Scary night at the ER with my 18 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is off topic but I want to share this with my due date club because I feel close to you all. I hope it doesn't get moved. And just to make it "pregnancy" related, things did start happening last night--tons of cervix pain and pressure probably due to stress and holding my little ones a lot while pacing the hall (dh and I traded off a lot). Very uncomfortable today too. Not sure I'll make it to my due date based on past experience.

Anyway, around 8pm last night our 18 month old fell down our basement stairs. We never, ever, ever leave that door open, and we don't know if our 3year old figured out the child safety lock (because when we ran down there she was already down there playing) or if somehow everyone in the family missed seeing the door open (which I can't imagine because we are all sooooo careful about this ). We have wood stairs with no side walls and a concrete floor. I'll leave out the details, but it was the scariest moment in a parent's life and one I hope I never repeat again. We were at the ER until 1am.

Warning--"you might possibly be offended if you're not a Christian"-part coming up: We immediately all layed hands on him and prayed over him. We felt God's presence and I know that I know that I know that God healed him. Within less than an hour he completely normalized. They didn't even think it was necessary at the ER to do an x-ray or cat scan because of how quickly he recovered and the fact that he exhibited no symptoms related to concusion or anything worse. And since we were at the ER for 4 hours, they had plenty of time to observe him while we waited. They sent us home with minor head injury paperwork (signs of things to look out for) and that was that.

He's perfectly fine today--as he was an hour after it happened last night. He's completely his normal self. I have been thanking God profusely for healing him ever since because it could have turned out so differently.

So needless to say... I need a few days to re-group and keep an eye on my little man before I go into labor! I am in no hurry! Things are happening though but I still don't think I'll go until next week, which is okay with me right now. I just need a few days to observe my son and be sure that nothing pops up that might be of concern. We have a follow up with our Ped. tomorrow.

And WOW, I hop on here for the first time since yesterday evening and there are like 4 new baby announcements!!! Geesh!!! That's awesome!! :: Congrats mammas!!!!

Who thinks they're next??
#2 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, momma! I had a similar experience about 3 weeks ago with my 2 year old and the ER. The Lord healed her as well. Hugs.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#3 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM

So glad all is welL! what a scary sight~ I so understand & it gets no easier as they get older~ I will never forget the sight of my truck with my 16yo & her BF still stuck in the car!

s
Melissa
#4 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh dear. How scary. That is awful. I can't imagine how scary that must've been w/concrete b/c my ds fell down our carpeted stairs (from the top) standing backwards at the time, and I was just getting off the toilet pants down and couldn't stop it before it happened. Even though I knew immediately that he was ok physically, I was S.C.A.R.E.D to say the least hearing him go all the way down and lay there. Its an awful feeling. I am so glad he is doing ok now, and you can be relieved enough to get yourself ok and ready for labor!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#5 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 PM

How scary! I am glad to hear all is well now. Get some rest and cuddle with that little guy!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#6 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 PM

Hugs mama!! That is one of my worst fears in the house we currently live in...none of our stairs are carpeted and there is concrete at the bottom of the basement stairs. And we just put up some rails so that there isn't a gap anymore on one side. I'm glad to hear everything is well and that the Lord healed him! I hope that your new LO waits a few days before coming...

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#7 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post
Hugs mama!! That is one of my worst fears in the house we currently live in...none of our stairs are carpeted and there is concrete at the bottom of the basement stairs. And we just put up some rails so that there isn't a gap anymore on one side. I'm glad to hear everything is well and that the Lord healed him! I hope that your new LO waits a few days before coming...
Well, my husband is at Lowe's as I type this because we're going to put walls up on both sides and a carpet runner down the stairs (I should clarify that there is some wall when you first go down just enough for the first two stairs and then nothing). We're also getting a carpet remnant to put at the very bottom of the stairs and will probably put a gate down there too since we'll have walls to hook it to. We're going to put also put a lock up high on the door that is out of reach of our 3 year old. I can't get the image out of my mind of how he looked when I picked him up. I was so scared beyond belief and started to hyperventilate. My dh was trying to take over and get me calm but I was completely freaked out. Out of all of our children, and two them now in their teens, we've never dealt with a head injury like that. As a matter of fact, my two teens have never been to the ER! Never! But my 18 month old has been twice already! <sigh>

