Weekly chat Oct. 18th-24th - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a pic of us in the snow earlier this week!
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...October061.jpg
It's all melted now, but we had accumulation!

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#92 of 97 Old 10-25-2008, 11:14 AM

I had a prenatal yesterday. All is weell, she told me not to stress about my weight. We looked at my weight when I was PG with Yarrow and I was lighter when I got PG with ehr so my weight was just the same at this point. I am measuing dead on and guess hwta?

Baby is head down and fornt to back with me! You have no idea what a big deal this is to me...I have had two posterier labors and with dd when to the chiropractor to get dd out of the back to back postion before labor. I know babies can move but ever other baby I had has been back to bakc with me at this pont!!!

Fundus is high, about three inches above my navel...One of the drawbacks of being short waisted...baby will be in my ribs before too long!

We had a bit of a VBAC talk...she wants to make sure I know that whatever I'm feeling about it, she is all about talking about it. I feel just fine about it!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#93 of 97 Old 10-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
I tried using a diaphragm several years ago and I kept getting a UTI from it. Not pleasant to say the least. But, it took several days for that to happen and I really loved it at first. I wonder if I could try it again without getting a UTI? Something to think about.
That's odd. Are you prone to UTIs? Were you leaving it in too long after? Maybe it was a poor fit? What an odd thing for it to affect your urinary tract. I know not emptying your bladder before/after sex can trigger UTIs, but hadn't heard of a diaphragm doing it. That does suck.

Just found this on Wiki, and it makes sense:

Quote:
Diaphragms are associated with an increased risk of urinary tract infection (UTI)[27] Urinating before inserting the diaphragm, and also after intercourse, may reduce this risk.[1]

The increase in risk of UTI's may be due to the diaphragm applying pressure to the urethra, especially if the diaphragm is too large, and causing irritation and preventing the bladder from emptying fully. However, the spermicide nonoxynol-9 is itself associated with increased risk of UTI, yeast infection, and bacterial vaginosis.[28] For this reason, some advocate use of lactic acid or lemon juice based spermicides, which might have fewer side effects.[29] Although these alternative spermicides have been shown to immobilize sperm in the laboratory, their effect on pregnancy rates in humans has never been studied.

It has also been suggested that, for women who experience side effects from nonoxynol-9, it may be acceptable to use the diaphragm without any spermcide. One study found an actual pregnancy rate of 24% per year in women using the diaphragm without spermicide; however, all women in this study were given a 60mm diaphragm rather than being fitted by a clinician.[30] Other studies have been small and given conflicting results.[31][32] The current recommendation is still for all diaphragm users to use spermicide with the device.[9]
Was yours a fitted or a standard size? If you give birth vaginally, that will change the size you need likely, as well, so something to think about. But if it's the spermicide, you might need to look into something other than a diaphragm. Dang, that sucks. Bladder infections are the worst.

---

Queen of my Castle, what a great picture! It's finally cooling off properly here, and I'm so glad. I hate the heat so much.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#94 of 97 Old 10-25-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
I tried using a diaphragm several years ago and I kept getting a UTI from it. Not pleasant to say the least. But, it took several days for that to happen and I really loved it at first. I wonder if I could try it again without getting a UTI?
You might try something made from silicone instead of latex. I used a femcap and I've heard of others that are out there. It's something you'd have to request. I got mine from my naturapath.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#95 of 97 Old 10-25-2008, 06:03 PM

New thread here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=988624

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#96 of 97 Old 10-26-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Powdered magnesium in water just before bed and a couple sprays of Rescue Remedy Sleep Spray...
Hmm, there may be something to do that. I went to a naturopath Friday and she has me off dairy, so she has me taking a calcium/magnesium supplement before bed. So far, no waking. I'll try the Sleep Spray if that doesn't help.

I also found getting up, writing down all the "to do" things that were running through my head and having a snack, and going back to bed helped the other night.
#97 of 97 Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I never stop eating it seems....

I'm Catholic, so no bc here (I wouldn't use it anyway). We want a big family, so we have no plans to specifically avoid pregnancy. After having two miscarriages, successful pregnancy seems almost magical. I might not think so five kids down the line...

This baby doesn't move much. Dd used to move ALL THE TIME. I don't mean sweet little kicks either- she thrashed around day and night. Even the u/s tech hadn't seen one like her before, and the u/s took forever b/c she wouldn't sit still for the tech to get the measurements. Come to think of it, she still hasn't stopped moving....

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page