I waited pretty long to finalize it, and I'm turning it into my Midwife (CNM) at my appointment tomorrow. The birth will be at a hospital. She will likely tell me if there's anything unnecessary on there, i.e. things that they routinely don't do anyhow. I still would like some opinions on it, though. It's rather long, but I wanted to get every single point across. I don't know for sure which CNM will be there for the delivery, let alone how the nurses will be. Our wishes for Childbirth
• I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
• I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible
• I would like the lights in the room to be kept low
during my labor.
• I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
• I would like to avoid a saline lock
, but prefer this to an IV.
• I would like to continue laboring for any length of time
that we are comfortable with as long as no serious signs of distress arise.
• I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of the baby. • I do not want an internal monitor unless the baby has shown some sign of distress.
• I would prefer spontaneous rupture of membranes.
• I would prefer natural methods of induction (walking, nipple stimulation).
• I respectfully request consent to any and all procedures and medications
to be obtained before they are performed/administered.
• I would prefer to tear than to have an episiotomy.
• I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear.
• I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
• I would like the chance to touch the baby's head when it crowns.
• Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming the baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push
before beginning the pushing phase.
• I would like to have the baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery
IMMEDIATELY AFTER DELIVERY
• My husband would like to cut the cord.
• I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut
• I would like to hold the baby while I deliver the placenta
and any tissue repairs are made.
• I do not
want a routine injection of pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.
• I would like to delay all routine procedures until after our first breastfeeding session
• I plan to keep the baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of the baby can be done with the baby on my abdomen
, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
• If the baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, Justin, or some other person I designate will accompany the baby at all times.
• I would like delay bathing, and to give the baby her first bath myself
• I would prefer to hold the baby rather than have her placed under heat lamps.
• After the birth, I would prefer to be given a few moments of privacy to urinate on my own before being catheterized.
• We decline eye treatment, Vitamin K, and the Hepatitis B vaccine
• Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
• I would like to have the baby "room in" and be with me at all times
• I plan to breastfeed the baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
• I would like to meet with a Lactation Consultant. Please, NO pacifiers, bottles, formula, sugar water, or artificial nipples, etc.
• We decline circumcision in case our ultrasound proves wrong and we have a son instead of a daughter.
• My support person is my husband, and I would like him to be present during labor and/or delivery.
• I would prefer that no students, interns, residents or non-essential personnel be present
during my labor or the birth. • I would prefer all visitors to remain in the waiting room until I request for them to visit.
**seperate page below**
• Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
• If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
• I would like my husband to be present at all times if the baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
• I wish to have an epidural for anesthesia
• So I can view the birth, I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of the baby.
• If the baby is not in distress, the baby should be given to my husband immediately after birth.
• I request a double-layer suture to close the uterine incision.
***A lot of things listed that I would otherwise have bolded (i.e. breastfeeding, induction, etc), but I feel confident that the CNM practice at this hospital is in sync with my wishes on these anyhow.