Just found out my CD service won't work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so bummed right now. This whole pregnancy we've planned to use a cloth diapering service. But when I finally got in contact with the owner today, I found out they stopped servicing my area in December! There's no other services in the area that do washings for CD. We live in an apartment, with no washer/dryer, so we do all our laundry at the laundromat. We can't afford to invest a bunch of money on diapers right now, I don't know the laundromat's policy on laundering dirty diapers, and honestly, there's no way I'm going to be able to lug a newborn, all of the family's laundry, AND a weeks worth of dirty diapers to the laundromat. And there's no way I'm going to be able to do laundry more than once a week. So there's no way I'll be able to cloth diaper my baby I'm really upset about this!

Is there any chance there's an option I haven't thought about? I know we could probably get enough money together to buy second hand diapers that could get us through the first through months. But how would I be able to launder them? If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#2 of 15 Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Could you get a small washing machine to use in your apartment?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 AM

Yeah the only thing I can think of is if there are washer/dryer hook ups in your apartment, you could buy a washer (you could always hang dry the diapers).

I'm sorry the service didn't work out, that really sucks.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#4 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 AM

That really sucks. However, I hated my diaper service and it actually turned me off of cloth diapers for almost a year. You could look into gDiapers, cuz the disposable part can be flushed, composted or trashed and biodegrades faster than disposable dipes.
#5 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 AM

I didn't mean to copy the pp's wording about it really sucking. But it does. It really sucks!
#6 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 02:02 AM

I agree! That does suck!

Have you looked into getting a very small, portable washing machine that you could at least wash the diapers in at home? I've seen them on ebay and craigslist pretty cheap. Then hang dry? We lived in the UK with our first and didn't have a dryer for a long time, we just had diapers hanging around everywhere to dry. You could go with flat diapers (my SIL just picked up a dozen for $16 from Green Mountain diapers) and get a few cheap covers off of Diaperswappers (I would say 6 should do you good, and you could probably get them for $4-5 each). Both of these options would wash quickly and dry fast too! Heck I have even washed diapers in a bathtub on vacation :0 (I don't think that is a long term solution though )

The other option (for acquiring diapers) would be to check out miraclediapers.org...they help individuals in need with a starter stash of diapers.

Hope those ideas help s

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#7 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 02:05 AM

I know it sounds like a horrible idea, but what about hand washing? My mother handwashed cloth diapers for twins. It would suck, but better then the expense of disposible and then the money you save on disposibles, you can save up for a small apartment washer.
#8 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 02:09 AM

Not a mama here...BUT I have a wonderful

ALL-IN-ONE Washer *AND* Dryer!

All you need is a flat floor (bathroom/kitchen so if it gets wet its okay), a regular plug in, and a water tap. Yep. Seriously. Put dirty clothes in, in 3 hours (or so) you have clean, dry clothes.

The machine is made by LG and is a special order through most places like Lowe's or Home Depot and is fairly pricely. I got the big one cause it will wash/dry king size comforters.

I love it! I love that it is simple and easy. I love that it takes like 5 gallons of water. I love that it takes a tablespoon of HE washing liquid. I honestly have not one complaint about it.

I think, if you have the room for it, it might be a great solution PLUS no more trips to the laundromat. PM me for more info if ya want or here's a link...again, I have no idea how much a diaper service costs but this might work.

http://www.lgwasherdryer.com/

OR

What about posting an ad on craig's list? Maybe there is a mama out there with extra dipes that would love to earn some extra $$$...just another idea...

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#9 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 AM

We had one of these washer/dryer combos in our NYC apartment and LOVED it....changed our life (literally). It was quite an investment, but well worth it in my opinion! We actually still have it, but are planning on selling it soon - we don't have the big one, just a small one, and the cycle lengths are quite long, but a great option for apartment living. They plug into a regular 120v outlet and are very quiet. Our landlord had no idea we had it....

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#10 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 PM

Hand washing would actually be an option and would get the dipes cleaner. You could hang them to dry and then maybe every other week, lug it all to the laundry mat and do a long wash and dry cycle. Your hubby could go with and it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I would just get prefolds and covers since you would be hand washing. Check free cycle, you can also use flannel recieving blankets as dipes, sometimes the local goodwill will have a sale and you could get a ton on the cheap...even plastic pants from walmart would do as covers.

It's up to you and what you want to take on with your new baby.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#11 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Not from your ec but what about this: http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-furnis...shing-machine/

They address the problem of wringing, you could use a salad spinner. I know alot of mommas like that for wool covers. You could do pockets and flats or flats and fleece pockets in a regular cover. Wash thoroughly and dry quickly.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#12 of 15 Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 AM

That really stinks, I am sorry that happened.

That washer/dryer seems really awesome though very spendy. I would start w/ some prefolds and covers and then just take it one day at a time to see what you can do as far as washing by hand or what not. It won't be the most convenient but over time, it will probably get easier. I hope you are able to figure something out!

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#13 of 15 Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Not in your DDC, but what about posting an ad (craigslist, or maybe a flyer at a local LLL meeting) to have somone pick up (or you could drop off) and wash the diapers for you? You were gonna pay for the diaper service anyway, there has got to be a mom in the area who has a washer/dryer and is doing her own diapers anyway and what an easy way for that person to make some $$.
Just a thought. good luck.

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#14 of 15 Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzanna View Post
Not in your DDC, but what about posting an ad (craigslist, or maybe a flyer at a local LLL meeting) to have somone pick up (or you could drop off) and wash the diapers for you? You were gonna pay for the diaper service anyway, there has got to be a mom in the area who has a washer/dryer and is doing her own diapers anyway and what an easy way for that person to make some $$.

Wow! I think that is a great idea! I would do it

#15 of 15 Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzanna View Post
This is such a great thought! I'm going to look into this. I'll let you know how it goes!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page