Worried. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am now 41 weeks & 4 days... 11 days past my "due date". I am incredibly sore almost constantly (hips & pelvis). Even though I'm on Short-Term Disability now from work, I can't sleep well at all b/c of constantly having to flip from one side of my body to the other, and turning over hurts pretty badly too.

Last time I was checked, which was over a week ago, I was still only slightly over 1cm dilated, and not at all effaced. I had an ultrasound last week, and an NST this week, which went well. I have another NST for this Thursday.

I have had contractions on & off for a couple of weeks now. They nearly always occur around 2am or so, and recur two or three times over a couple of hours. Then they just stop. It doesn't happen every night, either. It could be two nights in a row, and then I'll go three or four days without anything. I didn't have anything at all last night.

I'm really worried. If something doesn't happen before Saturday, my Midwife is going to induce me that morning. This is what I've been trying to avoid the whole time. She will start me out with cervidil, but if that doesn't work after several hours it's on to a small dose of pitocin. If I have to get pitocin, I fear it will be too painful without an epidural. I am afraid that if I am induced, I won't be able to get up and walk around like I would have been, and especially not labor in the tub. More than anything, I am sooo fearful of the whole thing leading to a c-section.

I know that technically going beyond 42 weeks can be safe, but my husband is adamant that he does not want me to wait beyond that time, based on what the Midwife has said. I really like and trust my Midwife a lot, and she knows that an induction is the last thing I want, but based on hospital policy she has to go ahead and induce me at 42 weeks, or I'll have to find another care provider.

I've tried EVERYTHING to get labor started: sex, nipple stimulation, accupressure, massage, walking, stretching, bouncing on the birth ball, EPO, spicy food, pineapple, etc. Nothing is working.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 PM

s:

Castor oil? I threw it up but it worked anyway with my second pregnancy.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Hi...I am not in your ddc but I just wanted to ask if you have tried reflexology....it didn't work the first time but we tried again with some Clary Sage oil and I went into labor that evening. I see you tried accupressure but have you tried accupuncture....it worked for my SIL for her 4th. She also used castor oil for her 3rd child but she said she wouldn't do it again. I was spared the details.

I was in the same boat...if I had went to 42 weeks I would have had to transfer care to an OB. I was 41 weeks and not dilated at ALL...not even soft....and reflexology worked much to my suprise...he was definitely ready at a little over 10lbs.!

's
Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 PM

I hope your little one comes before they induce you, and/or that you can convince your DH and MW to wait a while longer... and if you can't avoid it, hopefully an induction will go smoothly for you... they don't always go horribly.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:17 PM

Hugs.

oh and I read on a midwife thread that walking the curb can help open the pelvis...like one foot on the curb and one foot on the street.

I feel for you. blessings.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM

If there's no way you can avoid hospital induction, then I would do caster oil a day or 2 before. If you're not favorable for induction, then neither is going to work, but it may be worth trying something more natural first. Are you having a HB if things go before 42 weeks?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:59 PM

Hey Luna, don't know if you remember me from TTC, but I just wanted to let you know that I had a premature rupture of membranes (3.5weeks early). .It was a high tear in the amniotic sac so I was just "leaking" small amounts of amniotic fluid. All this to say that my midwife had to induce me due to risk of infection. I was given an IV drip of oxytocin and I laboured and delivered with no pain meds. My midwife told me to be prepared because induction can be more painful. But to tell you the truth, since it was my first I had nothing to compare it to and I found myself realizing that this was normal to me.
Don't stress (induced or not, stress will make it harder)...it is totally possible to have a med-free induced birth! Good Luck...you must be getting so excited!!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM

mama

I'm lurking from the April ddc, but had to post w/ some

My midwives really encourage castor oil prior to a medical induction... 2 tablespoons of castor oil blended in to a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Not in your ddc but wanted to say that cervical changes don't neccessarily mean anything. I went from zero dialated and less than 50% effaced to baby in 6 hours. I had no early labor symptoms or any clue that labor was starting. So, try not to stress much...it could still happen and totally unexpectedly.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First I'd say, do what you feel is best for you. but, if I were in your shoes with that kind of pressure with a first baby, I would try in order:
1. acupuncture, reflexology - sometimes at one place they'd offer all.
2. enema
3.castor oil (that pb choc shake doesn't sound SO bad)

and all starting now, probably...just to be safe with the time you're dealing with.
Also, though, don't worry. At 42 wks induction, your body will probably be more ready than at 41 to take it well and go on maybe fine without pit or a low dose of it where you'll be ok without meds.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 03-18-2009, 05:48 PM

