I still have it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
kdf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So after 6 weeks of probiotic treatment, garlic and magnosteen treatment, I still have GBS in my urine. Which means my body is full of it. My MW wants me to have antibiotics but I refused b/c what I have read said it doesn't make a difference. So I found a number of articles about insert garlic "up there" and I called my homeopathic dr and he has given me an aggressive treatment to get rid of it. I really don't want it and I thought what I was doing would work so I am really disappointed. I have 4 more weeks to get this out of my system. I hope it works. Does anyone else have this problem and what are you doing?

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 PM

I just had the test done, so I will find out next week. No advice for you, but I hope it goes away soon.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#3 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM

My midwife had me take Bee Propolis capsuls (3 capsules 2x/day) before I tested. I also washed w/ hibiclens, but if it's in your urine, I don't see how garlic/hibiclens would help?

The Bee Propolis might be worth a shot for you...

Homebirthing mama of 2
#4 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Some things I tried when I tested GBS for my previous pregnancy:

--Grapefruit seed extract--in water or juice 3x a day
--Hibiclens Wash (which I saw was already recommended) every couple of hours as soon as I went into labor. Put it in peri bottle and rinse the vaginal area hourly after you go into labor.
--Inserted garlic overnight 3 nights in a row

You've probably heard of these, but I thought I would let you know what worked for me. I hope you can get rid of it. Does your midwife say you will have to go on antibiotics when you go into labor if you are still testing positive?
#5 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was GBS+ with baby #2...did the abx in labor and then dealt with thrush.

Needless to say, I was ready to try anything to test negative with baby #3. I think what I did to treat an ongoing yeast infection/bacterial vaginosis problem during that pregnancy is what also knocked out the GBS (I tested negative then and tested negative this time, too). I took grapefruit seed extract orally in water until it started hurting my stomach, then I stopped. I also wiped with homemade wipes every time I used the bathroom - paper towels soaked in water with GSE and tea tree oil. And I put GSE and TTO in with every load of laundry. I also took caprylic acid to treat the yeast - I don't know if that has any effect on GBS, though.

Good luck!
#6 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 03:36 PM

I am from July DDC but interested in this topic.
How many drops of GSE in water, for how long, how many times a day?
How much in laundry?
#7 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
I was GBS+ with baby #2...did the abx in labor and then dealt with thrush.
I'd much rather deal with thrush than a baby that becomes septic. I'm an ER nurse and floppy, sick newborns are no fun.

I just don't understand why so many people who are GBS+ are willing to take the risk of their baby getting sick.
#8 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 PM

Just got a phone call this morning and I tested positive for GBS.
I've never tested positive before. I'll suck it up though and take the antibiotics during labor. I'm not willing to take any chances like that. But man... am I bummed!!!!!
#9 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I am from July DDC but interested in this topic.
How many drops of GSE in water, for how long, how many times a day?
How much in laundry?
I was taking 10-20 drops 1-3 times a day - started with the lower dose and worked my way up.

For laundry, I didn't really count the drops but it was probably around 50 per load (front loading washer). I have no idea if that did anything, though.
#10 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&JsMaMa View Post
I'd much rather deal with thrush than a baby that becomes septic. I'm an ER nurse and floppy, sick newborns are no fun.

I just don't understand why so many people who are GBS+ are willing to take the risk of their baby getting sick.
Well, obviously I didn't want the baby to get sick or else I could have declined the abx. I think taking measures to eliminate the GBS from my body isn't taking risks (I'm not sure if that's what you were saying or not )...it's being more proactive than just taking the abx in labor. And considering that many people don't make it to the hospital in time to get the full course of abx due to having short labors (I wouldn't have had time during my last labor, and we went to the hospital as soon as my water broke which is how my labor started), so why not try to prevent being GBS+ to start with?
#11 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Last time I was already allergic to penicilin and I had a bad reaction to IV clindamycin. I am scared of any IV antibiotics at this point. Also they put a havoc on my system (my gut) and my hands have been weeping from eczema since then, it made me allergic to most foods. I want to take care of GBS w/o antibiotics.
#12 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
kdf

Quote:
Well, obviously I didn't want the baby to get sick or else I could have declined the abx. I think taking measures to eliminate the GBS from my body isn't taking risks (I'm not sure if that's what you were saying or not )...it's being more proactive than just taking the abx in labor. And considering that many people don't make it to the hospital in time to get the full course of abx due to having short labors (I wouldn't have had time during my last labor, and we went to the hospital as soon as my water broke which is how my labor started), so why not try to prevent being GBS+ to start with?
That is what I am doing, trying to prevent GBS+ from the start before labour. Also my doula says this is such a funny test b/c you could test neg at 36 weeks and then have it at labour and not know so you don't get abx. I never tested for GBS with either of my other two dc so I could of had it and just not known. Which is why I am doing every in my power to get rid of it before I give birth. Also if my MW don't test me again for it and I have gotten rid of it and I take the abx then I am putting that crap in my body and my baby for no reason.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#13 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Oh, not you personally, *you* globally. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
#14 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&JsMaMa View Post
Oh, not you personally, *you* globally. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. It's cool.
#15 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 AM

I got my results back today and have it too. When I asked about doing oral abx the OB said no way you get an IV during labor. Does any one know of any reason why I wouldn't be able to do an oral?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page