Reasons for not giving the Vitamin K shot - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
kdf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a new MW with this baby and she is young and does everything by the book so next week we are talking about the Vitamin K shot. We aren't doing it b/c our homeopathic dr said that it is like a vaccine and since we don't vaccinate we aren't doing it. My SIL who is my doula was against the shot but now that she is more into prenatal classes and done more research she thinks that it is necessary. So I have my reasons for not doing it but I am wondering why other moms aren't going to give it to their little ones.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#2 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 04:04 PM

I'm not because of everything I read when I thouroughly researched it awhile back. We weren't given a hard time at all for refusing. We refuse eveything anyway (except for PKU) so I don't think they were too surprised!

The only exception I would make is if something happened during birth and it ended up being traumatic for the baby, but that would be the only reason. We don't circumsize our boys so that's not a reason for us either.

I do try to increase my consumption of vit. k in the third trimester just to make sure the baby is getting it from me.
#3 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 06:06 PM

We don't do it because it is only given to everyone in the very rare chance that your baby is the one in ten thousand that would have clotting issues. The professionals say there is no harm done, but to be honest, they haven't done any studies to prove that and there have been some studies to associate it with childhood leukemia. 1/10,000 is not enough of a risk for me...and if my son DID turn up to have bleeding troubles, it is easily handled at that point with other medications.

We also prolong cord cutting, so again, there is no issue with low red blood levels due to trapped blood in the placenta.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#4 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 09:35 PM

Wow, thanks for this info and bringing this up. I had questioned it first time around but everyone I "talked" to said it was essentially harmless, but will definitly be doing more research this time around. Any specific good links because I would have to convince the hubby.

Also, what foods are good to eat to uptake Vitamin K?

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#5 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 PM

Here is the insert for the shot, read esp the contraindications.

I've never done anything in particular to increase my own vitamin K, but I've heard a month or two before birth, to take alfalfa (not sprouts or seeds) or stinging nettles to increase.

#6 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 PM

We do the oral Vit K here. The baby just gets a couple of drops at day 2 and week 2 and we are done. No intramuscular injections, just an addition to the gut flora.

Is the oral vit.K offered where you are? It may be an acceptable alternative.
#7 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 PM

I knew already that I didn't want to do it this time around (did it with hosp. birth for ds1 ). My sister didn't do it for her boy who was born 1 year after ds1 (and neither of our boys are circumcised), and her son turned out okay.

I asked mw about me taking alfalfa, and she said that while some mw's recommend it, she doesn't necessarily recommend it. She said that if the birth is 'rough' and baby looks a little 'beat up'/bruised, then she will give the Vit K shot. Otherwise, she thinks it's not necessary. ...I'm still on the fence whether I'll take the alfalfa...probably will...just need to get to the hfs to get it.

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#8 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Here is the insert for the shot, read esp the contraindications.

I've never done anything in particular to increase my own vitamin K, but I've heard a month or two before birth, to take alfalfa (not sprouts or seeds) or stinging nettles to increase.
I read the insert and the first thing on there is a warning that you shouldn't do an intramuscular shot because severe reactions, including fatalities, have occurred. Then it says later:

Quote:
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that
vitamin K1 be given to the newborn. A single intramuscular
dose of AquaMEPHYTON 0.5 to 1 mg within one hour of
birth is recommended.
Does anyone know what's up with that??

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#9 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
We don't do it because it is only given to everyone in the very rare chance that your baby is the one in ten thousand that would have clotting issues. The professionals say there is no harm done, but to be honest, they haven't done any studies to prove that and there have been some studies to associate it with childhood leukemia. 1/10,000 is not enough of a risk for me...and if my son DID turn up to have bleeding troubles, it is easily handled at that point with other medications.

We also prolong cord cutting, so again, there is no issue with low red blood levels due to trapped blood in the placenta.
I'm also interested in where the 1/10,000 stat comes from. I see that quoted a lot but I haven't found it in my research. Here's what the AAP says:

Quote:
Vitamin K deficiency may cause unexpected bleeding (0.25%–1.7% incidence) during the first week of life in previously healthy-appearing neonates (early vitamin K deficiency bleeding [VKDB] of the newborn [formerly known as classic hemorrhagic disease of the newborn]).
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;112/1/191

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#10 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
I'm also interested in where the 1/10,000 stat comes from. I see that quoted a lot but I haven't found it in my research.
http://www.vaccination.inoz.com/VitaminK.html is where I got it.

#11 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 AM

I haven't done it with either of my kids. In general, I believe nature knows more than we do & if babies are "deficient" it's because they're supposed to be for some reason. I was going to do alfalfa for the last month I was pregnant with ds2, but he came at 37 weeks. I never did anything with ds1. Can't decide what I'm doing this time around, although I was thinking of trying to get some nettle tea.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#12 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 AM

Im not in your DDC, but I had the SAME questions you have about vitamin K last year (March 2008 mama), and we werent going to get it. However, when he was born, he got STUCK trying to come out with his head to the side, and he had a bruise on his little head, so we did get the vitamin K. I would leave the option open, just in case something particularly traumatic does happen in labor. My very crunchy un-mainstream CNM (no CPM in IL) said if it was her child, in this situation, she would probably have gotten the vitamin K, even though she didnt usually do it.