: I am only 5 days over but this is my fear too :
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM

I understand your fear too. I was there with my first 2 births. Induced with #1 cervidil then pit. I did go without and epi but it was very hard. I think they gave me too much pit so I would be talking about that with the mw if it were me. With #2 I had a homebirth but was so worried about going over we started nipple stim a couple days before my due date. We were doing it all the time. We were literally sitting on the couch watching TV while dh stimulated them. It is pretty funny looking back on it now. I went into labor on my EDD. Keep trying!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 PM

Hi! I'm also not in your ddc , I'm from April, but..I used to lurk on TTC all the time & have been pulling for you.

I just wanted to add to what others have said, pitocin doesn't have to be too bad. My mom was induced 4 times with full pitocin inductions and never had any pain meds. I also had pitocin with my first and didn't find it worse than my second, where I had no pitocin. It may take only a little & then they may back off on it too. I hope you avoid induction, but if you don't, it can be doable.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 PM

Me too, almost the exact same post, same due date, I've dilated more but fat lot of good that does.

what else can we do? I've done it all too, not the castor oil and cohosh, just not in my realm of comfort, they aren't regulated and can't be taken back. We've started vigorous cervical massage.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone!

To explain a bit further, I have been planning a hospital birth all along, but it's with a Certified Nurse Midwife. I would have loved to have a home birth, but I cannot afford one at this time unless unassisted, which DH would be totally against. The hospital birth with a CNM is covered 100% - not even a single copay or deductible.

Anyway, as for Castor oil, I'm afraid it would make me vomit rather than do much else. I did buy some Borage oil capsules today, though, so I'm thinking since those are more potent than Evening Primrose, maybe it will get things moving. I've taken three capsules orally, and from what I read online you can insert 4-8 of them vaginally too. I also bought some fiber laxative pills, so I took a couple of those to help clean me out. LOL.

I can't afford acupuncture, etc. Long story, but DH's hours have been cut way down at work due to the economy, and I'm on maternity leave, but I won't get paid as much as I usually do.

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas & reassurance. I guess I just felt rather depressed at the idea of being induced. I feel like I should be able to trust my body do its thing on its own, and I feel like if I have to feel induced I will have let myself down... like I will be less of a woman or something. Obviously that's not true, but I feel like after all the talk I've done to friends, family, and coworkers about how I want everything to be 100% natural, I will be a "failure" in their eyes and just prove to them that it couldn't be done.

Anyway, I'm going to try some more nipple stim tonight, drink tons of water to get the fiber down, bounce on my ball some more, etc.

-
Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess you've got yourself another full time job, now, huh? Labor inducer. Get on with it and let us know how your doing!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

^LOL.

I have another NST later today, and I am seriously considering asking my MW to go ahead and sweep my membranes at this point. I know it may not do much of anything, but I would rather go ahead and take a risk with that than risk being induced on Saturday. This babe does not want to leave the womb.

-
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 AM

Ugh, that sucks. I kept noticing your name when we were both posting in the "baby's not here" thread. I delivered at 41 weeks and 1 day and I know several people who delivered between 10 and 15 days late. My midwife was also willing to fudge my dates by a few days if I went way overdue, because I had plenty of amniotic fluid and my cycles had been somewhat irregular.

