Bleeding after lochia stopped? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-01-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At 2 weeks pp, I was pretty much done bleeding. I had light spotting for another week, but nothing requiring a pad. Now, I'm 5 weeks pp, and I started having some brown discharge yesterday. It was very light, like spotting, so I didn't think much of it. But then today it's a little heavier (still light, but needing a thin pad now) and it's redder. Is this normal? Please don't tell me I'm getting my period already! (I'm exclusively breast feeding) I don't have any cramps, no pain, and I hadn't had sex for a few days before this started. I have a call into my midwife, but I'm waiting for her to call back, so I thought I'd ask here. Has anyone had their lochia stop for a few weeks, then start again? If this is my first period, shouldn't I be getting my normal period cramps? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#2 of 4 Old 05-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Mine hasn't really stopped.. I would have a whole day or maybe 2 without some sort of spotting, and just when I think I'm done, it starts back up again. I'm 6 weeks PP too.. With my first I had maybe a week of bleeding followed by a week of spotting, so I wasn't expecting to still be spotting 6 weeks later.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#3 of 4 Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 PM

nak

google "sixth week bleed"

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#4 of 4 Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM

If you usually have cramps and have none now, and it lets up here in the next day/couple of days, then it's the placental site letting go of the last of it's blood. A hematoma can form there and as you finish up returning to prepregnant uterine size the rest of the blood comes out. Normal.

I'd just asked my mw about this last week, just because I hear so many women who are EBF saying they get their periods back at 4-6w PP, which is just about impossible because who is ovulating at 2w PP, yk?

Anyway, HTH.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page