measuring "big" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-11-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi- I am relatively new, don't post a lot, but appreciate all the post and information shared. Anyway, my guess date for our first child is Feb 27 and I am certain that we concieved first week of June. I just had my 24.5 week appointment this morning and am measuring 28!! Okay, I am 5'2 and i usually hover between 110 and 115. I have gained nearly 20 lbs and just wanted some feeback re: measurements, accuracy, why not to worry and other folks experiences. I love my midwife and she is not alarmed and said that the baby is high and since I am petite I may measure bigger. I am also healthy and have had an uneventful, stressfree pregnancy. Maybe this is psychological b/c I fancy myself more of a small person and measuring 'big' is strange to me. . Thanks, ladies!
#2 of 8 Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM

I measured 3-4wks ahead from 10wks-24wks. Since then I've measured exactly right for dates. It's only fundal height, it doesn't really indicate the size of the baby. Fluid levels, baby's position, mother's anatomy can all affect the measurement. Also while one MW might measure you at 28, another might only measure 26. HTH!
#3 of 8 Old 11-11-2008, 03:26 PM

I always measure big - though it's on ultrasound too, not just fundal height. I do have enormous babies. However, even with being far ahead on ultrasounds, I've been told they grow at different rates. That a huge baby at 20 weeks can be a small baby at 30 weeks. It was never true for me, but I was told that most end out evening out by the end!

*When I was pg with DD, I had to see a different dr twice due to my dr being out of town. The other dr did measure my fundal height even further off than my dr did.
#4 of 8 Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 PM

For my first, I measured several weeks ahead on fundal height starting at 25ish weeks. He was born at 40 weeks at 6 lbs 15 oz.

For my second, I measured several weeks ahead on fundal height again. He was born at 41 weeks at 7 lbs 10 oz. I only gained 18 lbs that pregnancy (verses the 53 with my first pregnancy)

I am a short person (5' tall) and just carry outward).

This time, Amelia is measuring 1-2 weeks ahead on ultrasound and has since 17 weeks. I know exactly when I ovulated (and have during each one of my pregnancies) and the early 1st trimester ultrasounds were always on target with those ovulation dates. Since Amelia will be a preemie, if any of my children needed to be bigger, she'd be the one. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 8 Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 AM

I was also measuring ahead by 6 cm at 20 wks. Like you, I felt totally normal and healthy, but was still stressing out a little bit about why I was big, whether there were two in there etc. I was always right on measurement with my first. Im still measuring a bit big now (30 cm at 28 wks), but nothing like before. I think babies just grow at different rates, and the measurement can be a bit inaccurate too. I know its hard, but try not to worry.

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#6 of 8 Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 AM

Two appts ago I was measuring ahead, but then at my last appt I was right on schedule. Although there are so many factors that could affect your size, so I wouldn't worry about it.

PS I don't know why there is an exclamation mark at the top of my post and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#7 of 8 Old 11-19-2008, 03:23 PM

I always measure ahead on fundal measurements (when my OB does them, he often just skips them). I'm 5'3" and carry rather high and way out, lol. My biggest baby has been 7#8oz, he was the one I measured more normally w/ b/c little to no amniotic fluid. I measured 5-6 wks ahead at the end w/ my oldest b/c I had a LOT of amniotic fluid so there's all kinds of things it could be. My dr just laughed last time and told me I was measuring ahead as usual.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#8 of 8 Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 PM

Gillian, it looks like the exclamation point is in your title field, which you have to do advanced editing to get at.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page