why all the blood work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read on here all the time that people are rushing out to have blood work done early on... why not just trust the hpt and wait it out for a while? and why opt to have all that done? sounds crazy to me. the only blood work i have done during pregnancy is for the gest. diabetes... which I didn't really want done in the first place. I would keep my child if it had downs so... i don't feel up for that testing either.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#2 of 10 Old 07-02-2008, 11:34 PM

My guess for those who have been TTC for awhile (especially via IUI, etc.), the need to know exactly what the numbers are doing can be both reassuring and sometimes necessary (for those with previous m/c, ectopic, PCOS (?), etc.). If I spent tens of thousands of dollars on reproductive assistance, I can only imagine what you've already been through to get to that point, trusting a HPT would be hard-- beta blood tests can tell you if the numbers are doubling, etc.. But, that's not me so I'm just guessing-- anyone TTC'd with IUI and want to chime in, etc.?

Funny, but the one test I declined last time was gest diabetes! If you consented to this, I highly doubt that was the only test that was done. You would have had an "OB panel" as well....and much earlier.

It's a good idea to have a base line done-- meaning a full "OB panel" that includes things like uric acid & platelets, and iron so you know later on if you get a funky reading, if what was "normal" for you.

This also tests for blood type and rh, WBCs, RBCs, rubella titers and etc. Does that ring a bell?

Hope that helps!

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#3 of 10 Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honestly, I wish I could get some bloodwork myself! I agree with the above - I imagine it could be somewhat reassuring. Alas, I haven't been seeing a doctor or anything up until now, and I won't be seeing one for a while longer.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#4 of 10 Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 PM

I can only speak for myself, but I got a beta & progesterone check at 14 and 17 dpo. The progesterone was to make sure my meds were working (I had an LP defect) and the beta was just to make sure that the #'s were doubling.

The beta was not "necessary" but my nurse suggested it, and since I was doing the progesterone test I was excited to see the #'s. I was also curious to see if they were really high (can indicate twins) since I was on clomid + twins run in my family, so I have a higher than normal risk.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#5 of 10 Old 07-03-2008, 12:20 AM

I've had 2 miscarriages, one in my 13th week, and my second one was at 6 weeks. With my second one my lvls never doubled like they were supposed to do. It's VERY reassuring to know that your numbers are where they are supposed to be. If they aren't....well...., I like to be prepared. In fact I am itching for an ultrasound at 6 weeks to see the heartbeat.

Not to mention some problems can be caught early on, before it's too late. Gest. Diabetes can be VERY VERY important. A woman who has gest. Diabetes and doesn't get treatment for it can have an overly large baby, the baby can even be stillborn. There are other issues as well, I've heard of children being born blind or mentally retarded. Not to mention it can endanger the mother's life during the pregnancy AND during labor. It's a good thing to know you have if you DO have it. Like the strep test done before you deliver. If you have it you MUST have the antibiotics during labor or else your baby can become quite ill.

~Liz
#6 of 10 Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 AM

I conceived my 2nd dd after 2.5 years of infertility using progesterone cream. This time around I really want to know what that progesterone level is doing. I had my blood drawn this morning and should have the results tomorrow. I've been doing some reading around the web, and apparently the only kind of preventable miscarriages are those that are caused by low progesterone.

I know each pregnancy is different, but I just am kind of assuming that I may naturally be low in progesterone. Dh and I have been trying for over 1.5 years this time, and I just need that reassurance that everything okay, or to know that it is not. I was offered an ultrasound next week at 6 weeks, but I'm going to see how the blood work comes out before I decide if I want to do that. I'm also having pretty consistent pain on the right side, so I may need to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#7 of 10 Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Thanks for sticking up for us, Vanessa!

I had beta and progesterone tests. I have PCOS and am at an increased risk of miscarriage, low progesterone, and twins. Perhaps since I'm already seeing an RE (and yes, spending a crap load of money to create cycles), it's just easy to go get the blood work. I couldn't even bring myself to change my siggy until I saw the numbers, so some of us (and our DHs) do need extra reassurance at this point.

I don't think anyone is getting much other than betas and progesterone at this point.

mom to DD 3/09
#8 of 10 Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 AM

It all depends too on how you conceived. We conceived this time via IVF, so bloodwork just comes with that package.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#9 of 10 Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 AM

I had a miscarriage in May and have 4 year old twins so I'm having my hcg/progesterone levels checked this week and then an ultrasound at 7 weeks to confirm that things are going well and that there is only one baby! I don't plan to have any other testing done besides maybe a 20 week ultrasound. I'm sure not everyone would consider any of the things I'm doing medically neccesary but they will put my mind at ease and allow me to relax in a way that I couldn't otherwise.
#10 of 10 Old 07-03-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

sorry didn't mean to knock on anyone. )

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page