Honest opinions, how pregnant do I look? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel huge, I've gained 70 freaking lbs(bedrest, HG)... yet people are *shocked* when I tell them how far along I am(nearly 35 wks) and many people are swearing that I do not look pregnant to them at all.

I just took this pic with my phone, but just wondering if I am crazy or they are or both lol.

If you saw me at a store... would you think I was just really overweight or would you think pregnant? If pregnant, about how far along would you guess? TIA

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...rs/me35wks.jpg
#2 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 PM

I think you look how you are supposed to look for your body type at that stage :-). You look fine

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#3 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 PM

I think you look pregnant. Some people just try to be so PC these days, others could try harder. Honestly, I would have guessed that you are 6 or 7 months along, but if this is your first you carry different when things aren't as stretched out. I'm 5'1'' and so I got a lot of "wow your only that far alone and already out to there!" with my first. This time it being my 3rd I poked out at 9 weeks and just kept poking out more and more. Try not to let others get to you you look great!

Full time mom to 10/04 2/06 and my sweet surpise 3/09
#4 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

This is baby #3, but pregnancy #2. I got the same kind of comments with my twins, but they were preemie so I didn't get to experience how big I should have gotten. But I was 30-40 lbs lighter than I am now when I *delivered* them.

It's just when I get all these comments it makes me think I simply look obese instead of pregnant.

But thanks for the reassurance.
#5 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 03:26 PM

Not in your DDC, but I think you look pregnant. If I were to I guess, I'd say about 25-30 weeks.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#6 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM

you TOTALLY look 35 weeks preg! i can't understand how anyone would not think you're pregnant ??? :

70 lbs!? where is it?! seriously you must have been a tooth pick pre-preg. you should post a pre pregnancy photo.

i think you're looking great - i've seen over weight moms. they are heavy all over. while i'm sure you've gained weight in your arms/hips/face, like i did - you still have an obvious (and beautiful) baby bump.

i think i know how you're feeling. i gained 30-40 lbs with my ds. i was 118 pre-preg and throughout the first 8 months everyone "couldn't believe" i was pregnant. even though I knew i was 10, 15, 20 lbs heavier... people would always say how i wasn't showing - when the lump in front was very obvious to me!

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#7 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy_Baby View Post
you TOTALLY look 35 weeks preg! i can't understand how anyone would not think you're pregnant ??? :

70 lbs!? where is it?! seriously you must have been a tooth pick pre-preg. you should post a pre pregnancy photo.

i think you're looking great - i've seen over weight moms. they are heavy all over. while i'm sure you've gained weight in your arms/hips/face, like i did - you still have an obvious (and beautiful) baby bump.

i think i know how you're feeling. i gained 30-40 lbs with my ds. i was 118 pre-preg and throughout the first 8 months everyone "couldn't believe" i was pregnant. even though I knew i was 10, 15, 20 lbs heavier... people would always say how i wasn't showing - when the lump in front was very obvious to me!
well, thank-you! But I am about 220 lbs(I was 186 I think when I delivered my twins, but I started 125 prepreg) right now and wearing a size 18 maternity... I was around 150 lbs prepreg this time and wearing a size 7/8. I'm not all that tall, 5'6.5" -- but I think I might be built like someone taller.

I don't have many photos on here from before -- here is one where I was about 155lbs last year and those are actually size 9 jeans:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../meprepreg.jpg

I've just begun some light exercise... I was too afraid to do any before due to PTL symptoms... I just hope I can lose it all pretty quick this time around... it took me about 2 years to get down to a reasonable weight after the twins and I am so much bigger already than I was then.
#8 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 05:26 PM

dude, you must have hollow legs, I don't know where you put 70 lbs. You definitely look pg, but I wouldn't guess 35w. Probably more like 26-30? That's based on my own pg though, and I'm only 5'2", so my belly is poking out big time!

you look fantastic!

