Essential Oils During Labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-14-2009, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone used them? I wanted to last time around, but I never did because I never learned enough. I wonder if they could have helped me more naturally relax or anything else?

I would love to know any tips - we use Young Living Pure, Organic, Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils and I know they'll be safe for the most part.

Like I know there are ones to use and wait til you are definitly in labor (like Peppermint) and ones that are fine to use in general, but I don't know much else.

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 AM

I'm so glad that you started this thread! I also use YL oils and have been using them throughout my pregnancy. I took a class a few months back learning everything I could about what was safe and what wasn't. I have tons of info for you! I got a book too (it's in storage right now, but I'll pull it out in a few weeks) that is great!

Morning Sickness- Ningxia Red, Orange Oil, Lemon Oil
Stretch Marks- I am using Gentle Baby and Tender Tush
Perineal Massage- Gentle Baby in Coconut Oil
Insomnia- Peace and Calming and Lavender
Stalled Labor- Clary Sage (but don't use this until Labor starts or you are ready to start labor)
Healing Birth Trauma for you and baby- Trauma Life
Pain During Labor- Pan-Away
Annointing Baby- Frankenscence and Myrhh
Healing the Perineum after Birth- ClaraDerm

Of the top of my head I remember reading to stay away from Cinnamon Bark, Clary Sage (until Labor), synthetic Lavender (lanolin), and clove. Although at the class I took they said that purity had a lot to do with reactions. I have used both Cinnamon Bark and Clove without any adverse effects.

Try this site for more...and when I get back from my trip I will be sure to post more from the book I got and other resources that are not with me at the moment. http://www.oil-testimonials.com You can search pregnancy or labor on this site and you will get what oils to use.

SO far I have been loving my oils and I look forward to having them during my birth.
#3 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 AM

My sense of smell is still so strong I don't think I could handle any smells at all in labor. I certainly couldn't during my DS's labor... like I like the idea of using them a lot, but I think in practice they'd really bother me.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#4 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 AM

I plan on using lavender....it's my favorite eo.
#5 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 AM

I'll use peppermint oil for nausea. I'll have a mixture of lavender, neroli, and sweet orange oil for general relaxation.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#6 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessJ View Post
I'm so glad that you started this thread! I also use YL oils and have been using them throughout my pregnancy. I took a class a few months back learning everything I could about what was safe and what wasn't. I have tons of info for you! I got a book too (it's in storage right now, but I'll pull it out in a few weeks) that is great!

Stalled Labor- Clary Sage (but don't use this until Labor starts or you are ready to start labor)

Of the top of my head I remember reading to stay away from Cinnamon Bark, Clary Sage (until Labor), synthetic Lavender (lanolin), and clove. Although at the class I took they said that purity had a lot to do with reactions. I have used both Cinnamon Bark and Clove without any adverse effects.

Try this site for more...and when I get back from my trip I will be sure to post more from the book I got and other resources that are not with me at the moment. http://www.oil-testimonials.com You can search pregnancy or labor on this site and you will get what oils to use.

SO far I have been loving my oils and I look forward to having them during my birth.

Awesome thank you for the info! The Essential Oils Desk Reference by Gary Young is what references the Peppermint for during labor where you list the Clary Sage (well it also lists the sage, but I don't have that one) and says not to use the Peppermint until labor has started and I was wondering if that would be one that would help labor when stalled and they try to give me pitocin again (I am glad i know my rights this time around and do NOT want that at all).

For Morning Sickness/ALL day sickness nothing had helped, just nothing, wasn't in the cards for me to feel good - and stretch marks, I'm just destined to have them, though it is nice putting the oil on my belly and helps the itchiness.

And yeah, I use Theives Blend often (which has cinammon and clove) and last time around I did too - no problems.

Where would you put the panaway during labor for the pain?

And I must say, it's so awesome to find someone else that uses Young Living Essential Oils - I really think they are the best and I've really learned I can trust their products because they do work!

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#7 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 AM

I have heard to use the Pan Away on the spine for pain during labor and the Clary Sage on the ankles to speed labor along.
#8 of 16 Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Well, I am finally pulling out my notes like I said I would and responding with more information.

Here are the oils that I read may have adverse affects if used during pregnancy :

Basil, Birch, Calamus, Cassia, Cinnamon Bark, Hyssop, Idaho Tansy, Lavandin (a form of Lavender often sold in stores), Rosemary, Sage and Tarragon.

With citrus oils, if you use them on the skin make sure that you won't be in direct sunlight for at least 12 hours.

Dilute all essential oils when using on babies.

There is a great book that I got at my class "Gently Babies: Essential Oils and Natural Remedies for Pregnancy, Childbirth and Infant Care" It is a great reference book which I have turned to quite often. To me these oils are miraculous medicines.

Here is a labor blend I plan to use:

Helichrysum 4 drops
Fennel 4 drops
Peppermint 2 drops
Ylang Ylang 6 drops
Clary Sage 3 drops
Mixed with 1/2 ounce of carrier oil

For use only after labor has already started. Massage mixture on lower abdomen, little fingers, little toes and back.

