Mothering Forum banner

Let's talk momma cloth

588 views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  K&JsMaMa 
#1 ·
I intend to use cloth after birth this time... I used sposie pads last 2 times, but started to use cloth for my regular cycles before getting pregnant this time.

I was lucky in that my cycles became shorter and lighter when I used cloth, but I have no idea how it'll be post partum? I make pads, so I need to get started on my supply soon. How many will I need?? I have lots of regular sized ones, a few 'long' ones, but how big should I make the PP ones? I made a few tester ones, but I really have no clue until I use them...

So, if someone has used cloth PP before, how did it work? How many pads and how large did you need them?
Thanks!!

#3 ·
What you COULD do would be to take half a cup of water, maybe a full cup and see how much liner it takes to absorb before you start planning your pattern. Any more than that and you've hit hemorrhage and need to talk to your provider anyway.

I know right after birth I need LOTS of liner, I bleed like a stuck pig though
I like big pads too, which most people don't like. Maybe six to eight 12" pads, with two fleece layers...just in case, and then some overnight-sized ones. That will give you some to have, and then some to wash. What do you think?

#4 ·
I'm a firm believer that nothing beats Depends underwear for the first couple days pp (if you're in your own bed anyway and will have to clean up any mess yourself). No need to worry about leaks when you're spending most of your time in bed. After that, anything that would work for heavy flow should be ok for 2 or 3 more days, regular stuff after. Maybe I just don't bleed that much.

#5 ·
i'm glad to see this posted - i've been kinda stressing over the PP mama cloth lately. not really sure what to do.

i'd prefer to use cloth - i do cloth for around the house normally and it's so much more comfy - but nice PP pads are $$, which i could justify if i could wear them afterward. from what i hear though, they have to be pretty big to catch everything. i've tried the long/wide overnight cloth pads before and i don't know if i'm tiny, or if they're enormous, but they were bunchy and blech. the couple i had, i ended up cutting down and serging the edges to make them wearable...

so yeah, i'm thinking i might just suck it up and buy that pack of depends, and use my regular heavier mama cloth for when it starts to ease up...

#6 ·
Well, I tried it with the last one, but found that I needed to change the pad waaaay too often to make it practical for the first 4 days. I had to change every time I stood up post partum. So I used 'sposies for a bit then switched over when I stopped "gushing" at every movement.

So either make lots, or really absorbent ones that are easy to wash and dry.

#7 ·
Oh my gosh, why didn't I ever think of the Depends idea before??? I am such a bleeder after pg. Major gush for awhile and constantly changing even huge, w/wings pads and oftentimes my underwear because I soak through or around the sides. I'm doing the Depends this time!! Sorry off topic but I love this idea!

#9 ·
First time mom here.

Okay so I have to admit that this part is a bit scary for me. Let me get this straight...after I have the baby I am going to bleed for awhile and will need some kind of heavy pads or diapers? Yuck! That doesn't sound very attractive. I am definitly wanting to be eco-friendly, but have no idea about making my own pads...is there another way? Any companies making a cloth diaper for adults? How long do I have to wear them? or How many will I need?

This is one thing that I wish I would have known more about before I got pregnant

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies!
I guess I am lucky that I have the supplies and machines to make my own pads (I have a diaper business) so I will probably make a few really large pads and then some that are a little smaller.

I will just have tyo make a bunch of each because I know that the one that I make only 1 or 2 of will be my favorite, lol!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoddessJ View Post
First time mom here.

Okay so I have to admit that this part is a bit scary for me. Let me get this straight...after I have the baby I am going to bleed for awhile and will need some kind of heavy pads or diapers? Yuck! That doesn't sound very attractive. I am definitly wanting to be eco-friendly, but have no idea about making my own pads...is there another way? Any companies making a cloth diaper for adults? How long do I have to wear them? or How many will I need?

This is one thing that I wish I would have known more about before I got pregnant

Well, after the baby is born, you get a "period" that can last up to six weeks- it is called lochia. Your regular menstrual cycle is when your body sheds the uterine lining that it collects for about a month. At the time of birth- you haven't shed the lining for nine months- so it gets shed with the major hormone changes that occur after the birth. In my experience, I didn't need a diaper or anything like that- but the bleeding was very heavy for 3-4 days after birth, and then slowly trailed off over another 2-3 weeks. I was fine with bigger, heavier duty pads for those first few days, but I had to change them every 2 hours. If you overdo things and are too active before your body is ready you can get longer periods of heavier bleeding, or the bleeding can last longer, or get heavier after it has been light. Of course, it varies by woman.

It actually isn't really that scary or gross. But I tend to be "leaky" and ruined some robes and nightgowns when I had DS because the first couple days were just heavy.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoddessJ View Post
First time mom here.

Everyone is different. I don't just have a heavy period for a few days, I flood for several days and then it tapers off to like a medium period for a few weeks and then a light period for a week or so and then just spotting and finally to nothing by 6 weeks. Some women don't bleed quite that badly and some really bad. It's not scary though. It's normal, just part of the not-so-fun post partem stuff.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by baileyandmikey View Post
Yes, different for every woman. In the beginning I bleed like crazy... but it tapers off after a few days, then down to a mild period... and then goes away. The more I nurse, the quicker it goes it seems.
Same for me. With my first one it lasted about 6 weeks. With my second baby I was tandem nursing and I was done with the bleeding after only three weeks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.