Good luck with your decision! If you're not circ'ing, and nothing traumatic happens, theres really no need for it, from a nutritional/blood clotting standpoint.

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
#13 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 03:21 PM

It is very important to me that my baby is welcomed to as much comfort and love as I can provide. With our DS we didn't do any injections, blood draws (including the 1st PKU test), eye goop, or even a bath. As others have stated, for a healthy baby and uncomplicated birth, I don't see any benefit in doing any of those things- including the vitamin K.
#14 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM

Not in your DDC, but we don't plan to give the shot unless the baby has bruising at birth. We are not circing, so no need there if a boy.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#15 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebabies View Post

I do try to increase my consumption of vit. k in the third trimester just to make sure the baby is getting it from me.
I've heard this doesn't do anything...anyone else? I may be wrong.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#16 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
there have been some studies to associate it with childhood leukemia.
From what I have seen, the leukemia link has been debunked.

#17 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
I've heard this doesn't do anything...anyone else? I may be wrong.
Maybe. But I don't see the harm in it just incase. I mean, all the vitamins and minerals I eat benefit the baby so why wouldn't vit. k? Also, I'd like to think that my baby will receive it through my breastmilk as well.
#18 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Check out Anti-D in Midwifery by Sara Wickham. To my knowledge it is the only book out there about this. I found it helpful.

Also, parsley has ridiculous amounts oof Vit. K

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=100

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#19 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
Check out Anti-D in Midwifery by Sara Wickham. To my knowledge it is the only book out there about this. I found it helpful.

Also, parsley has ridiculous amounts oof Vit. K

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=100
Wow, thanks for this! Parsley... who knew? I'll definitely be adding more of that to my diet!
#20 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM

I did it with DD#1 at birth simply b/c she had a rough birth complete with a vacuum extraction and honestly they took her off and I am betting they did it first thing before even DH could get to the nursery. We transported from a HB so we were not planning on getting it but I know she got it. I am ok with it since she did have a rough start.

With DD#2 we did the oral simply b/c our ped was very pro Vit-K and I really didn't have any objections to it as long as it was done orally.

With DD#3 we didn't do it. We had a HB and our (different) ped is pretty laid back about stuff like that. We don't vaccinate anyways so he kind of knew we were declining it. Plus he doesn't want to see them until 2 weeks PP anyways and by then it would be too late.

We will not be doing it with DD#4.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#21 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 11:38 PM

we're doing it but I have a blood clotting disorder and I am on blood thinners so technically the baby is also on blood thinners.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#22 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 PM

we're doing the oral K. I'll be taking it my last few weeks orally also. (you can use the same bottle).

You can order it at www.birthwithlove.com it's $30 I think. My midwife will give it to him.
#23 of 28 Old 01-13-2009, 03:08 PM
JMJ

From what I understand, the high doses of vitamin k can be a shock to the newborn's system. Also, it only matters for a few days. Babies are born with a good deal of Vitamin K. It just takes a few days for the baby to start building up vitamin K from breastmilk. I would consider it if our baby had clotting risk factors or if we had a son who we were thinking of getting circumcised, but if we have a boy, we are not going to have him circumcised. Even if you are planning on circumcising your son, you may still avoid needing the vitamin K shot by postponing the circumcision at least a week.

I have heard that the oral vitamin K is less of a shock to a newborn's system, and I would consider it except that I would like to attempt to maintain pristine gut. Basically, the principle is that as long as breastmilk is all your child is eating, your child's digestive system is coated to help provide a barrier against germs and allergens. I'm just not sure I want to mess with that on day one unless there's a really good reason, and I don't see vitamin K as a good enough reason unless there are risk factors.

Basically, I understand that newborns may have more difficulty with blood clotting in the first week or so of life, and I think that warrants taking some extra precautions but not an invasive shot or oral supplementation for children with no other risk factors. Personally, I think the most important think I can do is try to protect my child from injury, especially head bonks within the first few days of life. The second thing I plan to do is increase my vitamin K intake just before and just after my baby is born in hopes that there may be a bit more vitamin K in my breastmilk at first. Here's the USDA's list of foods containing Vitamin K: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...k/sr16w430.pdf
#24 of 28 Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM

We will not be doing it. I can't imagine putting in 9,000-times (something like that) the amount of Vit K an adult would have into a newborn and that's what the shot does. Crazy.

Also, from what I've read and in speaking with midwives, we can't give our babies Vit K through our diet even if we take alfalfa or parsley supplements. But it will help fortify our breastmilk.

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#25 of 28 Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks everyone, this has been great reading through and learning more and the links!

I am gonna have my hubby take a look at this later if that's okay? Because we really want and need to both be on the same page with what we choose to do or not do!

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#26 of 28 Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 AM

bumping since decision time is near...

#27 of 28 Old 02-12-2009, 12:40 AM

We also ordered the oral vitamin k like PP above. Actually my mw normally gives that, but we got it for me to try and help w/ my platelets. Since they are low, we'll definitely want to protect baby w/ the oral drops.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#28 of 28 Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 AM

I've been taking my alfalfa vits. We have opted to not give the babies any Vit K unless there are some bruises or the birth is particularly rough.

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page