Ack, the night sweats are back!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember having the night sweats with my other babes, but I remember having it in the first week or so, while still in the hospital. Now little Mark is almost two weeks, on Monday, and I'm just starting to get these horrific night sweats. ugh! I wake up soaked with sweat from head to toe, all soaking wet, it's really unpleasant.

To you mammas who also just delivered, or who had babies before, when did you have night sweats? Right away, or was it delayed a little? It's SO uncomfortable. Gads. Guess I'd better have some extra water, too.
#2 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Sorry, I don't remember having night sweats with my first two. Hope they stop for you soon.
#3 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember being hot and sweaty a lot after having my babies, but I don't remember when it started or when it ended. In fact, I had forgotten all about that bit of postpartum fun....something to look forward to, I guess. Hope it ends soon for you.
#4 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 PM

I've been having them since the second trimester! I can't wait to not wake up to drenched sheets (of course, next it will be sheets drenched with breast milk!)

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#5 of 9 Old 02-22-2009, 02:15 PM

I think mine started a couple days after getting home from the hospital and lasted a week or so. I am getting a mattress pad this weekend for both beds I sleep in just for this reason.

The nice thing about the sweats is that you know your body is getting rid of toxins effectively and your losing excess water weight. Both positives...but I do know how miserable it is to wake up like someone literally poured a bucket of water on you. I don't have that many clothes that fit me at this point and so when I do sweat through my nightclothes, there won't be many alternatives. I guess I should go ahead and buy a couple cheap pairs of jogging pants as well, so atleast I'll have something to put on when I wake sopping wet.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#6 of 9 Old 02-23-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yeh, that's a good idea to get some extra stuff to wear at night. I have about four nightshirts that I rotate, and keep washing. Between the night sweats and the leaking milk and the baby sometimes spitting up....well, I'm doing a lot of wash! And YIKES, I have not even started to cloth diaper again yet!

It always amazes me how someone so little can generate WAY more than his body weight in laundry every single day. I mean, he must generate like ten times his body weight in laundry every day. Like I said, that doesn't even include cloth diapers yet. Scary. It's better than when I was a first-time mom, at least now I can anticipate and prevent some of the leaks and things, but it's not too different.
#7 of 9 Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 PM

I had them about a week after I delivered. I think it was my body's way of coming down off all of the hormones.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#8 of 9 Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 PM

I had them really bad after both boys!! I would wake in the middle of the night wiping down with my sheets still in my sleep. I was soaked! I think it started a few days after delivery and lasted for a while, on and off. I have already to sweat at night, but not to that level. One more thing to look forward to Good luck... I used to keep a stack of clothes by the bed to change between the sweats and leaking... oh one more thing, I am not someone who hardly ever sweats, even in heat... so this was really weird for me.
#9 of 9 Old 02-24-2009, 01:06 PM

I had them immediately and they lasted over a month with my DD, but with DS there was more of a delay with them starting and they didn't last as long, but I don't remember exactly what the timing was. With DD I had pitting edema in my legs and hands, and had a hospital induction in which they pumped tons more fluid into me during labor. So for weeks after she was born I was just drenched in sweat- day and night- trying to get all that fluid out of my body. But even if you didn't have much swelling, we all retain fluid in our bodies and it has to get out somehow. Hang in there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page