Homebirthing mama of 2
#9 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 05:33 PM

You look very pregnant hun.... don't worry about what others think

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#10 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 06:18 PM

You look pregnant to me. It probably depends on what you're wearing. When you're bundled up in winter clothes it can be hard to tell.
#11 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post
I think you look how you are supposed to look for your body type at that stage :-). You look fine
:

I know how you feel, I get that same comments, I'm 35 weeks. I've put on a lot of my weight in other places, butt, hips, legs, well, pretty much everywhere. You look pg, you look appropriate. Just ignore those other people!

married to the love of my life : and mamma to 3 amazing kids DS1 DS2 : and DD , ::
#12 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 06:55 PM

Not in your DDC, but you definitely look pregnant. I think people for some reason think saying you don't look it is nice? I think it's mean because it implies you just look fat! Weird - I was HUGE and got a lot of that too, even though you could probably tell from space that I was pregnant.

You don't look 35 weeks to me, you look more like I looked at 30 weeks. I delivered at 35 weeks, and I was massive. Seriously.
#13 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM

You definitely look pregnant, but maybe less than 35 weeks. As previous posters have said, everyone carries differently and you can't use a visual outside to determine how big the baby will be.

People don't really remember how big they were when they were pregnant or don't have an accurate memory of it. i had people telling me how tiny I was and the next day I had people telling me I looked like I was carrying twins.

Don't let it bother you. The same comments will come when your baby is born, some people will say he is huge and some will say he is small. Babies grow at different rates as well and you can have a healthy, skinny baby or a healthy chubby baby. Don't let the comments worry you then, either.
#14 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 PM

I certainly can tell you are pregnant but if you are out and about in bulky sweaters or a coat it would be easy to cover. You do not look like you have gained 70 lbs though!

My neighbors have just figured out that I am pregnant as every time I see them I am wearing a coat.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#15 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 PM

Not in you DDC but you look fantastic! And I agree, where are the 70 pounds? Seriously! I gained 80 with my second baby and I was a moose. I think one reason you don't look as far along may be because you are carrying up a little higher. You don't have a teardrop shape so it actually makes your belly look a little smaller! Don't worry and ignore what people say. People just say DUMB things to pregnant women.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#16 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in the deep south, and even when it has been sorta cold, I feel hot. So I go out with pants, shirt and sandles. Yeah, generally I don't mind what other people are thinking -- but this is like everyone... "what? you're pregnant? you can't tell AT ALL." LOL greeeeat.

I don't think the baby is small or anything... it is just the way I carry him I guess. I feel like there is so much room for him to move around in there, whereas my twins felt packed in really tight.
#17 of 24 Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 AM

I've been thinking of posting something similar. My first & only pregnancy comment last week was 'Where are you hiding the baby?'. I'm *huge* for me, bigger than I got with either boy, & have been for months. I guess I just look fat.

Sorry for that little hijack. I definitely think you look pregnant, maybe about 30 weeks, though.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#18 of 24 Old 02-07-2009, 05:44 AM

You look pregnant and beautiful! I don't see where you have gained 70 lbs though. You really look great!

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#19 of 24 Old 02-07-2009, 11:31 AM

I think you look very pregnant. You look just fine.
#20 of 24 Old 02-07-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
I've been thinking of posting something similar. My first & only pregnancy comment last week was 'Where are you hiding the baby?'. I'm *huge* for me, bigger than I got with either boy, & have been for months. I guess I just look fat.

Sorry for that little hijack. I definitely think you look pregnant, maybe about 30 weeks, though.
ouch gotta *love* that comment -- go ahead and post a pic if you want
#21 of 24 Old 02-08-2009, 04:36 AM

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4.../37weeks_2.jpg

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#22 of 24 Old 02-08-2009, 04:50 AM

Is it the way you wear your shirts by chance? Minmizing the "basketball" look?

I would hesitate to say you look preggers. Especially 35 weeks. Maybe 20?

lol, but that's me! I had to wear maternity clothes by week 4 and was humongous in general. I didn't believe people until I had photos done at 35 weeks. Two of your tummies could fit over mine haha.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#23 of 24 Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 PM

I think you look pregnant! But I know what it's like to not look pregnant to others. With my first I was asked if I was 5 months pregnant the day before I delivered her at 39w 4d. With ds I was pretty small too. Now this one I'm getting comments of...wow you're alot bigger this time then with your others. Yes, I am, but it's my 3rd and I'm still not that big. But you know, I just think people have to comment...

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#24 of 24 Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 PM

You look pregnant! I would guess 7-8 months too. And i'm with everyone else, i have no idea where you put 70lbs.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page