the "taking care of ourselves" thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ladies, we are all coming down the home stretch here. we are varying degrees of uncomfortable, hormonal, overwhelmed, excited, exhausted...we all know how we feel.

there have been so many threads lately focused on negatives in our lives, so i would like for us to share some positive thoughts:

what are you doing to take care of yourself right now?
what are you doing to pamper yourself?
besides finally having your baby in your arms, what are you looking forward to doing after your birth?

i've been getting TONS of rest lately, generally taking much, much better care of myself and feeling so much better for it. also, i've made some resolutions pertaining to situations in my life that i no longer find acceptable and feel good about the new direction that i've chosen. it's hard, but i feel so very resolved; compelled to set a good example for my baby of what makes a strong mommy.

to pamper myself, i went to see a cousin who just got her cosmetology license and treated myself to a haircut, color, highlights...something i NEVER, EVER do...she gave me a great deal and it honestly made me feel so much better because i'm enormously pregnant right now. on monday, i made an appointment with a massage therapist friend to get a massage, after which another friend is making me dinner so we can all just hang out and relax.

after the baby comes, i can't wait to get back on my bike. i think about it every single day now, and how good it's going to feel to stretch out my muscles. i also can't wait to go on a road trip with eden. i love taking random day trips and haven't felt comfortable straying too far from home since i've been pg. probably head to the mountains first, because they're closer, but when she's a little older i can't wait to drive to the ocean, and dip her little toes into the water

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 12:03 AM

great thread!

I have just been trying to listen to my body- rest when it needs rest and be active when it feels like it! I haven't really done anything to pamper myself, I wish! I feel guilty when I spend money on myself, I wish my hubby would get me a gift certificate!!!! Someone tell him!

I'm looking forward to running again and lifting weights and just getting my body back!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

sending pampering vibes to your dh :

trust me, i wouldn't be spending the money if i was paying full price

Old 02-07-2009, 12:25 AM

I havn't been doing much to be good to myself! My husband has rubbed my back and hips. Oh and I did go over to my brothers the other day(hes a chiropractor) and he adjusted me! That felt good untill my body decided it didn't want to be in alighnment.

I am looking forward to being able to hold more then one of my kids at a time! I have to hold them to the side when we cuddle and it just isn't as fun! Oh and not haveing to make sure I have TUms with me at all times.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 AM

My friend and I got pedicures yesterday. I painted my toes baby blue, lol.

I take nice, warm baths every night.

I nap almost daily.

I knit A LOT

After baby: I'm looking forward to sleeping on my stomach (once the boobs calm down) and wear regular clothes.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I sleep as much as I can and I take a bath most nights before bed. I also eat ice cream most nights, too. =P

I used to love going on walks in the afternoon, but haven't done so in a long time (stupid asthma has been exacerbated by pregnancy), so I'm looking forward to going on walks with the baby!

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 AM

I take a nap everyday. I take showers that are as long as I want and blow dry my hair afterward. Doing lots of knitting and spending lots of time with DH and DS1. I actually haven't been to uncomfortable since baby dropped. Not feeling desperate to get him out or anything. If I had to pick something I'm really looking forward to (besides meeting him) it would be doing yoga postures that involve getting down on my tummy.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:51 AM

oh yes, sleeping on my stomach! I am so looking forward to that and sprawling my legs out like I used to do. We got a new king size bed but I haven't been able to enjoy it sleeping on my side!

ANd hot baths, ah I love those.. I need to do more of those!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:21 AM

I have been taking it very easy on myself since my PTL. Dh has been around a lot more recently and taken some of my chores off of my hands like taking the boys to and from school and helping the girls with breakfast or lunch.

I am looking forward to being able to get outside and get more exercise. Also seeing the interaction my children and the new baby. I can't wait until I can get a PT job to help pitch in financially and have a little time to myself.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
Old 02-07-2009, 03:26 AM

To take care of myself I am making sure to do my Hypnobabies every day. I am a very anxious person so this is very important to keeping me sane. It is amazing how much it relaxes me and I am actually at a point where I am no longer nervous about the birth.

