Baby now breech! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all..
any advice would be appreciated. Baby has been head down for quite a while and I went in this morning for an ultrasound to make sure my low-lying placenta was not longer an issue. Placenta has moved far out of the way but baby is now breech. I'm a little over 33 weeks. Help me get this little one to flip!
Thanks for any advice.

treehugger.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsurf.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalusj View Post
Hi all..
any advice would be appreciated. Baby has been head down for quite a while and I went in this morning for an ultrasound to make sure my low-lying placenta was not longer an issue. Placenta has moved far out of the way but baby is now breech. I'm a little over 33 weeks. Help me get this little one to flip!
Thanks for any advice.
you have still got plenty of time for this baby to move into the right position, dont' worry! In the meantime, walking, squats and butterfly like stretches may help.
#3 of 25 Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Good to hear. Annoying ultrasound lady made it sound like they rarely flip after 32 weeks or so. I'll wait a few weeks to stress.

treehugger.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsurf.gif

#4 of 25 Old 02-05-2009, 09:53 PM

I'm 37 weeks tomorrow & baby is flipping back & forth between breech & vertex. You have lots of time.

Some ideas, though. Inversion (lying upside down on an ironing board propped against a couch works well). Light low down. Ice pack high up. Handstands in a pool.....I know there's more I'm forgetting.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 25 Old 02-05-2009, 10:00 PM

Here are some things I have read about...

Peppermint Oil- Apply to the top of your abdomen, baby turns away from it.

Water- Do a handstand in water...I have heard that this is one of the most effective techniques

Music- Play music that your baby likes (classical/new age) between your legs. I have even heard of women putting radios in their pants.

Talking- Have your partner talk to your pelvis...baby turns toward the voice.

Hot/Cold- Put a cold pack at the top of your abdomen and a warm compress at the bottom. Baby moves towards the warmth.

Spiraling- Spiral you hips like a belly dancing or move like a piece of seaweed in the ocean.

Moxibustion- I used this for morning sickness, but I also read that it is used with great results for turning babies.

Structural Integration/Pelvic Floor Work- I just worked with a bodyworker who helped me with an anterior tilt to my pelvis ( antieror tilts can cause back labor) and sometimes babies don't move into the proper position because the pelvis moves out of alignment.

Checking IN- Check in with the baby...maybe there is a reason it has moved into a breech position, maybe you will get an intuitive hit on why.

Hope some of this helps!
#6 of 25 Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Chiropractor. It will help! They have a technic they can use to turn the baby.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#7 of 25 Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 PM

my babe was transverse at 32 weeks and at 34 weeks was vertex so don't worry too much!

i was worried enough about it myself though, i started going to a chiropractor look into it, most of the time insurance covers it and it's helpful whether baby is breech or not to see one anyway!
#8 of 25 Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 PM

handstands! I've never heard of that- what a good idea!
#9 of 25 Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 PM

My SIL had a baby flip during labor! Please don't worry about it so early! Even so, breech really isn't such a bad thing, just most drs don't have experience with it because it is so rare. If you get to 38 weeks and he's still head-up, then I'd looking to chiropractic care.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#10 of 25 Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 AM

The chiropractic thing is called the Webster technique. Mine is breech at 35.5 weeks, I have my first appt next week. They told me the sooner they can begin working on it the better the results.
#11 of 25 Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 AM

At my 33 week appointment last week, my midwife told me that my baby is breech, too.

So I started seeing a chiropractor this week for the Webster technique. You can find a chiro that does Webster in your area here.

I've seen the chiro twice so far, and both times he said that the baby feels vertex to him (yay)! But hell, even if she really is vertex, it's relaxing and feels great, so I'm going to keep going.

Actually, I wondered if it was too early to start with Webster to try to turn the baby. (Like, what if she turned vertex, but then turned back to breech? I thought maybe she'd "stick" vertex better if I got Webster later). The chiropractor said that it's easier to try to turn them sooner, when they're smaller and there's more room to move. (Of course, babies can and do turn vertex at the last minute, so try not to freak out!) So he told me that we'd try to turn the baby now, at 34 weeks, and then I'd keep going once a week or so to help her maintain her vertex position.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#12 of 25 Old 02-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherto4 View Post
Chiropractor. It will help! They have a technic they can use to turn the baby.
:

That is how my dd turned, she was breech. I give all the credit to my chiropractor.

