Anyone not giving newborn Vit. K inj - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
February 2009 > Anyone not giving newborn Vit. K inj
kohlby's Avatar kohlby 02:31 PM 10-20-2008
I am on the fence with vitamin K - but I'm hardly routine. I wish I were, it would make the decision so much easier.

I have two clotting hereditary clotting genes, FVL and MTHFR. If my husband doesn't have them, then there's a 50% chance that my kids do. Both make the blood clot more than it should. (Though it's not common for babies and children to get blood clots from these genes). I'm on heparin shots twice daily, which won't cross the placenta. But I'm also on a daily baby aspirin which does cross in small amounts. I'll be on the aspirin while breastfeeding the baby as well. Plus, my peri said she wanted me on coumadin, not heparin, for the 6 weeks after the birth. If I decide to do the coumadin, then I'll definately get the vitamin K shot - since traces of it does show up in the breastmilk. I'm leaning more toward the heparin though. So, that means I'm on the fence since I'm not sure how much me taking baby aspirin will effect the baby. Plus, I'm not sure how traumatic the birth will be. I am high risk and will need a c-section. Due to my clotting disorders and screwy insulin issues, the baby will be taken a little early - which would make me more apt to want the vit K shot. (Early being somewhere between 37-39 weeks. My other kids were 41 and 42 weeks so even technically "term" sounds early to me).

The other options are MUCH easier since there are no abdnormal risk factors for us.
*No eye ointment
*No newborn bath
*No hep B at that time. I will likely do hep B but delay it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cam&kat's_mom's Avatar cam&kat's_mom 02:53 PM 10-20-2008
We skipped al routine NB procedure with our last. This tiem we will as well. We have it in our birth plan and inform them as soon as we arrive and also one teh baby is born. They just had me sign a form stating that i delined the eye goop, the vit k. Baths are totally optional >Onlyour oldest was bathed at the hospital. becuase we didnt'; really think about it (Sadly he was the one who also got circ'd and got all the routine crap that we now decline, also because we failed to think ) NOW we know better and we do better. Our hospitals dont' do hep b at birth and we don't vax so that one si easy to decline, an also a question abotu soemthign posted above.... if vit k is administered hours after birth (as it is here) how will that help when cutting the cord? isnt' that blood already bleeding? Just curious... mayeb i'm not understand the thought behind it.
Also both of my older 2 that had teh Vit k shot got jaundice and DS #2 did not get the injection and was not jaundice.. so for me that is proof enough tha tit does something odd to MY children's bodies.
cagnew's Avatar cagnew 03:52 PM 10-20-2008
Hmmm. Does the hospital usually have an oral vit K available, or do you have to bring your own?
Eliseatthebeach's Avatar Eliseatthebeach 04:17 PM 10-20-2008
I have the drops......a friend gave it to me. I don't know if the hospital will have it, I would check your hospital.
nighten's Avatar nighten 07:24 PM 10-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
Hmmm. Does the hospital usually have an oral vit K available, or do you have to bring your own?
Not typically. I would talk to your pediatrician and find out if s/he can order it for you, or if you need to get it yourself.
Larissa's Avatar Larissa 08:21 PM 10-20-2008
I always thought that vitamin K contributes to jaundice, and I believe that it most likely does, and please know that I am not being argumentative at all.

However, strangely enough, of my 3 boys only my 2nd child went without the vit. K. We didn't do all the research with my 1st son(except for vaccinations,which we did not do). Anyway, we refused everything with my 2nd son, and we refused everything except the vit. K for my 3rd son. We had planned to not do the vitamin K, but his birth we traumatic enough that we felt it was warrented.

Anyway, of the 3 boys, the only child that I had that was jaundiced, was the 2nd son, who did not get the vitamin K. Somewhat interesting. Because everything that I have read leads me to believe that vit K helps contribute to it.
My*Scorpio's Avatar My*Scorpio 06:22 PM 10-21-2008
:
mclisa's Avatar mclisa 10:57 PM 10-21-2008
We're not doing the eye antibiotic. I tested negative to GC/Chl and so I feel no need for it. This baby is low risk for hep B exposure so we're declining that as well. We won't circ either.
nighten's Avatar nighten 01:10 PM 10-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post
I always thought that vitamin K contributes to jaundice, and I believe that it most likely does, and please know that I am not being argumentative at all.

However, strangely enough, of my 3 boys only my 2nd child went without the vit. K. We didn't do all the research with my 1st son(except for vaccinations,which we did not do). Anyway, we refused everything with my 2nd son, and we refused everything except the vit. K for my 3rd son. We had planned to not do the vitamin K, but his birth we traumatic enough that we felt it was warrented.

