How long does it take your milk to regulate? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm tired of leaking all over the place, especially at night, and I'm tired of feeling wet all the time. As soon as I change pads, I start leaking again, and I drip all over my shirt and my baby and everything when my baby lets go. Can anybody share with me encouraging experiences about this getting any better any time soon? I want to nurse my daughter for at least a couple years, and I'll do that anyway barring extenuating circumstances, but this leaking is really getting to me.
#2 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 04:44 PM

With DS the worst of the leaking stopped by about 3 months, I didn't stop fully leaking till 6+ months though, but that was more when I went longer then normal between feedings. I had totally stopped leaking by 12 months though. I'm hoping it takes less time to regulate this time, with tandem nursing, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#3 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 PM

:

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 05:59 PM

I haven't felt the need to use nursing pads this time around but when I nurse, I compress the other side at the same time and haven't had any issues beyond an occasional drip.

May work for others!
#5 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 07:09 PM

i don't leak that much but my friend does - she uses these pads called lily padz and they actually stop the leaking because the kinda push the nipple it...she loves them.
#6 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 11:55 PM

Someone in breastfeeding posted a link to this product for leaking.

It really varies, some women leak the whole time they nurse, some stop at a few weeks. I can't remember how long it took with my other 2. At nearly 7 weeks pp, it's slowed down a bit, but definitely not stopped.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#7 of 10 Old 04-18-2009, 07:42 AM

I am so tired of having to wear a bra 24/7 just so I can have pads in them to keep from leaking everywhere! I miss sleeping naked!

-
#8 of 10 Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
I am so tired of having to wear a bra 24/7 just so I can have pads in them to keep from leaking everywhere! I miss sleeping naked!
AGREED!

I just ordered those lily padz. Hopefully they're as good as they seem!

This is my first, so I don't know when/if my milk will regulate, but I hope it does soon! I leak ALL over everything. My poor baby gets drowned in milk because my let down is so crazy. I hope it stops soon!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#9 of 10 Old 04-18-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayJennie View Post
AGREED!

I just ordered those lily padz. Hopefully they're as good as they seem!

This is my first, so I don't know when/if my milk will regulate, but I hope it does soon! I leak ALL over everything. My poor baby gets drowned in milk because my let down is so crazy. I hope it stops soon!
Mine is the same, although today brought about a whole NEW scenario for me. I was nursing at the park (at a picnic with friends), and all of the sudden my left nipple sprung a leak! By leaking, I don't mean dripping like usual... I mean it was like someone had poked a tiny hole in a water balloon! Poor DD was being squirted all over, and I had to hold a burp rag over my nipple for a couple of minutes to keep it from making a bigger mess. How embarrassing!

-
#10 of 10 Old 04-19-2009, 03:54 AM

AFAIK, for the first 3 months or so, your milk production is mostly hormonally driven, rather than by baby's demand.

So things should even out soon.

I suffer from oversupply when I nursed my toddler. I wasn't able to stop wearing a bra to bed until he was about 9 months old and I had to wear something during the day until he was almost 14 months old.

He self-weaned at 18 months when my milk dried up from the pregnancy.

Wife to 1, Mom to 4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page