Sick - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-24-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm miserable. I woke up Sat. morning feeling it coming on but it has progressively gotten worse. This morning the coughing started and my chest hurts when I cough. My kids had it last week and are at the tail end of theirs. Any energy I still had left is gone. I am so weak. I can hardly get up off the couch. No fever, thank goodness, but my head is FULL and I'm blowing my nose every hour and feel lightheaded and funky. I called my ob/mw office and they said it was safe for me to take Sudafed (rec. during the day) and Robitussin (rec. at bedtime) and to drink tons of fluid.

My dh left work for lunch to get the stuff for me at the store and he swung by Panera Bread for me because I LOVE their chicken noodle soup. It was so good.

Thankfully, I never go into labor early and have no signs of doing so this time. I need to get over this! Then I am disinfecting this house! GAH!!!

I've told my teens that we're not doing school right now because I need all their help. My 13 year old dd has taken care of the little ones all day so far, including feeing them lunch. I'm so thankful for them.
#2 of 18 Old 02-24-2009, 03:10 PM

I know how you feel. I've been sick for almost the past 2 weeks. I am FINALLY starting to feel like I'm starting to get over it. You're so lucky to have a considerate teenager. My preteen (12) whines and complains when I ask her to do ANYTHING with DD2.
#3 of 18 Old 02-24-2009, 03:55 PM

Mine started yesterday. But I have asthma as well, so most of what I've got is in my chest. Not fun. Especially since I'm scared to use my inhaler too often. All I want to do is sleep (and breathe again). And I keep thinking that if I went into labor this week, there would be no way I'd be able to get through it. It's scary.

I hope we're all feeling better and stronger soon.
#4 of 18 Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 PM

Yeah, I hope everyone is better fast! I got sick over the weekend too and I had an appointment today to get all the carpets and couches cleaned that I *had* to keep, so no rest for the weary... Done now though! I might just put my head down on the keyboard.... right..... here.....

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#5 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 AM

I'm sick right now too. Thankfully it's only a really bad sore throat and a head cold. No fever yet, and I hope it stays that way.

I need to get better soon. Sunday is my due date and I'm already 2cm and 90% effaced. I really don't want to go into labor feeling this way!

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#6 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM

I started Robutussin last night too (per my Doctor) that really helped with the cough. Now I've got swollen, sore throat and congestion (mostly in my ears, not nose). I've also had a low fever since yesterday which I'm keeping an eye on.

As much as I hate to take medicine while pregnant, I'm doing Tylenol this AM and again later if needed for the pain. I'm also drinking 1/2 pack of EmergenC, sleeping as much as I can today (yesterday I had 3 naps, totaling 5 hours!), doing honey/lemon for throat and using Simply Saline in my nose. Hopefully that will be enough to get through this.

I was having pre-labor signs earlier in the week. Now baby is still moving around, but my BH and other things have slowed or stopped completely. It's like my body is focusing on healing now, not preparing for labor. (Which is awesome, because there's no way I could push a baby out right now!).

I do hope everyone feels better soon. If anyone else has cold/flu remedies to recommend, please share!!
#7 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriemom View Post
I started Robutussin last night too (per my Doctor) that really helped with the cough. Now I've got swollen, sore throat and congestion (mostly in my ears, not nose). I've also had a low fever since yesterday which I'm keeping an eye on.

As much as I hate to take medicine while pregnant, I'm doing Tylenol this AM and again later if needed for the pain. I'm also drinking 1/2 pack of EmergenC, sleeping as much as I can today (yesterday I had 3 naps, totaling 5 hours!), doing honey/lemon for throat and using Simply Saline in my nose. Hopefully that will be enough to get through this.

I was having pre-labor signs earlier in the week. Now baby is still moving around, but my BH and other things have slowed or stopped completely. It's like my body is focusing on healing now, not preparing for labor. (Which is awesome, because there's no way I could push a baby out right now!).

I do hope everyone feels better soon. If anyone else has cold/flu remedies to recommend, please share!!
Thanks for sharing what you are doing! I didn't even think about those other things. I just can't think clearly right now. I think I'll have dh pick up some EmergenC and Simply Saline. Like you, my babe is still moving a lot but there are no labor signs. I'm so glad because I need to get healthy. The biggest thing that's bothering me is that I am ZAPPED of all energy. I feel so weak. Today is a bit better, so that is encouraging and gives me hope that maybe each day I will improve and get through this in the next week or so. I am taking naps when my little ones nap which is only once a day but last night I had a great night's sleep with no coughing and I could actually breathe. Of course when I stood up the stuffiness came right back. Weird.