To pamper myself I have upped my monthly massage to a weekly. Sleeping is getting difficult and having a massage each week is really helping things. My birthday was last week so I also treated myself to a fancy pedicure. I may have to do that once more before the little one arrives.

I'm looking forward to going to restaurants and ordering a meal without having to ask how certain things are prepared and requesting substitutions. I keep joking with my husband that one of the snacks I want him to bring to the hospital is a wedge of blue cheese. Also, sleeping on my stomach and wearing pants that don't fall down!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:38 AM

To pamper myself, I guess you could also say that I take long hot showers...but that has always been a daily guilty pleasure of mine. Oh! I found a heating pad that I'd forgotten we had, and sat on the sofa with it on my lower back tonight, so that was nice. I'd really love for someone to offer to help me bleach [close to but not as close as I'd normally do] my roots and put some dye in my hair (I usually keep the parts that frame my face hot pink, and it's soooooo faded out at the moment), but I doubt anyone will.

As for what I'm looking forward to afterward (all the baby stuff being a given)...I just want to feel good again. I never feel good, and I honestly don't remember what it's like. I know she'll be worth all of what I've been through, but I just want to feel like myself again.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:20 AM

I'm looking forward to having a margarita somewhere afterwards lol...hmm lets see I havent done much for me. I do take a bath every day but I am still dealing with my kids while in there lol. I plan on getting my hair done though or something as soon as we get our tax money that will be nice either I will do it myself or pay some place. I want to lose weight too and feel normal again.:

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:47 AM

Uuuuu... very good thread.

what are you doing to take care of yourself right now?
-try to walk every day at least 30mins, even that I have pain in the hips.

what are you doing to pamper yourself?
-naping when ever I want to.

besides finally having your baby in your arms, what are you looking forward to doing after your birth?
-going to gym and lifting weights, having red and bubluing wine, meeting new people with babies and hopefullt making new friends.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:41 PM

To take better care of myself, I've been listening better to my body. My brain wants to do the usual and push, push, push - staying up until all hours of the night and getting very little sleep, eating poorly, drinking very little - if at all - water. Ever since I started swelling and developed a hernia, I learned to say no to various parties and projects, getting 8 hours of sleep (at least) and drinking a TON of water.

To pamper myself, I've learned to not berate myself when I can't do everything that I want to, or that people ask me to do. I still hate playing the pregnancy card, but telling people that I can't help them move because my midwife would KILL me seems to be more acceptable in my mind.

I'm looking forward to getting back into an exercise regime. I'm looking forward to being able to walk 3.5 miles a day and not have to worry about peeing. I'm especially looking forward to shedding these 64 pounds I've put on!!!!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

Old 02-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hot baths, salon treatments, and massages sounds wonderful! None of those are options for me right now, but I'm doing my best to take care of myself in other ways.

Eating whatever I want. :

Totally slacking on the housework, and asking for help way more than I normally do.

Going to bed early.

What I'm looking forward to after the baby is born - sleeping on my stomach and not having this constant pelvic pain and heartburn. And being able to walk faster than a turtle.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:14 PM

I am really grateful most days, and feel pretty good overall.

To take care of myself I eat a lot, take my vitamins, dance, yoga, rest when I need to, rub oils on myself, hypnobirthing practice and do emotional clearing.

I am very pampered. My DP's give me or get me regular massages. They also make me breakfast every morning and usually one of them either takes me to dinner or makes dinner. I visit the chiropractor about once a week. One of my DP's does a lot to induce oxytocin in my body by kissing and stroking me...he loves giving.

I really look forward to being able to get back into exercise. Pre-pregnancy I rode a bike everyday, lifted weights, jogged, and danced really hard. I have dreams about riding a bike again. I also look forward to being sexier than ever by working on my body and having a "normal" sex life again without this big belly. And sleeping on my stomach, and eating raw foods again. So much to look forward to, but I want to enjoy these last few weeks of being pregnant.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

i want to hear more. i really think this is important!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:03 PM

I am looking forward to sleeping on my back and being on maternity leave with my new baby. Baby is due within the next 1-6 weeks!