Full time mom to 10/04 2/06 and my sweet surpise 3/09
#13 of 25 Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Head to the chiropractor and read up on www.spinningbabies.com.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#14 of 25 Old 02-06-2009, 08:41 PM

I wouldn't worry about it at all yet. Most of my babies have been all over the place until 36 weeks or even later and I have had all vertex births.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#15 of 25 Old 02-06-2009, 09:37 PM

I'm 35 weeks 4 days and my baby is still breech (has been since at least the 20 week ultrasound). I just had one today to check on the marginally low lying placenta that was there at 20 weeks and thank goodness that has moved, but baby is still breech. I can feel her head from the outside. I knew that already.

I have been listening to the Turn Your Breech Baby Hypnobabies script. Seeing a chiropractor since shortly after that 20 week ultrasound, done inversions, tried moxibustion a few times (but it is difficult to do in winter because it has a very smokey lingering smell), tried a flashlight a few times and hot and cold a few times.

My first baby was breech and never moved (but I didn't go into labor I had a scheduled cesarean) so with this baby I am going to be more aggressive and will schedule an external version for next week.

It is awesome and inspiring to hear that babies turn in labor, but as a VBAC, I don't know if I will be given that chance to find out.

If my first was vertex I wouldn't be as worried. The good news is that they didn't see any obvious reason for the breech so I am hoping the version will work. In the meantime, between now and the version, I am going to do everything I can think of everyday!

Good luck! Start seeing a chiropractor and try to relax.
#16 of 25 Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 PM

With my first he was breech and stayed breech until about 37 weeks and by then they will flip the baby for you. You've got plenty of time before you have to worry about it. At my 32 week appointment this baby was diagonal and up out of my pelvis completely...but at my last 2 appointments it's been head down in my pelvis. You'll be fine...don't worry and don't listen to the ultrasound tech...she doesn't know what she's talking about.
#17 of 25 Old 02-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Go to the chiropractor - one who is familiar with the webster technique. My big baby was breech for 7-8 weeks. Went to the chiro, he did the Webster, showed me exercises to do at home and my baby flipped that night and has stayed head down since. By the way, that baby flipped 5 days after an OB told me he would probably stay that way.

Also, I have done a lot of sitting up straight, no slouching or creating a nice comfy pouch for babies to fall back into. Sure my ankles are swollen, but I rather have vertex babies than thin ankles!

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#18 of 25 Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 AM

At least you know your baby *can* go into position. I think that's a great sign.

I'm excited about all these techniques!

My baby has been in the same transverse positition this entire pg. The MW is coming back to check again this week and we'll start looking a little further into some things to do before attempting to move him ( by a doctor and in a monitored situation).

I'm doing some gentle clockwise massage and trying to lie with my head down and my hips up as much as possible - so maybe hell get his hiney out of my pelvis and move around.

Katie : Mom to three under four. Yes, i don't sleep often.
#19 of 25 Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 AM

That is so cool to hear about how much the chiropracter can help with that! My baby has been head down, but glad to hear the chiropracter can help keep it down since I recently started going again cuz of all the other issues!

Hope baby turns for you soon to ease your mind even more

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#20 of 25 Old 02-09-2009, 04:45 PM

My fist was born at 43 weeks. He was not a small baby almost 9lbs and 21 1/2 inches long. He was flipping all around right up until labor. He wanted nothing to do with being head down until he was ready to come out. Don't let anyone tell you they can't move. They will move anytime they want.
#21 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, baby is still breech. I've tried acupuncture, music, lying with hips above head.... no luck...
But, baby is super active and I feel like baby might be listening to the little "conversations" we've been having lately.
Anyway, I am tryiny the chiropractor tomorrow. Wish us luck! Anyone else still breech?

#22 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM

Yep, mine is still breech at 37 weeks.

