Nursing just about every single hour... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-06-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is normal for some babies...but come on now. I'm getting tired of it and I just want a break. I have family members telling me to top him off with formula but I don't want to feed my baby corn syrup solids. Argh.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#2 of 17 Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Check out the breastfeeding forum for support and good ideas. Good luck, Mama, you are doing great. It does get easier, and less often, I promise! :-)
#3 of 17 Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 PM

My DD does this sometimes, too. I was reading some stuff either on KellyMom or in The Breastfeeding Book (Dr. Sears), and it said that sometimes newborns will "tank up" and eat more frequently before a really long nap. It kind of makes sense since my baby will eat once every hour during the day sometimes, and then sleep 3-4.5 hours after that. When she has longer, less frequent sessions, she seems to only sleep for 1-2 hours. I dunno. It can be pretty tiring, but I'm hoping things will change in the next few weeks or so.

-
#4 of 17 Old 04-06-2009, 08:36 PM

He's probably trying to regulate your milk supply so that the amount is just right for him. If he needs more milk, he'll nurse almost constantly for a few days to increase your supply. Topping him off as suggested by "well-meaning" family members would just ensure you don't make enough milk for him in the long run.

It's really demanding while it lasts but he won't nurse every hour for ever!
#5 of 17 Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 AM

My babe is doing the same thing...and yeah, it's normal. My worry is that it seems like I am out of milk b/c he is nursing so much (i don't hear him swallowing after he's been nursing for a while)...so, that is kinda stressing me out.
#6 of 17 Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts. I nursed my other children and I remember doing this but right now in my life with 3 littles and a farm and not much help, I guess I feel pulled in every which way and then baby needs me constantly, and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I also have those fears in the back of my mind that I don't have enough milk for him...but rationally, I know I do and he is just wanting more and my body will keep up. I just need to trust the process and the evidence of him getting bigger and staying alert and reaching milestones. IT is just hard to be so demanded of right now. Thanks again.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#7 of 17 Old 04-07-2009, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
growth spurt? that'd be my first thought with everything you mention...hang in.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#8 of 17 Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
growth spurt? that'd be my first thought with everything you mention...hang in.

My lil' guy just got over a growth spurt....I completely hear what you are saying about how hard it it . Of course ours came right when DH went back to work & my 21 mos old took full advantage of momma's not being able to chase him totally destroyed the house LOL! Hopefully it won't last much longer
#9 of 17 Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 PM

In the way of growth spurts and cluster feeding, my LC told me the numbers to remember are 3, 6, 3, 6 - 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months.
It could also be that your child is more of a soother-sucker than your other kids have been?

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#10 of 17 Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM

We've had a couple of spurts of that. It lasts for a couple days. I am just so happy to be succeeding at BFing this time, that I just pop a boob in his mouth. Although I am starting to question if he is just a sucker - I'm hoping he will start sucking his fingers, which he seems interested in.

Katie : Mom to three under four. Yes, i don't sleep often.
#11 of 17 Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Been there many times! It is so hard to sit when you know there are things that need to be done. Hang in there!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#12 of 17 Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM

can you nurse in the sling? for me it has been a huge help! i can unload the dishwasher and someone can be eating...
#13 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Good news. The nursing every hour has slowed down the last couple of days. I have a renewed sense of determination to keep going. :

#14 of 17 Old 04-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Keep it up mama!!! :

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#15 of 17 Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 AM

When my sons do this, I say "they are putting in their order for tomorrow's meal(s)"

Because don't you notice that the next day your supply has GROWN?!?!?

Good luck, mama-- we all (including me) need to remember that in good times or bad, THIS TOO SHALL PASS

hugs!

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#16 of 17 Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 AM

ds still nurses all the time, which gets to be a pain, but we don't do schedules around here.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#17 of 17 Old 04-21-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

We feed on demand as well. That's why when it is very demanding I get discouraged...but things are going well all in all.

Yes, I did notice that the next day there is more milk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page