Help me not STRESS - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I had to go in a get an ultrasound to make sure my placenta was out of the way (was low-lying). They measured the baby as well.... not sure why, as there was no reason to do so. Anyway, I got a phone call from my midwife this afternoon saying that she wants me to come in and do antenatal testing- non-stress testing and another measure of my amniotic fluid. My fluid was measuring 8, which is in normal range. She said baby is not measuring small but the abdominal circumference of baby is small. Now, I'm worried. Baby is really active and I have no problem counting 10 kicks in an hour. The testing just freaks me out. I feel that my baby is fine.... Now, I am just kinda sitting here wondering what the deal is. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this? Help me ease my worries?

treehugger.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsurf.gif

#2 of 13 Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 PM

s mama! I sure hope it is a CYA type of testing~

Keep us updated!

Melissa
#3 of 13 Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 AM

That seems really weird. If your fluid levels are fine, why would they check them again?

I'm sure baby is fine too. Ultrasound measurements are off way too often to put much stock in them. You could just refuse the testing if you don't think it's useful/helpful. Maybe ask what exactly they're looking for/worried about. What happens if they find whatever is? What happens if you refuse more testing?

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#4 of 13 Old 02-06-2009, 12:27 AM

I would go.... just for reassurance, maybe it was the machine that was off? Who knows. We will send you some healthy baby vibes, I am sure baby is fine

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#5 of 13 Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. The more I think about it, the more relaxed I am about it. Baby is kicking away as I type and I FEEL everything is fine. In regards to why they are testing fluids again, I guess because that could be a reason for measuring small. Midwife did say head was measuring perfect, along with all other parts. Just the abdominal circumference. I really don't know. I am going to do both tests before my midwife apt tomorrow afternoon so I will learn more then. She did say I could just be dehydrated.... that many women in San Diego have low fluid levels because of the dryness....
I am tempted to refuse any more testing but don't want to have it in the back of my mind for the rest of my pregnancy.....

treehugger.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsurf.gif

#6 of 13 Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 AM

About the amnio fluid~ Have them check to see if you are leaking~ I leaked from week 21 until I was induced at 35.5 weeks~ At 34 weeks I had a fluid level of 19(per my MFS) so yes your level seems low to me they are trying to figure it out~ I would drink lots of water & lay down until your next visit~

Melissa
#7 of 13 Old 02-06-2009, 03:14 AM

Oh my gosh! THis same exact thing happened to my friend. They had her soooo stressed out about the size of her baby's abdominal cavity - 4 ultrasounds later they were really pressuring her to induce at 36 weeks. She resisted but was still nervous about everything. Baby ended up being born on due date (she induced with accupuncture and caster oil) and was TOTALLY perfectly, fine!!

Go with your gut feeling. I really think that sometimes the ultrasounds cause us unnecessary worry.
#8 of 13 Old 02-07-2009, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Upate:
well, yesterday was a helluva day. Went in for the NST and baby wasn't reacting. No news to me, as baby was maybe sleeping or just mellow... hadn't been the previous couple hours when I was at work, just dancing around in my belly. So, they then tested the amniotic fluid again via ultrasound. It was still low... something like 6-7. My midwife then completely freaked me out and sent me to labor and delivery. She said something MUST be wrong... there is no reason for fluid to be that low at 33 weeks. Also, baby's head and other body parts are on the 50-90 percentile while abdominal circumference is only 14%. Again, she said something MUST be wrong. So, she sent me walking over to labor and delivery, crying... thinking I must be leaking and might have to deliver the baby w/in the next day or so.
So, I got over there and they monitored baby again. Baby was awake then and did awesome.. reacting... no issues. The Dr. came in and did ANOTHER ultrasound. More amniotic fluid... 8 or something... not great but not a huge worry, she said. She did measurements and baby is like 5 lbs, measuring 32.5 weeks... I'm 33 weeks! So, no small baby. By this point my husbad is livid because of all the stress we had been dealing with and false red flags. Midwife then came in and tested fluid AGAIN, and fluid was up to 14. Baby must have peed, she said. WTF?!!!!!! She looked at all ultrasounds and said everything looked fine and sent me home. I am still processing the whole thing. What a mess. Good thing is, baby is fine... but I could have told them that.

#9 of 13 Old 02-07-2009, 03:14 PM

Awww momma.. I'm so sorry.. try to relax, have a strong cup of chamomile tea or some to the like... Glad baby is well..
#10 of 13 Old 02-08-2009, 07:48 AM

thats horrid and the midwife is incredibly unprofessional to get you upset like that without knowing for sure.

i am glad everything is ok.
#11 of 13 Old 02-08-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Mamas.
I agree, it was really unprofessional. I am having baby in a birth center where there are 10 or so midwives in rotation. It sucks because they don't seem to communicate and give really mixed messages.

#12 of 13 Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Wow...I'm sorry you had to go thru all of that. I would definitely be asking to NOT have that MW deliver me, especially if there are so many in the birth center. I'm glad everything is okay with the baby!

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#13 of 13 Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 AM

I agree with what the others said, there is no reason she should have stressed you out like that. Even my OB is more relaxed about things than that when I've had a concern. So sorry and glad everything is looking good.

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page