When do you have to pick? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-29-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When do I need to decide on HB vs. Hospital? Anyone know if this is something that needs to get done before the first pre-natal appt?

Just trying to get a general idea of how fast I need to move on this.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#2 of 5 Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Well you've got to pick one to get started with but you can change your mind anytime until you go into labor
#3 of 5 Old 06-29-2008, 10:59 PM

:

You can actually even make a final choice in labour. I know a woman who was so disturbed by her midwife that she transferred to the hospital in the middle of labour to get away from her.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 PM

Here - you have to choose midwife VS OB very early. I called my midwife immediately after calling my husband to get a spot.

There's a birth center here where there are midwives in a hospital setting. And if you want that - you basically have to sign up during your 1st trimester.

As for choosing home VS hospital - when ever you want. I have a midwife. She can deliver my baby anywhere I choose. At any point I can transfer to a hospital.

Having had a homebirth - I would say that if it's something you think you're interested, get moving on it as soon as possible. Make sure you have the option with a care provider (if you choose one) and start educating yourself on the important things if you choose to UC.

It is never too early to start preparing for a home birth.
#5 of 5 Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
When do I need to decide on HB vs. Hospital?
Anytime before labor begins! eta: actually, any time before baby is born!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
Anyone know if this is something that needs to get done before the first pre-natal appt?

Just trying to get a general idea of how fast I need to move on this.
Depending on the status of homebirth midwives in your state, you may want to start looking now, just because in many places it's hard to find somebody.

Even if you already know some mws, you may want to interview with them and see if you can make up your mind sooner rather than later. I know most people appreciate the care they receive from mws much more than that from a standard OB's office. Just a thought.

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page