Mothering Forum banner

Lactating?

621 views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Eliseatthebeach 
#1 ·
This is my first so it's all new to me. I'm curious to know just how early milk production can start! I know it's before baby arrives but yesterday after I'd dried off from my shower, I noticed a drop on my nipple. It wasn't entirely clear so I was suspicious, though at 23 weeks it seems awfully early! A bit of a squeeze and I could create more drops!

#2 ·
I'm also 23 weeks, and I haven't noticed liquid but I have been seeing some dried crustiness the last few days. I've been wondering the same thing. This is my first too, so I'm in the same boat as you. I'm interested to see the replies...

#3 ·
I've been leaking at night for about a week now. It was actually at about 19wks that it started with my son. I can soak a t-shirt sometimes.

#4 ·
It varies from person to person. I've heard that some people leak before the baby is actually born. I have never done that with any of my babies. But I also don't have that problem with leaking after my milk comes in either. I lucked out. I don't even have to wear nursing pads in my bra. (and I have exclusively nursed all of my babies!)

#5 ·
Last pregnancy, I started sleeping with a towel under me towards the end! (Nothing else on top...) But I don't remember when this happened last pregnancy, and so far at 26 weeks, no leaking yet.
I was a leaky lactator, though. Nursing pads for months and months.... We'll see how my boobs do this second time around!

#7 ·
I'm also "lactating" the liquid gold. I noticed that one of my breasts was kind of hurting and sure enough, when I checked it out, my breasts were leaking. I just stopped breastfeeding my youngest last November, so it hasn't been that long since I've been breastfeeding.

Lisa

#9 ·
I have found some dried colostrum on my nipples, have so for over a month. (I am 26 weeks now) My boobs are also starting to fill out again.
:

#11 ·
I'm glad to hear Larissa's response. I've never leaked and I'm jealous. I had trouble with milk production last time, but I've since found out that a few of the interventions we received are likely to have caused it, and so am hopeful I will be able to nurse without problems this time. It sure would be nice to leak right now and know that my breasts are ready. I can get a tiny bit of clear fluid when I squeeze really hard, but that's it.

#12 ·
But you don't have to leak to have good milk production. I never leak before baby is born or after and have successfully nursed all 3 of my babies for close to two years. And I even nurse my babies exclusively for 9 months. (when I just start to introduce solids)

#14 ·
Thanks Ladies!

While I've done tons of reading on infancy and early childhood, I never bothered with pregnancy stuff. I figured my body would know what needed to be done. This is just one more sign that nature is working as intended!

#16 ·
Larissa, thanks again! It's so good to hear that you can make plenty of milk and not leak. Last time my mom brought me a cabbage to help with the engorgement we all expected I would have. It sat in my fridge and depressed me for two weeks. Here's to trouble-free nursing for all of us!

#18 ·
I wish I was lactating!! My dd is still nursing and I'm pretty sure I'm dry, it's uncomfortable but not painful. She knows the good stuff is coming back in a few short months. I think she's holding out, lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.