Mothering Forum banner

Your intuition about birth?

1K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  dearmama22 
#1 ·
How much credit do you give yuor intuition about when/how your labor will start?

I am struggling with this a little... I feel as though it will be sooner rather than later, but I'm worried that my body is playing tricks on me at the same time. It is probably those late pregnancy hormones playing around too.

How do you feel about your gut feelings reguarding labor? Were your feelings right in the past??

#2 ·
I give it no credit at all. I struggle with the entire concept anyway though.

With DD2 I was SURE she would be born by May 28th. Positive. Absolutely. She was born June 12th. Oh yeah, I also was positive she was a boy.

With this one I felt she would be born by yesterday. Well, I'm still pregnant.

No, I don't believe in intuition at all.

#3 ·
*sigh*
I am probably just overthinking things! lol...
My Ds was born a week late and I was so sure Dd would be late too. She came 8 days early and was born very quickly.

It is just hard to not know what in the world to expect. I know that's what it's all about though...

I think I need to relax and meditate, lol! It'll happen when the time is right.

#4 ·
I normally trust my intution, but with pg hormones and so desperately wanting to be "done"... well, those things can interfere with that intuition so I don't really trust it. I think my mind plays tricks on me when I get this close and what I'm feeling is not really intuition. KWIM? That's just me though.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebabies View Post
I normally trust my intution, but with pg hormones and so desperately wanting to be "done"... well, those things can interfere with that intuition so I don't really trust it. I think my mind plays tricks on me when I get this close and what I'm feeling is not really intuition. KWIM? That's just me though.
I know what you mean... I wonder about that too. I just think that last time I didn't trust my intuition and we had a very fast, somewhat hectic birth (although a beautiful homebirth).

I just want to be a little more prepared this time.

#7 ·
I don't put much stock in intuition, though it does seem odd that a few of the women on here were *sure* they were going to go early, and then they did!

I am telling everyone that I'll be 10 days late. But I think it's just trying to set myself up to not be "done" so soon more than intuition. That's working, at least! I'm perfectly content to be 39w w/ no end in sight.

#8 ·
I don't have a sharp sense of when at all. I guess probably right around my EDD, since I woke up the morning of my son's EDD and went straight into labor, but....

I do feel like this is going to be a lot faster and more intense than last time, but that I'll feel much better in the immediate PP than I did after my son was born...

#9 ·
While i agree that any intuition now is "off" just based on plain desperation and hopeful thinking... I did strongly believe at the beginning that i was due a few weeks earlier than my due date.

I'm at the very end of March so we'll see... i'm trying to stay focused on the end of march and that i'm wrong. because if i am wrong.. hoping for an early labor is going to kill me ! LOL.

#10 ·
I have no "Intuition" about that stuff. But my body sure does send some clear signals. If I listen quietly, I can actually hear those signals, and then that's pretty cool. This month, when Mark arrived, I was able to hear the whispers in the days beforehand, and so I rested, ate extra, nested suddenly, and just, well, waited. I hadn't had a single contraction until labor just STARTED, but the days before, I knew something was changing. It was cool. Just cool.

#12 ·
I asked my Mother who had five children what she thought and she said that it is so hard because each birth was so different...I have no idea when this is going to happen for me but that has always been me, I have lots of insight for other people but I never have that for myself...it is like I am too close to it.

#13 ·
I had a feeling DS would come early, but I was wrong about how early. I thought I would have him at 38 weeks, he was born at 36! This time I've been assuming that the baby will be early too (which is why even though I'm not due until April I like to hang out with you guys!) but I'm not sure I have any intuition about it. I'm 34 weeks, contracting like crazy, and already dilating, but that could mean nothing in the long run because lots of women do that!

#16 ·
Yeah...I love the idea of intuition but, for me, it is often difficult to differenciate between my intuition and my hopes. That said, with DD, I felt like she would be late and she was (8 days)...I also felt very strongly that she was a girl when everyone else was saying she was a boy. But, at the time, I felt totally confused as was wondering if it was intuition or just hopeful thinking (on the girl part - i really wanted a girl!).

This baby - I feel like he is a boy and that I will be closer to my due date - sometime between the 15th and 19th...but who knows! We'll see.

#17 ·
I strongly believe in intuition but I also know that my head can mess with what I am feeling and confuse me. When it comes to labor, I don't trust my feelings. My hormones are all over the place right now and with all the other things that are going on in my life I am not able to tune in to myself the way I would need to. That said, I feel strongly that I will be early and that this baby is a girl

#18 ·
DD's original LMP formula EDD was something like November 7th or 8th, but she didn't come until December 5th. She ended up being a 43 weeker, so considering that ment my adjusted EDD would have been November 14th, I'm not counting on an on-time baby this week (or even next week) at all. I'd *like* a newborn in my arms some time soon, but honestly, an April baby wouldn't surprise me in the least if this one's another 43 weeker.

#19 ·
I am very impatient, so I think my impatience in the situation messes with my intuition. I have a feeling she will either be a few days early, or a few days late.
However, the part of me that thinks she may be early is probably just wishful thinking b/c I am burnt out on being this pregnant & still having to go to my stressful job.

#20 ·
I am with so many of you other mama's on here.

I struggle with knowing what is my intuition and the difference between just wishful thinking or over thinking things. So many times I have said " oh, maybe tonight will be the night." but I think that is just me HOPING that tonight would be the night, I don't know if its because I truly felt something.

I have no real intiution I don't think about when I will go into labor. I think " today will be the day" almost every day.

#21 ·
None. I had envisioned having a night birth with my last dd, so much that it was a shock to have daylight in the room during labor- it totally inhibited me and I hadn't "planned" on it to the point that I didn't have heavy drapes to block the light or anything. I thought both girls were boys. I've had ten dreams or so of unassisted births of a boy in my last pg and that didn't happen (although they were awesome dreams that I think pointed to empowerment). I think I might go early this time, but I'm probably just setting myself up for a very sad EDD day because of it. So in a nutshell, no credence to my "intuitions" here. I tend to think I overthink instead of it really being intuition anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.