If it's any comfort, I had a midwife appointment 8 hours before my baby was born and was told my cervix is posterior and therefore probably not dilated (midwife could not reach it) and I am not in labor, even though I had been having slight contractions on and off for about 18 hours. I had no signs that the baby was coming, like bloody show or mucous plug.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

^ That's good to know. I just wonder if it will happen that way for me or not. I have been 1cm dilated for WEEKS now, but haven't actually been checked for about a week-and-a-half now. I wasn't effaced at all last time she checked, though.

-
Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Luna~

I have been thinking about you! I know that you will do great no matter what! I have had my membranes sweept if you body is ready it really does not feel any worse than an internal. I have also been induced with 3 of my 6 each time for leaking amnio fluid. Those were harder than my non-induced but I was able to go drug free with each one(so it can be done!) I wish there was amagic wand we could wave & send you into labor! Something that Mavis told me the day before I had Seth was I think important to the whole labor. She & I were talking about my fears: MY DH's fear of Not getting to nthe hospital on time, not getting antiobiorics for the GBS+, my lack of a doula for the first time. She reassured me that none of that was life or death & that if that is all that was holding me back to let it go! there was nothing I could do at that point in the game except try to get there on time by leaving ASAP I thought I was in labor. She really helped calm me(which was saying alot since I thought for sure I was in labor that day 2/12) I found inner peace, got some sleep & out he flew the next am~ Could you MIL have something to do with any extra stressors?

My wish for you is to find inner peace & for a speedy & safe delivery!

Blessings!
Melissa
Old 03-19-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

MIL actually left two days ago (FINALLY). It took inviting my mom over to my house to get her to leave b/c we only have one guest bed. LOL. So my mom stayed one night, and she treated me to a manicure & pedicure, and even gave me a foot & leg massage (she used to be a massage therapist). It was really nice, but still no labor.

Today will be my first day since last Friday that I will be completely by myself while DH is at work. Maybe that will help relax me a bit. I plan on trying to catch up on sleep, working w/my birth ball, and listening to a meditation CD. Who knows if it will help, but it's worth a try at least. A friend of mine pointed out to me that with tomorrow being the Spring Equinox, maybe the baby is waiting for that.

-
Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
Today will be my first day since last Friday that I will be completely by myself while DH is at work. Maybe that will help relax me a bit. I plan on trying to catch up on sleep, working w/my birth ball, and listening to a meditation CD. Who knows if it will help, but it's worth a try at least. A friend of mine pointed out to me that with tomorrow being the Spring Equinox, maybe the baby is waiting for that.
It's not really funny Luna, but i was thinking the same thing about equinox. I asked dh to stay home today, which we've never done. I've always called him from work when contractions were regular and 5 minutes apart, but I thought if he was home to help with kids I could just 'catch up on sleep, work with the birth ball and listen to my CD'
happy birthing vibes...

Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
MIL actually left two days ago (FINALLY). It took inviting my mom over to my house to get her to leave b/c we only have one guest bed. LOL. So my mom stayed one night, and she treated me to a manicure & pedicure, and even gave me a foot & leg massage (she used to be a massage therapist). It was really nice, but still no labor.

Luna, not having a private space to get down to work in could have delayed things for sure. My fingers are crossed for you. Besides the ball have you looked at other techniques for fetal positioning? That also came to mind. Do you know what position the baby is in? And as far as castor oil and puking, I haven't done castor oil, but I can tell you that puking opens one sphincter and frequently will open the others too, so I wouldn't fear puking - it might be helpful at this point.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
Old 03-19-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
It's not really funny Luna, but i was thinking the same thing about equinox. I asked dh to stay home today, which we've never done. I've always called him from work when contractions were regular and 5 minutes apart, but I thought if he was home to help with kids I could just 'catch up on sleep, work with the birth ball and listen to my CD'
happy birthing vibes...
Good luck to you, also! I know we had the same EDD, so I completely understand how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post
Luna, not having a private space to get down to work in could have delayed things for sure. My fingers are crossed for you. Besides the ball have you looked at other techniques for fetal positioning? That also came to mind. Do you know what position the baby is in? And as far as castor oil and puking, I haven't done castor oil, but I can tell you that puking opens one sphincter and frequently will open the others too, so I wouldn't fear puking - it might be helpful at this point.