I've been doing Webster for 3 weeks now, and trying stuff like inversions and just telling the baby to turn the heck around! I'm going for moxabustion tomorrow. My midwife seems to think it's a magic potion that always cures breeches (so much so that at this point, she won't even talk to me about making back up plans for if ladybaby stays breech). I'm less confident, but of course hoping it works.

We got an ultrasound last week to see if the baby's in a good position to try external version, but we're still waiting to hear the answer.

The last few nights, the baby's turned around to transverse (but then she goes back to breech). It's really funny to watch. She definitely doesn't just float from breech to transverse, she's WORKING to get there. Like, she kicks and punches and my stomach lumps and bumps around. While she's doing it, I massage my stomach in circles (hopefully it will help her know which way to turn) and encourage her to keep going. Man, I'm hoping she'll be able to turn herself all the way around!

Nalusj (and everyone else with a breech baby), how are you feeling about your baby being breech? Are you worried? Are you making back up plans, for if the baby still breech when you go into labor?

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#23 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 PM

I still could have a breech baby. I'll be 37 wks Friday.
My MW had me get a quick us last week to confirm that baby is breech, and yep, frank breech. I went to the chiro on Saturday, which I don't know why I haven't done sooner. I SO recommend it. My hip pain is all but gone, and to think I've suffered through it for two pregnancies. Anyway, I am 90% sure that baby went vertex Sunday. I had kicks up high and pressure, and I *think* I felt baby's head at least somewhat engaged. As of today I'm not really sure, but I'm going back to the chiro Wednesday, then have another mw appt on Thrs.

I wouldn't worry about having a breech baby, although I'd probably still try non-invasive stuff to get baby to turn, except that a breech at 37 weeks legally would risk me out of the freestanding birth center here. Thankfully my US date gave me 6 extra days, so we're going with that date, so I have till I'm really almost 38 weeks. I'm 100% okay with a vaginal frank breech as long as the m/w is okay handling it. Dumb laws.

If baby is breech on Thrs I'll talk to my m/w and see if she has any other suggestions for other options. There is no way I'm walking into a hospital for a c/s and it's just as unlikely that I'd even consider a vaginal breech in a hospital unless it's the ONLY option. I'm not really likeing the idea of an external version either. Especially since I'd be paying for it out of pocket. That can't be cheap!

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#24 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post
Nalusj (and everyone else with a breech baby), how are you feeling about your baby being breech? Are you worried? Are you making back up plans, for if the baby still breech when you go into labor?
Well, I am trying to stay positive and keep an ongoing conversation going with baby about flipping around. Bummer for me is that breech takes me out of using the birth center. There is no time line that I know of but they do not allow breech births. On top of that, there is only 1 Dr. who will deliver a breech baby. He is like 75 years old and kinda old-school (from what my midwife tells me). I guess he always does an episiotomy and uses forceps... the whole deal. Only other choice is C-section. So, it is a bit stressful. I was a breech baby, born vaginally... not that there is any sort of genetic relation that I know of to have my baby in breech position. I just SO want to have the baby at the birth center. Like I said, I am trying the chiropractor tomorrow. The moxibustion didn't work for me but we have been trying it at home and baby moves a lot when DH is burning the stuff.

#25 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM

36 weeks and now in complete breech, or cannon ball position. I keep telling myself there is still plenty of time!

I've been to the chiropractor 4 times, and am doing the inversions at home. Saw my CNM today, and she wants to try an external version on March 5 (37 weeks 3 days) if baby hasn't turned by then. It would be performed by CNM and an OB in her practice.

Though I continue to be hopeful that baby will voluntarily turn, or respond to the external version, I am asking questions about alternatives.

Vaginal delivery of breech baby is not an option with anyone in the practice I'm now at, and it sounds like there are only one or two OBs in the entire city who do vaginal breech delivery. And maybe not at all for a first timer like me.

As far as a scheduled C section with the practice I'm now seeing, they're comfortable with me going to a full 40 weeks. More time for baby to turn voluntarily, and also to get completely cooked. So I like that (as much as one can like any thought of surgery to deliver a baby).

Again, I hope baby turns, but I like to be informed about the possibilities ahead.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page