I still feel out of sorts. Just still worried and watching ds closely. I know he's healed though but I'm still watching. He's been his normal self all day. If it weren't for the scrape on the side of his face, you'd never know anything happened! I am praising God.
#8 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebabies View Post
Well, my husband is at Lowe's as I type this because we're going to put walls up on both sides and a carpet runner down the stairs (I should clarify that there is some wall when you first go down just enough for the first two stairs and then nothing). We're also getting a carpet remnant to put at the very bottom of the stairs and will probably put a gate down there too since we'll have walls to hook it to. We're going to put also put a lock up high on the door that is out of reach of our 3 year old. I can't get the image out of my mind of how he looked when I picked him up. I was so scared beyond belief and started to hyperventilate. My dh was trying to take over and get me calm but I was completely freaked out. Out of all of our children, and two them now in their teens, we've never dealt with a head injury like that. As a matter of fact, my two teens have never been to the ER! Never! But my 18 month old has been twice already! <sigh>

I still feel out of sorts. Just still worried and watching ds closely. I know he's healed though but I'm still watching. He's been his normal self all day. If it weren't for the scrape on the side of his face, you'd never know anything happened! I am praising God.
It's so scary! My dd fell down stairs when she was 18 months, but they were carpeted and she fell very slowly and had no injuries...but I watched the whole thing and could nothing to stop it. I was so scared and freaking out too...dh took over for me because me being so scared was scaring dd but she was fine. I've been freaked out about stairs since...and now that we have non carpeted stairs and concrete involved it's been worse. Dh gets on my case about it but I know that it could seriously injure them if they were to fall. I'm SO glad your son was healed! I'm sure I'd still be watching too...but keep believing in the healing too!

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#9 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm so glad your little one is all right! Stairs can really be scary; we are in a new house since we had our last baby, so you've got me thinking about how to keep the basement off limits! But, I know that even with the best childproofing, accidents can happen . . . hope the little guy gets some rest and cuddling, although it is hard to slow them down too much at that age!
#10 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goniopal View Post
. . . hope the little guy gets some rest and cuddling, although it is hard to slow them down too much at that age!
Yes, this is so true! My little guy has been running around like crazy all day and of course I'm super paranoid right now. I don't want any bumps on his head, at least for a few days because I want him to completely heal, yk? And we have hard wood floors! UGH!
#11 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 PM

That must have been so scary! I'm so sorry that happened to you and your LO. That's amazing and wonderful that he's doing so well now.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#12 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 PM

what a scary evening but i have to say that's an awesome healing story!! glad to hear that he's doing well today.

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#13 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 AM

I'm glad he recovered so quickly. What a scary thing for a mommy.
#14 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 11:37 AM

I'm so glad that your child is okay. What a frightening experience. I was in a bad accident in the home when I was 9 months old and my mom still gets tears in her eyes when she talks about it. Who knows why or how these things happen when we are all so careful.

BTW- the laying on of hands is a well established practice in several faiths. I'm not a Christian myself, but I still lay on hands and pray when my kids are sick or hurt. There is no better way to channel god's energy or love.
#15 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Had a follow up visit today with Ped. and even she was amazed!! She couldn't believe that he has no bruising (except for a bump on his head that is now almost gone!) and had no other symptoms AT ALL! She said that Someone was definitely watching over him. I know Jesus healed him. She said if any problems were to pop up, it would almost always be in the first 24-36 hours, which we have now passed up. She does not feel we have anything further to be worry about. Especially after seeing how perfectly normal he is still acting, tantrums and all!

Still struggling with the image in my mind of how he looked when I first picked him up. Maybe remembering that image will help me to always appreciate the blessing that my children are and to be thankful for God's healing. It will also help me to remember to be extra, extra cautious, although I can't imagine being more careful than we already are!

I still hope to not go into labor until after this weeknd. On Monday though, it's a go! Now if the baby would just cooperate!
#16 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 PM

I am so glad that your child is ok. Georgia unbuckled the belt in the shopping cart and fell out on Monday. She fell right in front of me and right on her butt so it scared her more than hurt her but I was still a mess. I am glad that your son is fine and you are doing ok too.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#17 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Wow, what a scare! I'm so glad to hear that he was okay! And that he continues to show no signs of injury.

: Stay in just a few more days, Baby!

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page