Depression meds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you think it is too late for me to call the Dr and ask for something, My life seems to be headed straight down hill, and I am very depressed. Now we found out today that we won't be getting our tax return as expected, so now we are facing alot of overdue bills! I just don't think I can handle anything else... will meds help? and is it too late to get started? I just don't want to be all sad and depressed when the baby arrives.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am not in your DDC and know this website leans toward everything natural in pregnancy, but I think it is better to get them in your system (you have to start with a low dose regardless so it shouldn't affect your already developed baby much if at all). There are some medications that are ok in pregnancy and for breast feeding if you plan to do so. I am a first time Mom and haven't experience post partum hormones yet, but I know that if you are already feeling blue it might help to get something in your system. I am on an anti-depressant for an anxiety disorder (OCD) and have been for the whole pregnancy as me and my doctor decided the benefits outweighed the risks (which are few and far in between) so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. .

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 02-12-2009, 05:54 PM

to you, mamma. I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I don't really have an answer to your question, but I think that you need to talk to your doctor/midwife, whichever applies. I had PPD with DS2, so I know what these feelings are like, and they are horrible. I got off meds in my first trimester this time, I wasn't comfortable on them during pregnancy, but I do know that my doctor told me I didn't have to come off them, so I could have kept taking them. As far as starting them in third trimester, I don't know. Just wanted to offer support to you and encourage you to talk to someone. Hope you feel better soon.

married to the love of my life : and mamma to 3 amazing kids DS1 DS2 : and DD , ::
Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just started an antidepressant a couple of weeks ago. I've been depressed before and knew that this is what was going on with me and that it would most likely only get worse after the baby is born, so I asked my doctor to prescribe something for me. She prescribed me one medication that she thinks is the safest during the third trimester (but wouldn't be her choice for earlier in the pregnancy) and told me that I might have to change to another one for breastfeeding depending on what my baby's pediatrician says.

I can already feel the difference...I'm not 100% better yet, but I'm not spending hours a day crying anymore, and that's definitely a good thing! I think if you really need something, you should ask your doctor and don't feel bad about it. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone else.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 PM

I take zoloft...I've suffered from depression since I was a preteen though and never treated it until I was an adult on my own. It really helps me. It' also ok forpregnancy and nursing so if you feel the benefits outweigh the risks and so does the doc you are seeing then you need to do what is best for you.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:52 PM

IMO being depressed because a bunch of crappy things are happening to you is not the same as being clinically depressed. When you're clinically depressed, you're sad even when great things are happening. It's normal to be depressed if you're going through a lot of rough things.

Have you tried talking to a psychologist? I would definitely seek out therapy before automatically getting on medication. Medication can be a wonderful thing if it's the right thing for you, but it does have risks (as you know I'm sure) so it's not something you should do as the first course of action.

I'm sorry things are being so hard for you.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
IMO being depressed because a bunch of crappy things are happening to you is not the same as being clinically depressed. When you're clinically depressed, you're sad even when great things are happening. It's normal to be depressed if you're going through a lot of rough things.
I just have to say I was thinking this, too, when I posted, but I couldn't think of the right way to say this. You said it well.

married to the love of my life : and mamma to 3 amazing kids DS1 DS2 : and DD , ::
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
I am going to third this. I have been on Zoloft for 6 years and there is a difference in being clinicaly depressed and just down about everything that is going on. For me when I know it's depresion is when everything should be fine but I am still depressed abou tit.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 PM

Think talk therapy would be a better way to go for you. Just my 2 cents.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM

you mentioned bills, so i'm sure finding money for a therapist might be hard. but, (not sure if you work or not) check to see if either your company or your hubby's company has an EAP program - it's an employee assistance program - and most have counselors available where you get 3 sessions free.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherto4 View Post
I am going to third this. I have been on Zoloft for 6 years and there is a difference in being clinicaly depressed and just down about everything that is going on. For me when I know it's depresion is when everything should be fine but I am still depressed abou tit.
I knew it was depression for me when I could not enjoy the good things and could not handle the bad things. Even normal everyday stuff that would go wrong would be too much for me and set me off crying for hours. I mean, it was not a normal reaction at all. I do think that the severity of your reaction to bad circumstances can be a sign of depression when part of a bigger picture of other depressive traits.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM

I do agree that being clinically depressed is different than dealing with a lot of difficult, depressing situations.
In my experience, depression involved a loss of perspective, and having worse than normal coping skills. So, yes, there were great situational reasons to feel bad, but my emotional responses were NOT good, and I couldn't seem to turn the tide, feel good enough to start digging out, working through the grief, etc.
Anyway, the best thing would maybe be to talk to some good healthcare provider- just keep in mind that if you talk to a medical doctor first, you will most likely just get a prescription (that is what they know how to do).

