Help me make a baby needs list ... please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-07-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is baby #3 for us so I should have my act together but I just don't, I swear I've been operating on 5% mental capacity since the day I conceived. Here's the list I have so far, I welcome your input and will revise the first post as suggestions come in.

Somewhere to sleep:

*Make our bed safe for cosleeping
*Amby Baby hammock (needs new spring and mattress)

Something to eat:

*Boobs
*Breast pump (I'm a low supply Mama)
*Bottles (I tossed all my BPA bottles from before and don't know what kind to get this time)
*Nursing bras (hopefully my old ones will fit)

Clothes:

*One dozen 0-3 month sleepers
*One dozen undershirts
*several cute outfits
*6 gowns
*socks
*Hats

Blankets:

*3 swaddling blankets (1 miracle blanket & 2 Swaddle-Me)
*Receiving blankets
*Knitted blanket (almost done)
*Other assorted blankets left over from other kids

Carriers:

*Ring sling
*Butterfly Beco II

Diapers:

*Lots of cloth diapers (need 2 more covers)
*Cloth wipes
*Wipes warmer & change table

Car seat:

*Infant seat
*Convertible car seat
*Car seat cover (It's cold in Canada)

Other stuff:

*Playpen (to protect the wee one from her big brother when Mama has to pee or something
*Bouncy seat

The stuff in bold is the stuff I do not have yet.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 PM

Comments in blue. Some of my notes are budget-based suggestions. If they're not necessary, feel free to ignore them.

Somewhere to sleep:

*Make our bed safe for cosleeping http://www.snugtuckpillow.com
*Amby Baby hammock (needs new spring and mattress) http://www.amby-baby-store.com/us/index.php?c=4

Something to eat:

*Boobs
*Bottles (I tossed all my BPA bottles from before and don't know what kind to get this time) Born Free! They are AWESOME. The bottles all fit the various spouts -- both nipple spouts and sippy cups. They're all interchangeable. None of the parts have BPA (never have) and they're not made in China (made in Israel). Babies-R-Us, Target, health food stores, etc. And you might check Amazon.com -- I've seen some good deals there too.

Clothes:

*One dozen undershirts I like the side-snap kind. Check places like Marshalls/TJ Maxx if you're on a budget. Target usually has the Gerber ones in stock.
*several cute outfits

Blankets:

*Receiving blankets Again, I'd go to TJ Maxx type places first, but I'm on a budget. Target has some. BRU has some organic ones, even.

Carriers:

*Ring sling
*Butterfly Beco II

It's obviously a personal thing, but I like pouches for newborn, and Ergo for later, but that's just me. Beco doesn't fit me well because of my frame though (I love my FreeHand though ). Try www.thebabywearer.com's FSOT forums if you're looking for a gently used or pre-owned Beco.

Diapers:

*Cloth wipes I would post in the Diapering forum for suggestions on most affordable ones. I had some bookmarked from a while back but the links aren't good anymore. :/ I'm going to use our plethera of baby washcloths, because the cloth wipes I have are really just too thick.

Car seat:

*Infant seat
*Convertible car seat
*Car seat cover (It's cold in Canada)

Other stuff:

*Playpen (to protect the wee one from her big brother when Mama has to pee or something
*Bouncy seat

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 17 Old 11-07-2008, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I had a pouch with my youngest but sold it, I never liked it. I love my ring sling though and the Beco looks good for small babies. I have an Ergo that I'm going to sell.

I'll look into the Born Free bottles. I was thinking about the Adiri bottles, they look like they'd be good for breastfed babies.

I think the cheapie baby washcloths make the best cloth wipes too, they're nice and thin and just the right size. We keep them in the wipes warmer with a homemade solution of water, baby shampoo and a few drops of olive oil.

So you don't think I'm missing anything obvious?
#4 of 17 Old 11-07-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post

So you don't think I'm missing anything obvious?

Hats!! Lots of hats, especially considering you are in Canada! :

Pacifier....you never know if you'll need/want one. I had one who loved it and two who would never take one. I know some people have pretty strong feelings about these but I say if it helps, then why not?

If I can think of anything else I'll post later.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#5 of 17 Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 PM

I haven't ever used the Adiri. We used the Avent bottles when I had to pump briefly some early on (didn't know about the BPA thing ) but switched to Born Free for sippy cups, and have some bottles on hand that we used briefly when she weaned a few months ago, for her nighttime water. That's how I know the tops all interchange. I'm a big fan of it, because we'll still be using the sippy cups when this baby's born, and it's handy to only have to buy nipples, if that makes sense.

I don't know much about Adiri, but aren't they the ones that the whole thing is connected? So there is no interchanging nipples as baby grows? That would be my only concern. Otherwise they look really cool.

Guinevere did not work in any of my mei tai type carriers early on, but she was a tiny baby. I actually preferred my mei tai to the Ergo for the older infant stage, until we got to the point where she dropped her second nap. Then I switched to the Ergo because that became the best way to get her to sleep, and it was easier to get her out of the Ergo without waking her, than to get her out of the mei tai, because all the straps and whatnot. But I know it's all very subjective. Sounds like you've got a good plan there.

The only things I didn't see on your list were socks and hats. And you might look into some supplements for increasing supply too? Though hopefully this time around it will be a nonissue. Other than that stuff, I can't think of anything, but hopefully other mamas here can.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#6 of 17 Old 11-07-2008, 11:32 PM

what about gowns? We love them when they are little, baby can move, changes are easy, and their little legs don't get stuck in them like the legs of sleepers... baby socks?

