tastefully frilly . . .

I have been stocking up on soft baby things in delicate floral prints and little hearts and so forth. She's just a baby so she won't really care one way or another what I dress her in as long as she's comfy!

Speaking of comfy baby clothes, I am pretty much skipping the little outfits in sizes 0-3 months and just sticking to very simple gowns and sleepers. These are what I found were the most comfortable for my sons when they were that age. (Gowns are the BEST! Only downside is you can't take them in the car in a gown.) The little matching outfits (pants plus shirt plus jacket or similar set up) don't really fit right at that age anyway, and so they kind of look all funny and scrunched up. IMO, the funnest age to dress is about 10-14 months, when they are standing (so the matching set outfits tend to "hang" right) but still looking all babyish.

#90 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 PM

I, too, like the gender divide. I also have a problem with it, but eh....I like it anyway. I adore cute little boys all decked out in their various styles from surfer to cowboy. I equally adore little girls dressed in play-able, comfortable frilly cowgirl stuff and rough/tumble surfer-chick stuff, as two examples.

Economically, another boy would be easier, since I have all boy stuff...but dressing a girl would be fun and different. Past the attire issue, I just don't care...I want both equally.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page