Kinda random, but whatever... 3 car seats in the back. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in family safety as well but wonder how many of you mommas are trying to fit three carseats in the back of a small car? I'm totally stressing over this even though we have a van, our other car is a honda civic and if the van ever needs work done, then we will all have to fit into the honda.

I'm totally obsessing over this and want a solution yesterday. I do have some options but I'm waiting for new car seats to come and test how they fit.

Other things seem undone around the house as well. I just want to declutter and have minimal stuff...I think I'm just feeling out of control of a lot of stuff. My body, my car situation, all our junk...blah, blah, blah. Thanks for reading.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 04:37 PM

We will have 3 kids in seats in the back of my 4 door wrangler. Not really tight, but not huge like my DH's Sierra, either.

My DD (5.5) is in a Radian because it's hard to buckle a booster. DS is still RFing in a Roundabout, but I'll eventually have him in a Radian too since he's close to outgrowing it. Baby will be in a Combi infant seat until he/she fits in the Roundabout.

I've gotten 3 across the back seat for a friend's Kia Specrta 4 dr, which is really small, so you should be okay with the right seats. She has a 4 yr old, 2.5 yr old, and newborn!

Since I'm a technician I always look at it as a challenge, and I've had several combinations of three in my Jeep since I've had extra kids along lots of times. We want to get a van when out lease is up, but that's because it's really a pain to not even have one empty seat, especially since we live 30+ minutes from most of our friends and church. If DD wants a friend over once baby comes we won't be able to just "bring them with us."

What seats do you have?

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#3 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 04:51 PM

Not in your ddc, but I can get 3 seats in the back of our Kia Spectra.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 PM

We could not even get two seats into our old Corolla because DH is so tall/long legged. The kids did not have any leg room and we could only put a rear facing seat behind the passenger. We *upgraded* to a mini van. That does make all 3 seats fit easily though.
#5 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 PM

We are doing three carseats- an infant "baby bucket" and two boosters for the bigger kids (one without a back and one with a back). We drive a VW jetta. It is a tight squeeze, but do-able.

DD is old enough to ride without a booster by law, but is about 1/2 too short in my opinion to ride with the proper fit of the seatbelt if she goes without the booster.

The biggest obstacle for us is that the bigger kids need to be able to buckle and unbuckle the seatbelts because they are boosters. We wouldn't have any problem if they were all carseats that were permanently installed, but with the bases of the seats taking up all the space its hard to get to the buckle part. We went to the car dealership and purchased seat belt extenders. This brings the buckle socket up about 8" or so- so it isn't under the seat but in a place where the bigger kids can reach it an manuever it.
#6 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM

We're not going to have to have 3 carseats in our backseat. But we also have a 12 yr old in the back, and she's basically adult sized already. In the car we currently have I tested it and there was NO way we could have DD2's carseat, a rf facing for DD3, and still room for DD1 to sit without getting smooshed hard against the door and not being able to reach the buckle. So we're going to have to get a different car when our taxes come back. Our car is completely dead now anyway, so whether we liked it or not we were going to have to buy a car.
#7 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 07:46 PM

my 4 1/2 year olds are in radian 80's. i'm hoping to put the baby in a graco infant carrier car seat (because we have one) but it won't fit between them, it'll have to go behind the passengers seat. i'm taking it to the fire station to be properly installed because i don't trust myself to do it correctly with 3 seats. if the infant carrier doesn't fit i'll have to buy another radian (but probably will get a 65 instead of an 80) but i'd rather not. i'm hoping that by the time i'm ready for the baby to be in a convertible seat rather than an infant carrier i'll feel comfortable putting my older kids in booster seats and i'll put the baby in one of the radian's i already have.
#8 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Yeah, my kids are in basic graco boosters, and the infant seat will not fit in between the boosters at all in our liitle chevy prism. Thankfully we have a dodge durango that they will all fit in.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#9 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I nannied for two other children up until ds was 18 mos, so we had an infant carseat (with base), a britax marathon, and a booster without a back. That child could buckle fine and they all fit snugly in my buick century - which I'd say is not a super small car, but average.
I wouldn't worry too much...you will have your van most of the time anyway and if not, you will make adjusted plans or just have dd go without a booster if it truly doesn't fit...what can you do? but, I bet it will fit anyhow.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#10 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have 2 Britax Marathons for ds and dd but they are WAY too big to fit anything in between in the Honda. They will stay in the van.

I just ordered a couple Sceneras but if they do not work, then I'll have to get 3 Radians. Man that is going to break the bank but from all my reading, they have the smallest frame and I will have the two outside seats FF and the middle rearfacing. Ahhhhh....

We've tried many different combos and nothing has worked as of yet...many returns, many frusterations...we only have 48" to work with the honda's doors have huge handles that stick out when you shut the door and it minimizes the room.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#11 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 PM

I guess our long term problem here is that the children have to be on boosters until they are 9 years old or 4'9". That is a long time to fiddle with carseats, legroom and boosters. Just 4 and a half more years until DS1 is accessory free.
#12 of 16 Old 01-27-2009, 02:18 AM

I don't even own a car & I'm going to have to deal with this! We sometimes have to go places with my mom in her car. She's got a little Matrix. We have an Alpha Omega & a backless booster atm. Pretty sure we're going to have to get a Radian hope we don't have to go anywhere with her until the baby is big enough to fit the Alpha. The length of the Radian rear facing seems way too big for the car.

I want a car! If I have to buy car seats, I'd like the benefit of a car to go with them.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#13 of 16 Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 PM

I hadn't even thought that I would ever be able to get all three into my dh's VW Passat. My oldest is in a booster with a back, my 3 1/2 year old is still in his Triumph car seat and I'll have an infant one for the baby. We do have a minivan and that's what I'll use with all three, but we have an extra Triumph and can easily move the booster or the infant seat if either of us is going to take one or two kids somewhere.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#14 of 16 Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieangela View Post
I hadn't even thought that I would ever be able to get all three into my dh's VW Passat. My oldest is in a booster with a back, my 3 1/2 year old is still in his Triumph car seat and I'll have an infant one for the baby. We do have a minivan and that's what I'll use with all three, but we have an extra Triumph and can easily move the booster or the infant seat if either of us is going to take one or two kids somewhere.
We can do it in a Jetta (our only household car)- I'm sure a Passat would be no problem!
#15 of 16 Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM

Thanks, G&B'sMama! I'll have to give it a try.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#16 of 16 Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, all my kids are under 40 lbs, so no backless boosters here or even boosters. Hence the problem. We need five point harnesses still. We'll make it work with the Radians, I'm pretty confident of that much, I just didn't want to drop that much money all at once. I'm sooooo hoping the Sceneras work out. Or maybe two Sceneras and one radian....mmmm.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page