Cervix Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always been told I have a cervix that's really far back, even pre-preg., but no one's ever told me if it's a good thing or bad. My MW is still making the comment every time they do an internal, but I'm too busy grimacing in pain to ask her what it means.

I'm imagining that with the internal checks being as painful as they are now (feels like the MWs have to jam their hands in there all the way to their elbows to feel anything), they're going to be even more miserable during labor. I've already asked to keep internal checks to a minimum because I'm scared of how painful they're going to get. They're saying I'm soft and shortening, and that they can feel the baby's head. I'm assuming if it was a really bad thing, they would have mentioned it more than they already have, but I'm just curious.

I can't seem to word it correctly enough on Google to get good search results. Has anyone else had issues with a cervix that was far back? Does it effect labor or birth any differently?

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Probably depends on how far it moves forward during labour. The only thing I can think of is that if it doesn't move as far forward, it might make pushing take a little longer.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 7 Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 PM

I have a posterior cervix as well, it helps if I put my fists under my lower back and tilt my pelvis up when I get checked - have you tried that? It didn't affect my labor with my sons and once I started to dilate it moved down. Mine is already moved down from where it was a few weeks ago as I've started to dilate.
#4 of 7 Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 PM

my MW and I discussed this today (though I haven't had an internal yet). Essentially the cervix needs to kind of move forward during labor and dilate around the head - that's why sometimes you hear about women w/ anterior lips - the cervix didn't move all the way forward.

my MW said that when I go into labor, I should do some lunges by putting one leg up on the bed at a time, and that helps move the cervix forward. You can also do the same thing lying down. Lie on one side, leave the bottom leg straight and pull the top leg so you are knee to chest.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#5 of 7 Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

hillaryjudd - That's good to know. I will try that if they need another internal exam next week.

DomerJen - Thanks for the lunge advice. I will most definitely try that. I'm not dilating yet, so maybe if I start the lunges now, it'll encourage things along. Will also plan on doing those during labor.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 7 Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 AM

My cervix is way back there, and honestly, it hasn't made birth any different. I've never had a lip, and my pushing phase is always less than an hour of really pushing, dh says usually about half an hour (cause I am in lala land at that point lol)

I also have a really tilted uterus, so you'd think that affects things but it doesn't.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#7 of 7 Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 PM

That is normal. They are just saying that most likely because when it moves forward it is a sign your body is getting ready but that will happen during labor if not before. I would make sure baby's head is engaged before doing lunges. It sounds like they have already told you it might be but you might want to check anyway.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page