Actually, she is in perfect position now & has been for at least a week. We had an ultrasound last Friday & she was head down, face down. I don't know what's still holding her up.

Anyway, had my second NST today, and things were fine as far as baby goes. I was still only 1cm today, and not effaced. My MW went ahead and stripped my membranes, and it didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it was. Maybe I just have a high pain tolerance, but I've had cramps worse than that before & all I did to get through it was just breathe. I am bleeding a little, but she said it's normal as long as I don't soak through a pad in an hour. She said it would be like a very light period. I wanted to go ahead and get my membranes stripped, even if nothing comes of it, simply because it's still less risky than the other non-natural induction methods.

Worst case scenario, if I have to go in Saturday morning to be induced, they will start me off with the balloon catheter. I will be consenting to anything less invasive/risky than Pitocin before I go that route. That will be a last resort for me. They said if I have to get Pitocin, I'll need the continuous monitoring, thus won't be able to use the labor tub. At least they will still let me use the birth ball, though, and stand up, etc.

-
Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
My MW went ahead and stripped my membranes, and it didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it was. Maybe I just have a high pain tolerance, but I've had cramps worse than that before & all I did to get through it was just breathe.
I never found sweeps to be much more painful than a regular internal exam. Discomfort, yes. But nothing I'd qualify as painful.

I know you mentioned not wanting to go the castor oil route and thinking you'd just throw it up. I don't think it's a bad thing. I threw it up within a few minutes of taking it during my last pregnancy and went on to have my son that day. I had none of the nasty effects some women report and imo, it's still preferable than a hospital induction.

I was induced with my first and the threat of induction was weighting on me very heavily with my second (had him two days before my scheduled induction, at 41w5d, thanks to the castor oil). I was basically ready to do anything to avoid being induced again. I got weekly sweeps starting at 37 weeks, started taking EPO vaginally at the same time and in the end castor oil did the trick.

HTH!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
My MW went ahead and stripped my membranes, and it didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it was.
I'm such a chicken, that instead of a sweep, I asked for a vigorous cervical massage.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 PM

Luna, just out of curiousity, how long did your mom & grandma's pregnancies go? Some women just got a bit longer. Also, average first time mom's have a pregnancy length of 41 weeks 3 days. I wish medical providers weren't so paranoid & freaked out over something that's not even really overdue. They shouldn't even be thinking of NST's and stuff until after 42 weeks. *sigh* I know that doesn't really help you, but it bugs me how many women are stressed by this stuff for no reason.

Stress can contribute to you not going into labour. Personally, I'd go have a nice long bath/shower (whichever you prefer), spend some time relaxing & talking to your baby, let her know that it's safe to come out and you really want to meet her.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Malva - yeah, still not sure about the castor oil, but I will consider it.

Multimomma - isn't that the same thing?

Devaskyla - I have no idea about my grandma's pregnancies. She passed away several years ago, and my mom wouldn't know either. As for my mom, I am her only child & I was born 3 days late. This baby is already 12 days late.

Well, I've had some cramping and contractions since the sweep, but nothing entirely consistent yet. It seems they mostly happen when I'm lying down on my side. I have a feeling it might just do the trick, though.

-
Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Multimomma - isn't that the same thing?
Nope, with a sweep they actually insert a finger between the uterus and bag of waters, with a cervical massage, they just stick to rubbing the cervix and trying to flatten it out some. Which was enough for me

However, I was getting online to post that I had some bright red blood, so that's a positive sign. Irregular contractions, which is better than none at all...right?

My mom AND my MIL both had early, tiny babies (like less than seven lbs, so i guess not too tiny, but my smallest was 7.5, and my biggest 11lbs), so I have no idea where these late, big babies come from. It's ridiculous that baby #8 is 12 days past my due date.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 PM

My DD isn't until Sunday, but I feel the pressure already- if he's not out by 42 weeks, I have to get an IV and be induced! UGH! I am SO scared of that.

I really hope you go into labor tonight! I'll be sending good vibes!

User Tag List