C-Section scheduled for Thurs :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So about a month ago I found out my baby was small and breech and have been having NS tests and U/S regularly, but all seemed normal. I have been going to the chiro for the Webster technique and trying at-home exercises to try to the the baby to turn without any success. My practice has both midwives and MDs. I had selected a midwife but had to switch to an MD when these issues arose, however, my MD is one of few in the area who will consider a natural breech birth. I had an appt this AM to do a biophysical profile (? Fancy U/S) to get a better sense if natural delivery would be safe and they discovered that my amniotic fluid is very low, so they are insisting on a c-section this week, and it looks like it'll be Thursday Not what I was hoping for but now I just hope all goes well.
#2 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 AM

Did they tell you you can get your fluid levels back up by drinking more? I wouldn't have a cesarean for low fluid. Just drink a lot of water & have another NST/BPP in a few days. There's nothing wrong with cancelling the cesarean if you don't want it.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 AM

I hope all goes well.
#4 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 12:22 AM

I would do some research on it, honestly. Low fluid sounds scary, but a C-section isn't exactly pleasant from what I hear, either. Either way, I wish you a healthy baby & the best experience possible.

-
#5 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 AM

I wish I had some advice to give you, but I don't really know anything about low fluid. Definitely do some research on it if you haven't already. I hope everything goes well!

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#6 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM

Oh, hugs to you. Were you offered an external version?

I'm in a similar situation as of one week ago...small for dates, low amnio fluid, and breech baby. Midwife told me to drink lots of water and take it easy to build fluid...important for baby to have lots of water in the pool for doing flips.

I too have been trying inversions and chiro care (Webster technique) for shifting the breech. Next step is an external version. This actually works best with smaller babies.

A note on the low fluid: it's my understanding that can fluctuate a lot depending upon your hydration, the position of the baby, who is doing the measuring, etc. So I second what a pp said...drink up and try to get another biophysical profile! If baby is healthy, why not try an external version before C section?
#7 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
Did they tell you you can get your fluid levels back up by drinking more? I wouldn't have a cesarean for low fluid. Just drink a lot of water & have another NST/BPP in a few days. There's nothing wrong with cancelling the cesarean if you don't want it.

This sounds like good advice. I'm no expert by any means, but you can count me as someone you 'know' who had a successful breech (home, and in the water!) birth with no complications. I am glad to hear that you have an md within reach who will consider attending you for a vaginal delivery. Could you talk to him about getting your fluid up?

Good luck, and keep us posted. You'll be in my thoughts.

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#8 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 AM

How far along are you? My babe has been breech for awhile and just turned on his own at 37w 1d! I had a c-sec my first pregnancy and would do just about anything to avoid it again. I agree try hydrating really well and do one more NST before you let them do the surgery.
#9 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 AM

I am in a similar boat - 37 weeks today, baby is breech. He turned once at about 34 weeks but only stayed vertex for less than a week. I am using a midwife / OB practice. They were going to try to do a version yesterday but my placenta was too high, it was blocking the path like a barricade! So now I am still doing all the spinning exercises, Webster, considering driving 90 miles for moxibustion, etc. If he doesn't flip before 40 weeks I'm looking at a scheduled c/s. Unfortunately, the only hospital around here that does vag breech is a military hospital - and homebirth midwives have no admitting privileges or OB backups anywhere. Plus they aren't covered by our insurance. THIS SUCKS! I had a natural vag birth center birth for ds1. DH and I are dealing with some pretty heavy emotions, luckily we have a great doula to help us through it all. But you are not alone in dealing with this! It sucks that this is even considered a complication, but there you have it. It is so weird wanting to have the baby ASAP on the one hand but wanting to give him as much time to turn on the other.

Good luck to you and keep us updated.
#10 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM

Hugs. I'll be excited to see pics and hear your story when you are ready! How exciting for you to get your sweet babe in your arms on Thursday! Trust what you think is the best decision for you and enjoy your baby!

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#11 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 03:47 PM

I'm sorry, hopefully you can get your fluid levels up and avoid the section. Pleas let us know how it goes.
#12 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 PM

I had a similar situation... low fluid levels which made me do the NST (kinda stressful to me because baby slept through them and I ended up at L and D TWICE) AND breech baby. Anyway, fluids change soooooo much. One day they were down to 7... measured again an hour later and they were 14... baby must have gone pee. I don't know how low your fluids are but I would check again before the C-section. On 3 different occasions, mine were first thought to be low only to have baby shift positions or empty his bladder, which changed the fluids entirely. The other day, they said my fluids were 6! A minute later, baby moved and huge pockets were found. The neonatal tech told me that it's tough with breech babies to get accurate fluid levels some times. Sorry for the long-winded response but I just wanted you to know that, from my experience, those AFI readings are not really that accurate all the time. Also, increase your fluids. I am sucking down about a gallon a day just to be on the safe side. My midwife swears increasing fluids and rest can bring the AFI right up.

treehugger.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsurf.gif

#13 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Just a couple other things I wanted to offer:
--Try contacting your local ICAN chapter and see if you can't find someone who has some input/advice.
--You can download an MP3 of the Hypnobabies CD "Turn Your Breech Baby, YES You Can" I have a doula friend that has seen great success with this. And you don't have to be doing the HypnoBabies program to listen to it.

