Postpartum bleeding TMI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-19-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't remember how it went with my son, but this time around, I seem to be a lot more "gushy" with the postpartum bleeding. I had my daughter via c-section 9 days ago and still am passing a few clots (usually no bigger than a quarter) daily, and also experience several gushes of blood-- it almost feels like I'm peeing myself without the peeing sensation-- just liquid coming out. This usually happens when I stand up, or occasionally when I'm lying flat on my back. When it happens, I have to immediately go change my pad because it's soaked through. The blood is still bright red, but usually quite liquid-y. It happens 3-4 times a day. I feel fine, keep hydrated, etc. I think they said I lost 500mL of blood during the c-section, so I don't think there was any particular cause during surgery for anything. Does this sound normal, or should I bring it up with a midwife?
#2 of 5 Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 PM

I would bring it up, just because part of your postpartum care is tracking that, but I wouldn't worry too much, esp if it's gushing as you change positions. I would up my vitamin K foods, and keep the iron high. I know I bled differently after my csection than my vbacs, not as clotty (TMI!)

Take it easy, and try to let that tummy rest. It's easy to think because you feel great to get up and moved a bunch, and you have a son to care for.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#3 of 5 Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Blood tends to pool up in you when you're sitting or lying down. Then when you stand, gravity takes over (in addition to repositioning of things down there) and things gush.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 5 Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 PM

I had a lot of gushing everytime I changed positions or sneezed/coughed. very disconcerting, but fairly normal, I think.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-21-2009, 02:59 PM

I had a c-sec over 3 weeks ago and still have significant bleeding - small clots, bright red blood - everytime I "over-do it", and basically anything other than lying in bed seems to be over-doing it for my body. I am going stir crazy, I am desperate to leave this house or even do some vacuuming and laundry!!! I find that if I do stay mostly in bed, just getting up to feed and change the baby, and definitely avoid stairs and all lifting (other than baby) the bleeding slows down to spotting over a day or two. It makes me nervous but my practice says to take extra iron, take it easy and not to worry unless I soak thru a pad an hour for several hours, or get dizzy or feverish. I think you should mention it just so your midwife is aware of it, and to be sure that its normal for you, but its probably nothing to be concerned over.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page