Measuring small - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-06-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my 34.5 week midwife appt today and am measuring small. Actually, I'm measuring the same as I was over a month ago- 31 cm. My midwife (the one I saw today) said she would like for me to get an u/s just to check and see if the baby is small. So I have one scheduled for next Wednesday now. She did mention the baby seemed to be down rather low, which I hadn't really noticed too much since I don't have any extra pressure or anything. My boys were 7lbs 10oz, 2 days late and 7lbs 8oz, 2 1/2 weeks early. I don't really know what to think.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#2 of 10 Old 02-06-2009, 06:13 PM

I had the same thing happen to me today. 37 weeks, measuring 34. The dr did a quickie ultrasound and said baby is pretty engaged in my pelvis and that's probably why I'm measuring small but we're also doing a weight estimate ultrasound oin Monday. FWIW my first boy measured small too and was 6 lb 2 oz at 39 weeks. I feel (hope) like this baby is bigger though.
#3 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 02:01 AM

I don't get all this freaking out medpros seem to be doing lately about measuring a tiny bit small or large. 2-3cm off of the number of weeks is normal & should be expected, especially if the baby is low. Measurement changes based on baby's position, amount of fluid, the way the person measures....lots of things.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#4 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 02:24 AM

ITA Devaskyla. I measure differently all the time especially if baby is in a weird position. I think caregivers depend too much on those machines.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#5 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanielayne View Post
ITA Devaskyla. I measure differently all the time especially if baby is in a weird position. I think caregivers depend too much on those machines.
Yeah this.. I've had a 5 cm swing in measurements in one day simply from baby moving around..

Def. depending on those machines too much, my first pregnancy they were worried about a low weight baby from their ultrasound estimates.. DD was 8 pounds even.. LOL.
#6 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. One thing I've been wondering about is if not drinking enough water would have much of an effect on the amount of amniotic fluid. I definitely haven't been drinking as much water with this pregnancy.

#7 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 PM

I am measuring small as well and was really worried at first until I got some replies to my concerns here and had a couple more OB visits. I have had an ultrasound and non-stress test that shows all is fine, I am a petite person and have noticed that the midwives in the practice are relatively laid back about it. The OB's still want to do weekly U/S and N/S tests just in case (they also made me get tested for Hep C just bc I have a tattoo, toxoplasmosis bc I have cats, a full cardio work up due to a heart murmur thats so minor no-one can even hear it most of the time)... I think most docs are just nervous about lawsuits these days so they go above and beyond.
#8 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Yes, not drinking enough can definitely cause low amniotic fluid.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#9 of 10 Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had the u/s and midwife appt this morning. Baby looks good and is proportionately small. Estimated to be 23% for weight, small head, normal (8.9) amniotic fluid level. Midwife said there was nothing to worry about and that she is just on the small side. I think they estimated 4lbs 5oz, but obviously that could be off. Now I'm hoping she stays in there until her due date for sure (ds2 was 2 1/2 weeks early) and wondering what it might be like to have a smaller baby. My boys were 7lbs 10oz and 7lbs 8oz, so not huge, but a normal, healthy size.

#10 of 10 Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 PM

Glad that everything is fine. Girls are generally smaller than boys (not always of course), and as long as she's healthy, that's all that matters! She may be your little p-nut. My 2nd dd was "small". She was only 7lb5oz, which is small for my babies, and she was my little p-nut. She was always in the low percentile for everything. One time she measured in the 5th percentile for weight and 10th for height! She's 13 now and still skinny minny, but nearly as tall as me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page