I will also be applying Myrrh to my perineum once labor is established. This is supposed to help support the tissues and prevent tearing.
#9 of 16 Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 PM

I'm bringing peppermint eo. I heard if you drop a little into the toilet before sitting down it can help you pee and last time I had trouble peeing (though managed to do it eventually anyway).
#10 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you! Great info! I will bring the Peppermint, Panaway, and Myrrh and Frankensence for sure! Our Helichrysum is out and well costs too much to get more right now.

Never heard of the Peppermint and peeing - but I don't really have a problem with that, well I didn't last time. But good to know in case I do end up having a problem.

#11 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessJ View Post
Helpful information on Essential Oils. Thanks for providing this

I would like to ask what is Trauma Life, Pan-Away and ClaraDerm? I have no idea :
#12 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM

:

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#13 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 PM

From the YL website...

Trauma Life™ is a calming, grounding blend of therapeutic-grade essential oils formulated to help release buried emotional trauma resulting from accidents, neglect, the death of a loved one, assault, or abuse. Left unchecked, emotionally draining episodes may be at the root of fatigue, anger, and restlessness.

Ingredients: Frankincense (Boswellia carteri), sandalwood (Santalum album), valerian (Valeriana officinalis), lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), davana (Artemisia pallens), spruce (Picea mariana), geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum), citrus hystrix, and rose (Rosa damascena)

PanAway® was created by Gary Young following a severe injury to the ligaments in his leg. Containing wintergreen essential oil, which is often used for massage, PanAway is soothing to the skin while providing comforting warmth to muscles after exercise.

Ingredients: Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens), helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum), clove (Syzygium aromaticum) and peppermint (Mentha piperita).

ClaraDerm™ Spray helps reinvigorate skin and relieve irritation. Its gentle spray is a blend of nature's most soothing and calming essential oils in a base of fractionated coconut oil. It is especially comforting for stressed skin before and after childbirth.

Ingredients: The essential oils of Myrrh (Commiphora Myrrha)†, Melaleuca Alternifolia†, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia)†, Frankincense (Boswellia Carteri)†, Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum Nobile)†, and Helichrysum (Helichrysum Italicum)† in a base of fractionated coconut oil

I am hoping to use all three of these during the birth.
#14 of 16 Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM

I was just sent this Essential Oil protocol which came from an MD. Thought that maybe us mammas still waiting might find it useful!...

"With my first pregnancy I was one day shy of 42 weeks along so I took
several capsules of Clary Sage and did acupressure. I went into labor
that night. With my son I went into labor naturally on the day he was
due. I took Clary Sage & used Jasmine Absolute to help speed things along.
(I love the smell of Jasmine.)"

This is what I used during birthing and after:

Mother:
When Labor starts
Ingest 3 capsules Clary Sage
Ingest Fennel if needed
Diffuse Thieves in whichever room we are in.
Apply Valor on spine & hips to align hips
Apply Jasmine to the belly to speed up labor
Apply Clary Sage to Acupressure points to speed up labor
During Labor
Diffuse Thieves in whichever room we are in.
Diffuse Peace & Calming if needed.
Apply White Angelica to chest to feel protected
Apply/Inhale Peace & Calming to neck to relax
Apply/Inhale Joy to neck or chest to be happy
Apply Idaho Balsam Fir to back, waist, belly, and legs for discomfort
Apply Lavender to wrists for comfort
Apply Surrender anywhere
Apply Jasmine to the belly to speed up labor
Apply Clary Sage to Acupressure points to speed up labor
Apply PanAway to back, shoulders, legs for pain
Use 20 drops Vetiver, 20 drops Valerian, and 3 drops
Peppermint on lower back for pain
If needed: Trauma Life, Release, Australian Blue
Prior to Crowning
Apply En-R-Gee to the spine to be energized
Apply White Angelica to chest to feel protected
Apply Peace & Calming to neck to relax
Apply Surrender anywhere
Apply ClaraDerm liberally to perineum (perineum massage
& hot compresses)
During Crowning & Birth
Apply more ClaraDerm if needed (perineum pressure & hot
compresses)
Apply oils to baby
Immediately After Birth - before placenta
Apply Myrrh to umbilical cord while still pulsing
Apply Geranium to the belly to help expel placenta
Apply Jasmine to the belly to help expel placenta
Afterwards
Apply Geranium to the belly to help tone uterus
Apply Jasmine to the belly to help tone uterus
Apply Frankincense to the belly to help tone uterus
Apply Roman Chamomile to the belly for pain
Apply Lavender to the belly for pain
If needed, apply Cistus and Helichrysum for hemorrhaging

Baby:
When crowning
Put diluted Frankincense on baby's head
Put diluted diluted Myrrh on baby's head
After birth, apply diluted:
Valor on baby's spine
Trauma Life on baby's spine
Frankincense on baby's spine
Gentle Baby on baby's back
Idaho Balsam Fir on baby's back
Lavender on baby's tummy
Thieves on baby's feet
Dilution ratio:
Use 1/2 tsp V-6 to 4 drops oil.
#15 of 16 Old 03-05-2009, 03:05 AM

We had a crockpot with water and some Lavender EO - my doula filled it with cloths and would put the cloths on my face during labour. It was so relaxing. DH tried too, but he kept getting it all wrong LOL
#16 of 16 Old 03-07-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

So anyone use these yet? I'm going to start getting my stuff ready hopefully later today if not tomorrow to have everything I need!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page