Anybody UPing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-08-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else besides me UPing? If you are, what are you going to be keeping records of? Or are you just going to let nature do it's work?

I'm at least going to be recording my BP and tracking my blood sugar later on down the road periodically.
#2 of 15 Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 PM

sorry, tell me what up ing is ?

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#3 of 15 Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 PM

unassisted prenatal, meaning you do all the prenatal care yourself

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#4 of 15 Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM

I'm doing UP/UBAC, again. Last time around I just weighed myself once a month and used the fetoscoope once the baby was big enough. I think I used the drug store blood pressure machines a couple times, but honestly they hurt *a lot* on me. My arm is too short & too big for them. I thought about getting some pee test strips &/or a blood sugar monitor, but I never got around to it. I might this time, though. Strips, at least.

I did get my gp to order an ultrasound so I could find out where the placenta was, but that was the only real testing I did.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 15 Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baturay View Post
unassisted prenatal, meaning you do all the prenatal care yourself
Yup, that
#6 of 15 Old 07-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Late reply but for the most part, I am UP/UC too. We are considering an US in the 3rd trimester to check the position of the placenta too, and to make sure there are no silent heart probs or other things that would preclude a safe UC. But other than that, It's me, my baby, and my intuition.

I have a blood pressure monitor for home, I will take a monthly weight (for my own interest!), and last go round I had the pee sticks, will probably get those too. Can't think of anything else.
#7 of 15 Old 07-16-2008, 05:19 PM

My last pregnancy was a UP/UC and I checked my BP at a drugstore, measured my fundal height, listened to heart tones, and recorded my weight-more out of curiosity than anything else. I thought about doing the pee sticks but never got around to ordering them. We got a 3d u/s because the parents really wanted to know the baby's sex.

You can get wrist blood pressure cuffs at Wal Mart for like $40. If it's something you want to keep an eye on it would be nice to have one at home.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#8 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 03:55 AM

I'm slow, but I'm here.

Ugh...I've been debating the keeping records issue. Probably will...once we're into the 2d trimester. I just don't like feeling watched.

DD3 was the most peaceful pregnancy yet...until MIL harassed DH into politely requesting an OB at 33 weeks. hahahaha...

We'll see I guess.

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#9 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 PM

I'll be UP/UC...my third baby, six UP.The last three were late term miscarriages.

I don't keep records UNLESS something looks bad, then I'll track until it gets better.

I'll probably get an us in the next few weeks (I'm eight weeks) to verify due date. With Ava, I did visit an OB twice to get blood tests done because I was so horribly sick. UP doesn't mean NEVER getting outside help, it means getting it when it's necessary and being in charge, right?

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#10 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 01:15 PM

UP here too.

No record keeping, but I monitor me weight, BP, fundal height, and FHT once in a while. I have a BGM (blood glucose monitor) where I do random testing to see if I am on track. I have never been diagnosed with GD but I have it on hand JIC.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

#11 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 02:44 PM

I may be doing an UP as well. I want an UC, and the only midwife in the area is not supportive of UC, so depending on how I like her (we meet her next week), I might just go unassisted all the way. I did have an u/s last week to see the baby's heartbeat and be sure everything is ok (it was!) because I've had 2 blighted ovums. But I doubt I'll need any other medical tests, unless something goes wrong. I figured I would just track bp, pee sticks (protein and sugars), and fundal height (maybe weight, but I don't want to *worry* about weight, so I might not). Good luck to everyone doing UP!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#12 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM

So, last night after answering this, I figured I'd start poking around...anyone sure of fundal height yet? Last pg I didn't even check this early hehe and now I'm curious.

I think I'm feeling uterus...much much harder than everything surrounding...but I definitely can't feel defined edges.

Anyone else?

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#13 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 08:13 PM

I am really starting to think about UP. I have decided not to do anything with any OB for the pregnancy which pretty much rules out all testing. The only thing I want to know is, if I could have twins. I just feel so big for my due date. What am I to do? I don't plan on having ultrasound so when would a midwife be able to hear heartbeats? I have no equipment for that so I'd have to rely on someone else to tell me.
#14 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Doppler should be able to hear heartbeat(s) by 12 weeks. I'm not sure if they'd be able to detect twins at that point or not.

I keep debating about having an ultrasound & one reason is to find out if it's twins or not. The other reasons are placental position (because of having a previous cesarean) and gender.

Quote:
I think I'm feeling uterus...much much harder than everything surrounding...but I definitely can't feel defined edges.
Well, if it's where I think it is my fundus is at my belly button already. Everything under there is quite firm when I press on it, & everything above is a lot squishier.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#15 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 02:36 PM

I am UPing. This will be my third UP/UC. I have always measured after 20 weeks but really just for fun and sometimes check my blood pressure when I think about it and am at a store that has one. Every so often I will check my weight if I can find a scale at a store that isn't packaged! I did have a fetoscope for the last 2 that I would use for entertainment towards the end but I don't have that this time. I might see a chiro towards the end for SPD. I had it with both of my last 2 pgs and I am sure I will this time.

I don't plan on seeing a doctor at all but if I felt like something was wrong that a doctor could help me with, I would. UC, to me, is about being aware of how you are feeling, eating, etc. and being responsible for it yourself.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page