belly binding anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i responded to a post about this in the main "birth and beyond" folder but got no replies.

i'm very interested in this - i've seen tons of postpartum support garments out there, and am wondering if anyone has plans to bind or has in the past, and what the results were?

as it stands right now, i own a corset that i don't think will be functional in this capacity - i doubt i'd be able to lace it at all to be honest
i also have a few bella bands that i wear regularly, but i wonder if they would provide too little support, and i hate the idea of dropping $30 for a manufactured garment. i read that something like an old sheet would work, but how would you wear that beneath your clothes? Seems like it would be bulky. Perhaps a sari or something would be better?

any info is appreciated! i already had a lot of looseness in my belly before getting pregnant due to significant weight loss, and would like to do whatever i can to encourage all of my pieces to go back into their proper places!!

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
#2 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 AM

I plan to belly bind this time. I did buy one of the pre-made binders because it could also be used during pregnancy (just not so tight) for lifting the belly and supporting the back. Can't remember the brand name, but I bought it at BRU for a little under $30.

I have read that you can use regular material wrapped tightly around, covering the entire abdomen, for binding. Maybe just pin it or, if you're handy, you could attach velcro to it yourself. I'd think the material would have to have a tiny bit of stretch to it to get a good fit. But I'm not sure exactly what material would be best.

Have you tried googling belly binding? If I recall correctly, that's how I found a lot of good information about it. I just can't think straight right now because it's so early in the morning!

Hope someone else can be more helpful!
#3 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input...i have googled it in the past, but i like getting info from the ladies here because many of them are crunchy thrifty geniuses - something i aspire to be someday.

i saw some that were really cool, maybe on etsy or something, but waaaay too expensive. they were made of beautiful fabrics and tied on the sides with a d-ring type loop.

i like your velcro idea...i feel like it wouldn't be hard at all, just a few yards of something like a stretchy twill with a big old piece of velcro sewn on, and i could make that for less than $10, even cheaper if i found jersey knit sheets at the thrift store.

or what about somehting like spanx? my mom works in a store where i can get them at 50% off.

#4 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 10:05 AM

I was thinking about just an extra wide ace bandage...

Homebirthing mama of 2
#5 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

i read a piece written by a woman who bound her belly with ace bandages and said it worked great, and you get a lot more flexibility with the sizing, tautness, etc. oh, and it's cheap!

#6 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Is this the one you saw?

http://downtothelastcigarette.blogsp...y-binding.html

I just bought a lot of 10 ace bandages on ebay for $15. I figure that'll give me enough to wash and such.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#7 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM

I've been reading about this a lot in the past few days as well.

I think I've decided to get Ace bandages. I have heard mostly good things about the Ace bandages, but a few people really dislike them. I think it's just the extra hassle. DH promised he would help me and told me that he tends to wrap them too tightly, which I think is good.

I might switch over to some spanx or something after the lochia stops. I was looking at all the fancy manufactured binders, but it seems like you would need 2 of them since your size can change so much.
#8 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM

what are the benefits of belly binding? This is my third and I've never heard of this before.

Off to google...
#9 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriemom View Post
Maybe just pin it or, if you're handy, you could attach velcro to it yourself.
A Snappy would probably work to close it as well.
#10 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
Is this the one you saw?

http://downtothelastcigarette.blogsp...y-binding.html

I just bought a lot of 10 ace bandages on ebay for $15. I figure that'll give me enough to wash and such.
why it certainly is!

#11 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&JsMaMa View Post
what are the benefits of belly binding? This is my third and I've never heard of this before.

Off to google...
belly binding is believed to help support the internal organs as they find their way back into place. also helps aid the uterus in shrinking back down to size.
don't know if it does anything to help with "jelly belly" but it definitely wouldn't hurt to try!

#12 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbelewe View Post
belly binding is believed to help support the internal organs as they find their way back into place. also helps aid the uterus in shrinking back down to size.
don't know if it does anything to help with "jelly belly" but it definitely wouldn't hurt to try!
Definately sounds beneficial. I'm planning on doing more research after I get my boys off to school.
#13 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 12:24 PM

I had never heard of this, but after reading about it fully intend to belly bind! The benefits sound awesome, and using a few ace bandages is cheap and not too much of a hassle I would think. Plus I know I'll be self conscious after the birth, so a little binding might help me feel better about going to class, seeing all my classmates, when I still have a tummy. What a great idea. Thanks for posting!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#14 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 12:31 PM

I have Spanx already. Do you think that would work? I a pretty sure it still fits me as I am still wearing my normal jeans just low on my belly. I have one of those bella bands too which I usually wear but I don't' think it would give enough support.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#15 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanielayne View Post
I have Spanx already. Do you think that would work? I a pretty sure it still fits me as I am still wearing my normal jeans just low on my belly. I have one of those bella bands too which I usually wear but I don't' think it would give enough support.
i don't see why spanx wouldn't work...i'd want to try the high-waisted variety tho. i have a pair from pre-preg but the cut so badly at the waist, which i think would be awful immediately after giving birth.

i don't think a bella band is the answer after all...but, i bet it would keep things nice and smooth if you put one on over top of ace bandages or something like that.