I've been hearing soooo many people talk about having this same thing. It's all over the place.

Let's get well ladies!
#8 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Get well soon, mama.
#9 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Can I ask: why only a 1/2 pack of EmergenC?

I hate meds while pregnant too, but my Mother Blessing is Saturday and there is no way I'm not taking something for that - this baby is well baked already yk? I really just want to have a good time for those few hours. I haven't taken so much as a Tums or Tylenol this pregnancy, so I don't feel one bit bad about taking something at 37 weeks.

#10 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 02:31 PM

I'm only doing 1/2 pack of EmergenC because I've read different views about taking too much Vit. C in pregnancy. I'm sure a full pack would be ok. But I'm also still taking my prenatal which has C.

I know what you mean about feeling better about taking something now that the baby is already so far along. Can you imagine this in the first trimester?
#11 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot one more thing I'm doing: spicy, garlicky food. I had chicken soup two nights in a row (with a little tabasco), and today I'm having spicy, black bean taquitos and salsa for lunch.

I haven't been liking spicy food lately because of the acid reflux....but I really think it's helping with the congestion.
#12 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM

My household was sick a few weeks ago and luckily we kicked it quick and I never got it.

Here's what we did...
Veggie Capsule with 3-5 drops of Theives Oil 3 times a day
4-6 ounces of Ningxia Red (Goji Berry Juice)
Raven Oil rubbed on chest and feet
Veggie Capsule with 2 drops of Oregano Oil 3 times a day

My DP (who usually ends up in the hospital with Pneumonia or respiratory distress when he gets sick because of asthma) only had two rough days where he was congested and coughing. He still went to work the entire time when usually he would be floored and taking his inhaler constantly. This was our first time using the oils and I must say that they are more than just essential oils, they are plant medicine. I was very impressed.

I didn't get sick at all even through I was around my DP the whole time and even slept together in the same bed. I took the Ningxia Red and put four drops of Theives oil in my hot chocolate...YUM!

Hope that helps.
#13 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 03:59 PM

Thanks Jaiya! : )

I have asthma too, and haven't wanted to use my inhaler while pregnant. But have had to a few times. Having the list of oils is very helpful!
#14 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just wanted to mention what seemed to help me yesterday push off a coming sickness:
- got sleep!
- adding drops of grapefruit seed extract to juice
- extra vit c
- added fresh chopped garlic to all meals
- took garlic supplement orally as well
- drank tons of water

My sicknesses always start with a sore throat/cough, and this time (so far) it only lasted a day or so and then I did all that stuff yesterday and today and so far, I feel TONS better with no more symptoms.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#15 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Great advice! I totally agree nuwavemamma, I feel fine about taking something at 38 weeks because I haven't taken anything this whole time, not even a Tylenol. The Sudafed and Robitussen seem to be helping, but I am not taking it all day and night. Just once during the day (the Sud.) and once at bedtime (the Rob.)

Can EmergenC be purchased anywhere, like Meijer or Wal Mart?

And we LOVE garlic! :

Took a nice long nap and feeling even better. I'm thinking I'm on the upswing. Not that I'll be "back to normal" tomorrow, but I do notice a difference.
#16 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Fairiemom---Don't stress about using your inhaler! It really is safe while pregnant. And you and the baby need all the oxygen you can get, so don't hesitate to use it. I had to use mine at least once a day for alnost the whole pregnancy, especially when I had 1) bronchitis and 2) a terrible case of the flu. Anyway, Baby Mark arrived at 37 weeks, just anxious to meet us, and his lungs were TOTALLY ready! His apgars were 9 and 9. I think to be honest that the albuterol which I used was an advantage for his lungs being so perfectly ready at 37 weeks. Anyway, all that is to say: No one suffered any ill effects from it. I would not hesitate to use my inhaler for one second if an asthma attack was starting.

Being sick when you're pregnant just is the worst. Get well soon Ilovebabies!!
#17 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM

I hope everyone starts feeling better quickly! All of my little ones but one have been feeling bad this week. I have been trying to take it easy and make sure I am resting so I will be less susceptible to it. We have been eating lots of soup around here!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#18 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I'm only doing 1/2 pack of EmergenC because I've read different views about taking too much Vit. C in pregnancy. I'm sure a full pack would be ok. But I'm also still taking my prenatal which has C.

I know what you mean about feeling better about taking something now that the baby is already so far along. Can you imagine this in the first trimester?
I can because I was in my first tri this time of year when I was pregnant with my son. It was BRUTAL!!!

What have you read besides the amniotic sac-strengthening bit? (which I assume you've seen I guess)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page