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#7 of 17 Old 11-08-2008, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseatthebeach View Post
Hats!! Lots of hats, especially considering you are in Canada! :

Pacifier....you never know if you'll need/want one.
Neither of my boys ever took a pacifier despite me buying every one on the market. I think we'll play it by ear and see how she does.

Hats!! Of course!! I completely forgot about hats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
The only things I didn't see on your list were socks and hats. And you might look into some supplements for increasing supply too? Though hopefully this time around it will be a nonissue.
I have lots of socks, I just forgot to put them on the list, I'll need hats though.

My supply is great for the first 6 months and then drops off dramatically after that. Even with large quantities of domperidone I was only able to nurse my youngest for 9 months. I plan on pumping and freezing lots when my supply is good in the beginning so that if it drops off again this time I'll at least have a stash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyandmikey View Post
what about gowns? We love them when they are little, baby can move, changes are easy, and their little legs don't get stuck in them like the legs of sleepers... baby socks?
I have 6 gowns, aren't they wonderful? I forgot to put those on the list too.
#8 of 17 Old 11-09-2008, 09:36 AM

Bottles ~ Born Free! I got a gift set for my shower from Babies 'R Us.

Wipes ~ These are super soft, but as this is my first I can't attest to how they hold up.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#9 of 17 Old 11-09-2008, 12:37 PM

This is baby #3 for us so I should have my act together but I just don't, I swear I've been operating on 5% mental capacity since the day I conceived. Here's the list I have so far, I welcome your input and will revise the first post as suggestions come in.

Somewhere to sleep:

*Make our bed safe for cosleeping
*Amby Baby hammock (needs new spring and mattress) You can make the mattress, some foam and a cover...

Something to eat:

*Boobs
*Bottles (I tossed all my BPA bottles from before and don't know what kind to get this time) I would get glass, even flow makes them...Target has them

Clothes:

*One dozen undershirts
*several cute outfits
*6 gowns
*socks
*Hats

Blankets:

*Receiving blankets I get these second had likeat a thrift stores...they are cheap and already soft

Carriers:

*Ring sling
*Butterfly Beco II

Diapers:

*Cloth wipes I make mine, out of receiving blankets I buy at the thrift store,two layers, zig-zag the edges, cheap and easy, I think less than 2 cents a wipe!

Car seat:

*Infant seat yeah me too!
*Convertible car seat
*Car seat cover (It's cold in Canada) Make mine as well, also very easy!

Other stuff:

*Bouncy seat

The stuff in bold is the stuff I do not have yet.

Any thoughts?

I'm a sewer so I like to make stuff...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#10 of 17 Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
*Bottles (I tossed all my BPA bottles from before and don't know what kind to get this time)
You said you're in Canada right? I thought all of Canada pulled and banned all BPA baby bottles and stuff from the market so anything in store should be safe? (Or was that just Ontario? There was a huge thing where Zellers and Wal-mart I believe both gave refund gift cards even for used bottles and stuff without a receipt to replace stuff people had.)
#11 of 17 Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 AM

Just wanted to tell you about my friend who had to use domperidone with her first baby until she weaned, and never had a single supply issue with her second! So, there is hope that you may not have to deal with that this time around. Of course, I know you still want to be prepared in case, but I just thought I'd throw that out there!
#12 of 17 Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie193 View Post
You said you're in Canada right? I thought all of Canada pulled and banned all BPA baby bottles and stuff from the market so anything in store should be safe? (Or was that just Ontario? There was a huge thing where Zellers and Wal-mart I believe both gave refund gift cards even for used bottles and stuff without a receipt to replace stuff people had.)
They did, all bottles and sippy cups are BPA free in Canada now. I am just not sure what kind of bottles to get this time around as I have no bottles right now. I used Avent last time but Avent hasn't gone BPA free so you can't get their bottles here.
#13 of 17 Old 11-10-2008, 11:25 PM

Really? There was a post on my local forum about how there are bpa free Avent bottles now b/c someone was horrified at seeing someone use an Avent bottle and everyone replied saying they look the same as before and are bpa free now. Here's a link from a few months ago where you could even call and they would send you free samples:

http://smartcanucks.ca/avent-canada-...tles-and-cups/

Anyway, hth if you are wanting to use Avent again!
#14 of 17 Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie193 View Post
Really? There was a post on my local forum about how there are bpa free Avent bottles now b/c someone was horrified at seeing someone use an Avent bottle and everyone replied saying they look the same as before and are bpa free now. Here's a link from a few months ago where you could even call and they would send you free samples:

http://smartcanucks.ca/avent-canada-...tles-and-cups/

Anyway, hth if you are wanting to use Avent again!
You're absolutely right, I looked it up and BPA Avent bottles have been available since August. I last looked in June or July and didn't realize there had been a change.
#15 of 17 Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 AM

Aack! You are soooo far ahead of me! I am thinking I must have most things I need since it's #3 On the other hand, dh has done a lot of rearranging lately and I've realized I have no idea where the little clothes are! Yikes!

We had this http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalo...tegoryId=86211 from One Step Ahead for an infant seat cover and liked it alot. Although we are in TN, it was a gift from a friend in MI that loved hers, so it might work for you.

About receiving blankets, I really liked the plain ol' flannel type from Child of Mine at Walmart. Also, do you want/need a sleep sac? We used one after we were done swaddling ~4 months or so.

Argh...now to make my own list!
#16 of 17 Old 11-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Nothing to add, but thanks for the list, Baby Makes 4! I'm going to copy/paste it and make my own list....

#17 of 17 Old 11-15-2008, 11:25 PM

I agree with the lots of hats. It will be cold in Feb. Also I LOVED the nightgowns. They are so easy at night. The hotsling is a must for me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page