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 AM

To take care of myself, I am drinking tons of water, getting more sleep, trying to walk on the treadmill or stationary bike a couple of times of week, but also listening to my body (breathing has been hard since the LO moved into my diaphragm).

Pampering- oh, pampering! We won a night at a local inn in a silent auction a few months ago, and we used it last night. There was a double whirlpool tub, and I floated and rolled (actually could lie on my tummy in the water!), bobbed and flipped to my whale-like content! It was awesome! I also think I will get a massage some time in the next weeks.

Looking forward to: taking walks- that one may be more weather related than pregnancy related, though. I am looking forward to breastfeeding again- I really love that closeness, and it seems to get me calm, centered- DS1 weaned himself during this pregnancy, and I miss it.
And wearing my regular clothes! I feel like I am running out of things that are feasible as the belly continues to grow. It may take a while, but I will get back in those jeans!

Great to hear about mamas being good to themselves. Modeling balance is a goal of mine!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:57 AM

I'm pampering myself by resting and relaxing as much as possible. My teens are picking up A LOT of the slack. We're going to give them each a special gift after the baby is born... not sure what yet though. I've also been indulging in some of my favorite foods, too! :

Afterwards I am looking forward to SPRING and getting out of this house! I've felt so cooped up lately. Looking forward to my teens being done with school so we can enjoy the summer off. And I'm looking forward to exercising and getting back into my clothes and feeling "normal" again.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Well I’m trying to take care of myself the best I can. I have DH rub my hips, feet and legs every night. It really helps. I also have been taking the kids swimming during the open swim time at the pool. When I was pregnant with them I took water exercise both times. This time my schedule doesn’t allow it, but we just get in and splash around- and it takes the pressure of the extra weight off my hips and pelvis. Plus the kids have so much fun, and I like it that it is something we can do together. I’ve been keeping up with my yoga practice too, and that feels good.

I also have taken some time to read some novels and to knit instead of running around all over the place. Those are luxuries that I often don’t afford myself when things get busy. I have a free massage coming to me, and I need to schedule it soon. I would love to have a pedicure too because it is really hard to groom my own feet at the moment, but I’m not sure if I will be able to make that happen or not.

Most of all, I am planning on taking off of work before my due date- which has given me peace of mind. After the 20th I hopefully will have everything tied up at work and can walk away for 16 weeks and focus on myself and the new baby and the family.

I thought my last baby was the last baby, but this one really is the last one. This is really my last pregnancy. I want to enjoy it and savor it a bit.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 AM

Great thread!

I made a pact with myself to do regular massages with this PG-- now i am up to doing them about every 7 to 10 days It's lovely!

I take baths every other night with DS but the water isn't warm enuf and the tub is so shallow it's pathetic!

I am taking time to sit at starbucks and read books without interruption.

This time I will do pregnancy photos with my neighbor who is studying photography (yikes! we gotta do this soon, I'm 37.5 weeks!)

I will probably get a pedi before the birth too.

Oh and I am resting a lot (napping nearly everyday) and asking DH to scratch my back or rub my feet a lot

And I see the chiro every 7 to 10 days now too.

I had SUCH a lousy, traumatic birth last time that this time I am doing things very differently, very nurturingly~

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

yesterday i finally released my emotional baggage so i am now officially ready for this birth. accepted that my h and i won't be working things out and am now ready to receive that which i deserve from the universe - not what i've been settling for. i feel much stronger now.

spent a relaxing evening at a friends house - received a really wonderful pregnancy massage from my dear friends' boyfriends' roommate (follow that?) and was fed dinner afterward.

today it's going to be 65 degrees, so i may take a book to the park and lay in the sunshine for awhile, or go for an easy hike with a friend.

i've been taking warm baths every night just before bed. i never took them much pre-pregnancy but they've been a life saver this last month, as my legs have been really uncomfortable. i think i'm in

hope everyone else is doing well :

Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 PM

I'm sorry guys. This thread isn't the right place for my pity party.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 AM

User Tag List