Getting a shower now....baby shower that is. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, what is one to ask for??? Most of these people will not shop online and will mostly shop at Target and Walmart. So help me out. I don't NEED alot, but... if they want to purchase something who am I to stop them? lol.

So far... I need pacifiers, bpa free bottles, sheets for the cosleeper, a pump (but I think that might be too expensive to ask for).... so what else should I ask for?

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#2 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Lots of washclothes? I think if you put down a pump and breastfeeding supplies, you'll get a lot of repeats...but the great thing is you can take it back and get a Target card We do that nearly every birthday.

Seriously, what if you requested something like a dinner shower? We did that for my friend...everyone brought either a frozen dinner or a box with the stuff to MAKE an easy dinner, with a recipe. It was so awesome, and she just stored it in her cabinets/freezer by meal.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#3 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 03:11 PM

I registered at Babies R Us & at TheThingsIWant.com (for more natural stuff).

You may want things like: slings, carriers, books, baby bathtub (if you feel you would use one), bouncer, mattress protector, cloth diapers/wipes, natural toys, Boppy & covers, cool mist humidifier, changing pad (even if u aren't using a table), bibs, food processor, first aid/grooming kit, etc.

-
#4 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 PM
JMJ

I'm having to gauge the people that are coming to my shower. For me, I think that the average person coming to my shower will not want to spend more than about $15-20. One of the best ideas that has been thrown out is to have a diaper party and have each person contribute what they would like to for a nice cloth diaper stash. The only problem is that I want to order the diapers online, so I might have to get my maid of honor (who is putting on my shower) to order it and have people pay her back, and if any don't get bought, I'd just pay her for the rest. I wonder if you could do something similar with the breast pump.
#5 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM

Something that's been happening to me is people will see something on the registry that they have already, but don't need anymore. So because I had registered for a breast pump and a Boppy, I'm getting a friend's slightly-used and no one's really out any money. A lot of those sites, you can put notes on if used items are OK or not, too.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Target has a lot of things like slings, baby legs, soft-soled shoes from Jack & Lily. There is probably more selection online, though. I would register where you think people will shop and also on one of the other sites that let you register for goods at smaller, online boutiques so people have choices. Go ahead and register for the breast pump. If people want to go in together for something big, it will e a nice option. If not, they will pick something else. Registering also demonstrates your taste and can help people select something that you will like, even if it is something you didn't register for. There will still be people who will ignore it, but it is definitely worth registering.

Have fun!
#7 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't let cost be a factor in what you register for because a) it's something the baby will need and b)more than one person could chip in and buy a group gift. One way to start your registry is to use the feature on those sites that creates one for you, and then you can add or subtract from it.
#8 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas.... I don't know if there will be even a remote chance that I will get enough cloth to diaper this one, so I am holding off on that... until we have money. As far as everything... I have alot of stuff I have been collecting, and have my favorite slings too... I guess I will browse thru Target and see what they have, and just register for stuff

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#9 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 09:23 PM

I'm in a similar situation. I'm registered at Walmart and Target, but TBH, I'm only telling people about the Target one. They have more selection of naturally minded products so I'm going with them for the shower. Plus, it gives me a chance to show everyone my style (breastfeeding, cloth diapering, etc..).

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page