Worried about Hiccups - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I know that babies both inside and outside Utero get hiccups and everything that I have read says that there is nothing wrong. Some things even say that it is a good sign that the baby's lungs are working well. But I can't help this feeling that hiccuping so hard like that is okay. How do doctors really know that the baby isn't in some kind of distress? I notice the hiccups coming on when I take a warm bath, after orgasms...and now they seem to be happening more and more often. Inside I feel like the baby must be in some kind of distress to be hiccuping like that...but I am a first timer here so maybe I am being a worry wort.

Anyone have anything to share about hiccupping or experiences about it?
#2 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM

My babies always get lots of hiccups in the womb! It is a good sign! And yes, sometimes they are harder than others and sometimes seem to be on and off all day long! But I can assure you in my experience of 5 pregnancies, it's totally normal and good. My babies get a lot of hiccups outside of the womb too. I remember my third baby got hiccups ALL.THE.TIME. after she was born for about the first 4 months. I was thinking something was wrong with her! She was fine of course. No worries mamma, your lo is doing great!
#3 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 PM

It's funny because I was worried a couple weeks ago because I hadn't felt any hiccups yet.

I couldn't remember how early they had started with my other pregnancies but I was all paranoid that something was wrong with the baby cause I hadn't felt hiccups yet.
#4 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 05:27 PM

This is so funny. Last night I was laying in bed and i felt what i thINK was hiccups, I mean, how do you really know? It was down by his head and felt like strong kicks- but again, by his head not his feet! Anyways, I was telling my husband, " I think he is hiccupping," and my husband goes, " I don't think think babies hiccup." Ha, yes they do!
#5 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM

Every night around eleven, my baby has the craziest and strongest hiccups ever. To the point where I feel ill because of how strong they are, but it's normal.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#6 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got tons of hiccups with ds and I mean almost constantly...for like 5-10 min at a time, probably 20 times a day or more - at least the last few weeks before I delivered at 36 weeks. And, at 4 lbs 13 oz, he had amazing lungs and we went home on time, he nursed fine! So, in my one sample, they did wonders!!!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#7 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 PM

My son hiccupped almost all the time when I was pregnant and continued hiccupping after he was born too. No problems or anything. This baby has only had the hiccups once so I don't know what the deal is.
#8 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 PM

This baby gets hiccups every day at least once. It's funny...at work, at some point in the early afternoon, I'll suddenly pipe up, "Hiccups!" And my co-worker thinks it's so funny...or maybe she laughs just to humor me And he sometimes has them again in the evenings, too.

I think what you're experiencing is totally normal.

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#9 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 PM
kdf

This little one used to get hiccups every night at 11when I was already having a hard time getting to sleep. Now baby gets them at any time of the day. They were at one point making me sick now I can handle it. My dd got them all the time too and even now she gets them every time she laughs too much. It is a good thing, I feel it is another sign that baby is still moving in there.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#10 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 11:24 PM

This baby seems to get them approx 20 mins after I eat.

Sometimes they are strong, sometimes less strong. Never something i've worried about.
#11 of 22 Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 PM

DD had lotssss of hiccups in utero. DS not so much.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#12 of 22 Old 02-07-2009, 01:46 AM

This baby only seems to have had them a couple times. The other 2 had them more. I think they just swallow too fast or something & irritate their diaphrams. Hiccups really don't seem to bother babies at all, most of the time.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#13 of 22 Old 02-07-2009, 01:03 PM

I've read two negatives about hiccups, though I'm sure they don't explain all cases of hiccups and the first one's not necessarily a problem at all: 1) the cord is around the baby's neck (and in case you're not familiar - that's normal and happens all the time. My DS was born with it around his neck 3x and he was never in any distress in labor or delivery). 2) that it can indicate food sensitivities in the baby.

I'm sure many babies have hiccups and don't have either of those things though. *shrug*

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#14 of 22 Old 02-07-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all your replies. I do feel a bit better now. I guess that the baby is just getting ready for the big day when himmer takes it's first breath. It is also good to hear that so many other babies are experiencing this and that it is not abnormal.
#15 of 22 Old 02-07-2009, 04:12 PM

My dd had such intense hicups when I was pregnant with her. They continued even after she was born, so be warned. They were really violent, and sometimes she'd get distressed, but they got better as she got older.
#16 of 22 Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Add me to the tons of hiccups list too. She is constantly doing it. It has been beneficial to me as it reassures me as to what position she is in.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#17 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 AM

This is pg #4 and all my babies have had hiccups, A LOT!

When I mentioned this to my MW, she said it was a great sign and that in her experience, babies who have hiccups a lot in utero rarely need any breathing help after they are born. Makes sense to me!

Katie : Mom to three under four. Yes, i don't sleep often.
#18 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Do the hiccups make anyone else feel ill??? My babe's are so strong, they shake my whole body, and I feel weird, to the point of feeling ill, but I know they always happen at about eleven at night so I try to prepare myself for them.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#19 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 AM

They don't make me feel ill, but he gets them daily now. It was weird cuz he didn't have any til just a couple weeks ago and since they have been daily, whereas I recall my DD being a few times a week, but started earlier.

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#20 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM

Mine get them all the time. And I have never ever heard the theory about the cord on the neck or the food sensitivities. Those theories sound rather, uh, suspect! Anyway, don't worry! The baby is fine! I attribute it to them gulping amniotic fluid.
#21 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Not in your DDC, but my first DD (now 28 mo) had crazy strong, long lasting, frequent bouts of hiccups. She's a sensitive child, and crazy active (in utero and now out). No lasting problems at all from heavy hiccupping in utero. DD2 is 5 weeks old and I never felt her hiccupping in utero. She gets them often now, though, I think from too much/too fast milk flow. But either way, no real concern.

DD1 once hiccupped so hard I almost fell of my chair at work. It was NOT a kick or a punch, it was hiccups. Strong hiccups!
#22 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 PM

My LO gets them all the time, usually a couple times a day. This is my first but I'm sure it's fine, it's nice to have some reassurance what position the baby is in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page