Contractions with no pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been up all night with very regular contractions, but really no pain. I think they're just BH, but I never get so many that they wake me up at night! Could this be the start of labor, or am I just overly anxious? I have no other symptoms (haven't lost my plug, no back pain), although my midwife did say last week that I'm 1cm and 80% and could go at anytime. I'm not due for another 8 days, but this is weird and I haven't felt like this at all this pregnancy, so now I'm wondering if baby is on the way!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#2 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 AM

That sounds just like how my labor started. I had painless contractions for half the night, which then stopped at around 4AM. I woke up at 9 and they picked up again about an hour later, and remained regular (every 12 to 15 minutes) throughout the day. My midwife came to check me at 4PM and said my cervix was posterior, she couldn't tell how dilated I was, and I was likely not in labor. After dinner I got into the bathtub and stayed there for over an hour. The contractions went to 8 minutes apart and got slightly more painful, to the point where I sometimes had to make a noise through them. When I got out of the tub the pain got a bit more intense, but not intolerable. Called the midwife at 10:30 to ask her to come and at least determine whether I was really in labor, since the contractions were 5 min apart but still not what I'd call painful. She got there at 11, I was 6cm dilated, I got into the pool and the baby was out at 12:16!

So... it's possible!!! Good luck!

edited to add that I also didn't lose my plug, had no discharge, no other warning signs....
#3 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 PM
JMJ

To contrast that experience, I've been having sometimes regular, sometimes irregular painless contractions for about 2 weeks now with no lost mucus plug and no baby. One night, they averaged about 5 minutes apart for 2 hours, and I called my midwife. She asked how long my contractions were, and I said 20-30 seconds. She said that when it was real labor, it would be 60 seconds. Good luck, mamma. I hope that your experience is closer to Erdbeer's than mine.
#4 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Not in your DDC, but just from my reading, you CAN have painless [real] contractions .

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 12:55 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, my contractions were usually about a minute to a minute and 15 seconds...
#6 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 12:58 PM

I've been having painless contractions lasting about a minute every 5-10 minutes for the past week. They pick up for awhile, go away, etc. I lost a lot of bloody mucous so I'm hoping it will eventually mean something.
#7 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayJennie View Post
I've been up all night with very regular contractions, but really no pain. I think they're just BH, but I never get so many that they wake me up at night! Could this be the start of labor, or am I just overly anxious? I have no other symptoms (haven't lost my plug, no back pain), although my midwife did say last week that I'm 1cm and 80% and could go at anytime. I'm not due for another 8 days, but this is weird and I haven't felt like this at all this pregnancy, so now I'm wondering if baby is on the way!
Your experience last night sounded just like mine! Up until last night there had been no change in what I was feeling since week 30. No signs of labor whatsoever. Then around 10pm, I suddenly started getting intense, though painless contractions. They were much stronger than anything else I experienced. They continued for 2 hours until I finally went to bed. I did sleep, but I was near consciousness for most of the night, aware that my uterus was continuing to contract. At 5am I woke up with an especially strong contraction, and I just lay there for another hour feeling them. They were pretty long (1.5 tp 2 minutes, I am guessing), with definite peaks and valleys. I got up to use the bathroom and get a drink of water, and my husband gave me a foot rub. I went back to sleep after that and slept deeply. They seemed to have stopped, though they returned for a time after I woke up a few hours later. I've been very busy nesting all day long, cooking up a storm, and the contractions seem to calm when I am moving around a lot... Oh, and the baby has been moving around like crazy!

So, who knows what will happen?! I'm due on the 24th. All I know is that this is a definite change, something new, finally!

Best wishes!
#8 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM

I get these all the time... sooo frustrating!
#9 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the replies! I'm still in the same situation...contractions pretty regularly, but little to no pain. I got some more sleep this morning, then went out and walked the dog with my husband to see if it would get anything moving. I've continued feeling the exact same way though. I guess we'll just wait it out. I hope things pick up!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#10 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 04:37 PM

It's enough to drive anyone crazy! lol
#11 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 04:51 PM

It defintely can be labor if no matter what you do they are still regular. I have had a painless labor. It does happen!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#12 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 PM

I had those the Tuesday evening/night before I had my baby. They stopped Wednesday and painful contractions started at 1am Thursday morning.

Try to sleep!

mom to DD 3/09
#13 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 PM

Not in your DDC either, but with my last birth I didn't feel any pain until I was around 8 cm. I had mild contractions all day, but didn't think anything of it.

Good luck! Sending good birthing vibes your way!

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page