#16 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 PM

There are a couple of threads on this in the Birth and Beyond forum, you could find them if you searched for belly binding, I'm sure. I read about it a few months ago and am planning on doing it - after DD's birth, it felt SO WEIRD to have my innards squooshing around in a big empty space, I would rather not feel that again, hehe. If it helps me regain my girlish figure sooner too, then that's nice as well

I've been eyeing some for a while - the two I've been looking at are the Sugarbelly and the Sweetness Sash... they're $60 and $70 bucks though. I can easily justify it by saying this is my last pregnancy & birth and I should make the most of it and pamper myself but the ace bandages are so much cheaper that my thrifty self is now undecided.... hmmm....

I *know* a bella band or similar will not offer the necessary support; they have way too much give.
#17 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM

They gave me a binder in the hospital after my first birth ( a cesarean). I wore it constantly for a week or two, but wish I would have worn it longer. I am going to wear one this time again as well.

I think to get the full benefit, you need something stronger than a Belly Band or Spanx.

I think a corset would would later on, but it is probably worth it to get something specifically designed for it because it will be more comfortable in the early days and if you have a c-section, you will not want to wear your corset right away because it will get dirty.
#18 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM

My DP got me one a few weeks ago. It is the Yogi style from a website I found and now can't remember. I have worn it a few days here and there and it definitly helps with my posture and keeping my pants up. So far I also haven't gotten any stretch marks on my belly, which I have read that binding during pregnancy also helps with.

I plan on wearing it post partum for sure. It doesn't give me as much tightness as I would like, so I have also thought of having some ace bandages as well.
#19 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 PM

I have a belly binder that they gave me after my c-section. I kept it and will probably use it again after my VBAC.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#20 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 03:47 PM

I tried using a wrap my friend made for support a couple days ago. First time I tied it on, it was sooo comfortable. Second time, it made my pelvic pain worse. Not sure what I did differently. I think it would work great for postpartum, but it's kind of bulky with the knot at the back. I might have to see if the dollar store has any cheap elastic bandages. I have a couple, but nothing to hold them closed & one of them is very stretched out from years of being used.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#21 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 03:56 PM

I made a few of my own 'belly-band-things' with stretchy swimsuit-like material and I intend to make a few that will fit post partum too. I just hope I get the sizing right~I'm not sure how tight to make it. I guess I could make it adjustable too...
#22 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Not in your ddc, but I just ordered this one http://www.fstubbs.com/tempplastic/2003_2005.htm
It is fairly cheap, and I saw raves about it on a blog or somewhere. It isn't supposed to roll down and is comfy (according to the lady who was raving on it) I ordered the 10in one according to her recommendations and I'm 5'6". They also have a postpartum binder, but I can't see a difference in it and the one I got, except for a big price difference! I went with this instead of using ace bandages because this looks like less of a hassle to put on, I figured I better go with an easy route or I may not do it consistantly. Otherwise I think anything would do.

This will be my first time belly binding

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#23 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Does anyone know if you can do normal crunches sooner if you bind your belly, since it'd be holding your ab muscles closer together? Boy, do I miss crunches.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#24 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

it really depends on how severe your diastasis is. binding is *supposed* to help your abs knit back together, makes perfect sense. i would definitely talk to your mw/ob about resuming exercises like that, because if your body isn't ready you can definitely do more harm than good!

#25 of 37 Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 PM

GoddessJ - did your dp get you this one? http://belliesinbloom.shoprw.com/pro...&cat=12&page=1 That's one of the ones I've been eyeing and I was wondering if getting it on & tied was a pain, and if one of the ones w/D rings wouldn't be easier, and able to get a tighter fit for postpartum too, perhaps... so, is tying it on a pain? Very sweet of your dp to get you one.
#26 of 37 Old 02-05-2009, 01:26 AM

I hadn't heard of this before but it definitely seems like something that would help. Looks like I need to do some research. Thanks!
#27 of 37 Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM

This topic really makes me cringe... ahhh! Not to discourage anyone from it since obviously some women are benefiting... so far my only experience was a c-section with twins... and wow, I could NOT have had anything even remotely 'binding' touching my abs. In fact, I had to wear scrub pants for months afterwards, just could not handle any pressure, not even from jeans or form fitting pants.

Is no one else still able to do crunches? I had been so worried about preterm labor that I have been on bedrest for a couple of months now and trying not to do much of anything... but now that I am over 34 weeks and feeling pretty good considering.. I am starting to incorporate a lot more stretching and light exercise. Anyway, I can do crunches though they seem to be working my upper abs the most -- feels really good too.

Although it took me two years before I lost all the weight I gained with my first pregnancy(I had preemie twins, wasn't really trying much before then!)... my abs didn't seem to suffer in the long run at all, not even with having been cut through completely with the section. Maybe I am the exception here, or maybe my experience will be completely different with my VBAC... so I will keep an open mind about binding if I feel like I need some support, it is just hard for me to even imagine trying to put any pressure on my swollen guts right after a baby.
#28 of 37 Old 02-05-2009, 01:42 PM

I used these after my c-section and I loved it ... I wore it for weeks after (I strtaed with a small and then as I shrunk I moved to an xs). Expensive but I really thought it helped with my recovery and my body looked fab after (prayin' I have the same results this time around!)

http://designveronique.com/cgi-bin/ic/dv2/850.html
#29 of 37 Old 02-05-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

that looks like the garment to get the job done! waaaay out of my price range though..

#30 of 37 Old 03-01-2009, 04:31 AM

I have been looking into belly binding as well. I am 26 wks and I'm trying to prepare by doing as much research as possible. I found a youtube video of the how to put on a Sarashi wich is the japanese belly binding material. I'm thinking that I will use this technique but with ace bandages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU2thhFGnw4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page