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#14 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

I agree with this. Go for it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#15 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 PM

I just got back from an accupuncture appointment. I highly highly highly recommend it. I haven't had an u/s for about 2 months but just knew the baby was lying nearly transverse. After she put the needles in at my outer little toe nail, I laid there for a total of 30 minutes and felt a small pop and the baby move his head from my left hip to exactly where it needs to be. I am going to go back on Thursday to make sure he hasn't moved back or father but, as of right now he is in the perfect position.
#16 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone for all the advice and info and good wishes. I have been crazy thirsty so have been drinking a lot, but did not realize fluid levels could fluctuate so much, I am not sure what they were. I am going in tomorrow for another NST and U/S to check on the baby and fluid levels and if things look better I will definitely ask to give it another week or so and see what happens.

Regarding the breech - they told me there wasnt enough fluid or room to safely try an External Version at this point. I did go to an accupuncturist for insomnia (and was very impressed with the results); I asked about treatment for breech but she sais she wouldnt do it after a certain number of weeks (dont recall how many but I was beyond it). I am pretty sure he is not going to budge! My mom had all small, breech babies so I am wondering if there is some predisposition in our anatomy.

Good luck to everyone else
#17 of 24 Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 AM

And good luck to you, andielk72! Hope you're happily holding a healthy baby soon .
#18 of 24 Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andielk72 View Post
Thank you to everyone for all the advice and info and good wishes. I have been crazy thirsty so have been drinking a lot, but did not realize fluid levels could fluctuate so much, I am not sure what they were. I am going in tomorrow for another NST and U/S to check on the baby and fluid levels and if things look better I will definitely ask to give it another week or so and see what happens.

Regarding the breech - they told me there wasnt enough fluid or room to safely try an External Version at this point. I did go to an accupuncturist for insomnia (and was very impressed with the results); I asked about treatment for breech but she sais she wouldnt do it after a certain number of weeks (dont recall how many but I was beyond it). I am pretty sure he is not going to budge! My mom had all small, breech babies so I am wondering if there is some predisposition in our anatomy.

Good luck to everyone else
What was the reasoning for the week cut off??? I have known mommas to go in quite late in the pg with success....it may be a matter of finding another acupuncturist. Have you seen a Chiro that is trained in the Webster technique??? This is a very successful technique to move a breach babe ....it may take a few visits or it may only take 1....but it's worth a try!

Dana
#19 of 24 Old 03-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Wondering how you are and if everything is okay???

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#20 of 24 Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM

Hope things are going well for you. I will be right there with you on Thursday. I also have a scheduled c/s on Thursday but I know it's inavoidable at this point (for me) and at least baby will come out safely . I wish you luck and all the best. Our babes may end up with the same birthday! Can't wait to hear about you babe.

married to the love of my life : and mamma to 3 amazing kids DS1 DS2 : and DD , ::
#21 of 24 Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Update: Lucas arrived via c-section this past Thursday (Friendlymama - are you on for this upcoming Thursday?). My practice deemed it the safest route to go, and, being a pretty nervous person where medical matters are concerned (and married to an even more nervous doctor's son!) we decided it was the best thing to do. All went well, although I found the procedure a little scary and very uncomfortable, and was pretty loopy on meds for the first day of Lucas's life. Not ideal, not what I imagined, but I am mostly just glad he - and me - are doing well. We left the hospital on Sunday and have settled in at home. He is a small guy, though not as small as we expected him to be - he was 6 lbs. 14 oz. and 19" at birth, and was 6lbs.8oz. and 18" at his first pediatrician visit today (we're pretty sure he hasnt shrunk! Someone's measurement must have been off a bit). He was virtually folded in half at birth and his legs havent fully straightened yet, but they're getting there.

It was wierd to log in here and be on "the other side" - no longer pregnant!

Hope everyone else is doing well. Thanks for the advice and good wishes. Andie
#22 of 24 Old 03-03-2009, 11:12 PM

Hey, congratulations! I'm glad all went well, and you are home with your little peanut safe and sound. Lots of mamas on here posting "from the other side"-- it is inspiring for those of us who still have a ways to go!
Enjoy your babymoon!
~jenn
#23 of 24 Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 AM

Congratulations!!! Even though it isn't what you planned, you have a healthy baby and that's all that matters.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#24 of 24 Old 03-04-2009, 01:13 AM

Congratulations, and welcome Lucas!!! I hope you are feeling comfortable. Remember to take it easy, even if you feel capable of doing lots!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page