Anyway, of the 3 boys, the only child that I had that was jaundiced, was the 2nd son, who did not get the vitamin K. Somewhat interesting. Because everything that I have read leads me to believe that vit K helps contribute to it.
I'm not arguing as I don't know if that's the case or not, but there is also information suggesting delaying cutting the cord can cause increased jaundice (which I think is not a good enough reason to NOT delay cutting the cord -- the benefits far outweigh that possible risk, IMO). Honestly, I'm inclined to think that minor jaundice is just a normal state for most babies in the days post-partum, and while there are definite causes for concern in extreme situations, etc., it strikes me that oftentimes the cause/effect relationships seem anecdotal.

Could be the Vitamin K played a part, or it could be it was something else entirely. Either way, it's certainly worth considering, if jaundice is a concern for you.
Dizzie's Avatar Dizzie 11:12 PM 11-18-2008
We had no intention of doing the Vitamin K, particularly in injection form. Drops were a possibility only and l had discussed this with my obstetrician. He had issues about the absorption, measuring and baby swallowing the oral dose but still respected my wishes.

DD's birth was a normal delivery with no trauma or an increased risk of bleeding however, a couple of hours after DD was born she slowly started to bruise up. The staff recommended the administering of the Vitamin K via injection and after some discussion DH and l decided to allow it. Do l regret it? Definetly not. Given the situation if something happened to her, then l would've lived with regret for the rest of my life. The hospital did not have the oral dose available on hand and we felt it necessary for DD to have Vitamin K without any further delay.
BathrobeGoddess's Avatar BathrobeGoddess 01:30 AM 11-19-2008
not and only oral if there is an indication for it...

you know they didn't even do it and the eye junk when my eldest was born as a routine thing (also not strep B test)...she is only 13...
Citykid's Avatar Citykid 01:20 PM 11-19-2008
Well I am in NY and as a PP mentioned, Vit K and eye goop are law here. My MW was very firm about it last time. I wonder if it will be different at a homebirth. I'll ask my MW when I see her tomorrow.
tomsTXmom's Avatar tomsTXmom 03:08 PM 11-20-2008
We will decline everything.

Tracy
Due Valentines '09
Kraysmommy's Avatar Kraysmommy 07:21 PM 11-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsTXmom View Post
We will decline everything.

Tracy
Due Valentines '09
We are having a homebirth and declining these. If I got transferred to a hospital I would probably get the Vit K. (If I got transferred it means something went wrong.)

Tough choices.
Just1More's Avatar Just1More 12:18 AM 11-26-2008
We decline all of the above. BUT...if we had any risk factors, we'd reconsider.
mamazee's Avatar mamazee 05:25 PM 11-30-2008
I didn't do the eye drops or the vaccine, and our hospital doesn't even do newborn baths, with #1. I did do the Vitamin K thing but I understand why other people choose differently - there are risks on both sides and we each as parents have to weigh the risks and make our own choices. I plan for the same this birth.
Auroara Bobcat's Avatar Auroara Bobcat 05:44 PM 11-30-2008
I do not know if someone has already posted this but if the baby is breastfed then he/she will be getting all of the vitamin k that it needs beacause there are ample amounts already present in the breastmilk. I'm sure you could eat more foods rich in vitamin k around your last month or two of pregnancy so more may be present in your breastmilk and it is also good for the mother incase of excessive bleeding and such.
Jenivere's Avatar Jenivere 02:27 AM 12-01-2008
It's all anecdotal but my son (oldest) received the vit k (hospital) and had his chord cut right away; he developed jaundice. My girls received no vit k (homebirths) and we delayed cutting their chords; no jaundice. All three were breastfed, first two were born in winter and third in June.
kohlby's Avatar kohlby 05:43 PM 12-01-2008
Are any of you worried about pristine gut with the vitamin K drops? From what I've read, the drops are safer than the shots but then I worry about ruining the pristine gut. Since my last post, I've decided to do heparin, instead of coumadin, and to go off baby aspirin for 6 weeks post-partum so that means I can avoid vitamin K if I want. (Though I haven't talked to my peri about going off the aspirin! She was fine with me choosing heparin instead of coumadin though).
merebella's Avatar merebella 02:11 PM 12-04-2008
We'll be declining the shot, but doing the oral dose (which I found at birthwithlove.com - not easy to find oral vit. k!)

And, in response to vit. k in breastmilk, everything I've read says the opposite: that vit. k doesn't translate well through breastmilk and that those babies actually need more than formula babies (because they put synthetic vit. k in the formula). So you may want to check that out. If you google vitamin k breastfeeding, you come up with lots of results. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link.
1  2

Up