1 cm! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1cm, 40% effaced, -1 station.

I know, I know, it doesn't mean anything. I'm still excited. :

Does that mean the baby dropped? I don't feel pressure or that watermelon between the legs feeling people talk about.

mom to DD 3/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 03:20 PM

-1 is not quite engaged, but low. i just in the last few days started really getting the watermelon feeling...i was at a -1 last week, so i'm curious to know what my mw says at my appt tomorrow.

i've also been walking around at 90%/1cm for a few weeks now....she better tell me that something's changed!!!

regardless, it's still exciting, even though it could still mean a few weeks. that's still JUST A FEW WEEKS. things are happening...

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
#3 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 PM

With my first pregnancy, I got so nervous from the info that was given from vaginal exams (VE).

With this pregnancy, I am not getting any VE. The information doesn't mean anything! You get checked and be completely closed up, and baby is born later that day. Or you could be like me during my 1st pregnancy, and walk about for WEEKS at 95% effaced and 4cm dilated.

Also, I don't want to risk the possibility of having a PROM or getting an infection from a VE.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#4 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 04:37 PM

for me cervical checks are how we tell if I am in labor. I have never had bloody show or tons of mucus and my water has never broke to start labor. What usually happens to me is I start getting ridiculously sick, vomiting,nauseated really bad and really bad headache. I also cant tell if I'm having contractions so I always have them check me and usually when I start getting that way I'm usually 5 cm or so and ready. I have only noticeably lost my mucus plug like once and that was after a membrane strip. So everyone is different...

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#5 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshund mom View Post

I know exactly how you feel. It might not mean anything as to when the baby will be born, but it's still exciting to see your body starting to do its thing. I don't mind getting VEs - I think it's interesting to know what happening down there.

Last week my cervix was tightly closed, but this week I'm dilated to 1 cm. Labor could still be weeks away (although I doubt it based on past experience), but it was cool to learn that the stronger contractions I've been having during the past week were doing something, just as I thought they were.
#6 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 05:00 PM

To me, even though it doesn't predict when labor will start, it still means a lot to hear when there is some progression down there. I was 3 cms and 50% effaced with DS before I went into labor and I was SO excited to have that much out of the way already! I've heard or read tons of birth stories where the mom labored ALL day and finally felt like she was getting somewhere and the birth would be soon just to be checked and find out she was only 1 or 2 cms dilated and still had a long way to go. So, to me, to hear that I'm dilating reassures me that I won't have any frustrating info like that given to me during labor. And, as an aside, VE are nice for those of us that have preterm birth history. I start getting checked in two weeks (at 34 weeks) to see if anything is happening down there because DS was born at 36 weeks. So, for someone like me, it's nice to have that feedback to know if I should prepare for another early baby or not.
#7 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshund mom View Post

Does that mean the baby dropped? I don't feel pressure or that watermelon between the legs feeling people talk about.
I'm excited for you! : Yes, it's true that it really doesn't mean anything, and you know that, but still... it's your first baby and it's exciting to know things are happening! I remember with my first that I was dying to know every week what my body was doing. Although I do admit that it caused a little frustration because I kept expecting more to happen and I stayed at like 2cm dilated forever. I ended up being 12 days late! But, I still wanted to know, so...

Having your first baby is so exciting!
#8 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 PM

How exciting that things are starting to happen!!!
#9 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 06:37 PM

Maybe this is a dumb question, is 1cm the smallest you can be dialated or are you dialated at all? I was 1cm last week but I didn't know if you could be 0cm.
#10 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila2801 View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question, is 1cm the smallest you can be dialated or are you dialated at all? I was 1cm last week but I didn't know if you could be 0cm.
My MW said today that I'm "completely closed", which I'm assuming would be the same as 0cm. But that's just a guess.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#11 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 PM

good to know, thanks conchobhar!
#12 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 07:05 PM

I think its very exciting to know things are getting ready. I was curious myself and checked in the shower this morning. I'm thick and closed - but very soft - a little something to make me happy.

Mama to 4.5
#13 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM

It is exciting to hear whether it means much or not. At least you know something is going on!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#14 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Y'all get where I'm coming from! Thanks for being excited with me.

mom to DD 3/09
#15 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 PM

What fun! 1 out of the way & 9 to go Hopefully they will go fast when they go
}
Melissa

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page