I've been thinking about you since your other post~ I hope you can take care of yourself, whatever you need to do. This is such a stressful time, but pretty great, too- babies! - and you deserve to be able to enjoy the good stuff!
~Jenn
Old 02-12-2009, 10:19 PM

I really have to agree that for you and what seems to be getting you down - not coping well with all the junky stuff happening in your life, it is probably best to start with talking to someone.

I know you have state ins, right? medicaid or something? They definitely cover that kind of stuff. I'd call right away...this is not a time to just go for an easy fix...and honestly, having been on meds for a large portion of my adult life (17-25), they really don't "work" - problems still exist, and you still need to learn how to cope better with whatever life throws your way. I didn't learn much until I decided I just felt dead inside on meds and couldn't ever see clearly (lots of different ones at diff times) and I got off and never looked back. They all have various side effects that truly change your body and how you may feel physically as well. They are not pleasant for most people...some don't experience side effects, but that doesn't mean they are not doing things to your body. Its been almost 4 years and life is so much clearer. I am feeling depressed again and its been a long while for me, actually, but I know its because of circumstances and I have faith that if I keep getting through day to day and try to get adequate rest, talk it out with dh or whoever I feel is best at the time, then this too will pass...and life will one day seem a bit brighter. Also, it wouldn't hurt to practice some breathing and figure out what helps YOU. Before you jump into meds.

Here's a story for you. When I first went on Zoloft, I didn't sleep for almost a week, I thought I went crazy hearing voices, and didn't eat for three weeks...a doctor kept telling me to wait it out. I switched to two other ones within a few months and lost weight I couldn't afford to and cried everyday, I felt HORRIBLE physically...I found one that worked for me, I won't name, and it helped me sleep, gain weight and keep it on, eat well, numbed my pain, and allowed me to laugh again. I thought life was lovely for awhile. Until I realized one night I couldn't sleep without it (ever) and realized my med was controlling my life, not me. Fine, until I started losing memories. Major memories, I couldn't recall, and still cannot recall many things...One day after I went off it, I got a letter saying I was getting a portion of the payout due to a case in court that proved the medication was at fault for damaging parts of the brain that recall memories/information. Lovely medicine that helped me for years...took so much more from me than I'll ever know. And I later received a check for $183. How nice of them.

Try something else first. For yourself and your kiddos. You can do this.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 PM

try st johns wort or vitamen d3

sjw is freaking awesome.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 PM

And also, try not to dwell. I used to really complain a ton and honestly, it just made me feel worse during and after. I try to talk about how things make me feel now instead of well this is wrong and this sucked and then this on top of it all, bla bla bla. It does not help. It just breeds more negativity...try to discuss how youre feeling instead and then how you think you need to get past or through it depending on what it is. Somtimes its better to just try to forget something happened so shitty and move on past it. For instance, your car accident. Let dh deal with that one, YOU forget all about it and don't ask. Period. Sometimes, its best to figure out a way to deal with something. FOr instance, your doctor situation. Try to resolve it in a positive and proactive manner. Anticipate it getting worse before getting better and promise yourself to adjust to however it seems to turn out and than prepare to pat yourself on the back for dealing with it positively.

Just some suggestions.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies I needed that advice. Think I will try to let things go for a few days, and see how I feel.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
Old 02-13-2009, 02:29 AM

Baby's birth might actually help your spirits, too! I have dealt with depression since early teens, but did really well after the birth of my baby. It may help you get over a hump, so don't assume that you're headed for ppd! I agree that finding someone to talk to would probably be the best choice first.

User Tag List