What do we think about yoga right now? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be five weeks tomorrow, but still that's awfully early to worry about yoga stuff I think? I'm a beginner, but I have really good body awareness due to dance experience. Do I need to worry about modifying poses yet? I'm reluctant to say anything to my teacher only because 1) I don't want to look stupid, and 2) my mil is in the same class with me and we haven't told her yet, so I don't want her to get too suspicious. Are shoulder stands and kicking up to a hand stand (not holding it- wall is right there, just kicking up) okay? It's not a heated yoga either. It's Iyengar.
#2 of 11 Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM

There's no need to modify much at this point, especially if you've been doing this for a while. When you get bigger you'll want avoid lying on your back or stomach for a long time but at this point I'd just keep up your usual routine. I haven't told anyone in my pilates class I'm expecting yet.
#3 of 11 Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 PM

I thought you don't have to worry about it until you start showing, but I told my instructor anyway and she gave me two articles from yoga magazines. One said no yoga in the first trimester. The other said no twisting, holding breath, jumping, or inversions in the first tri and no yoga at all in weeks 11-13. Neither gave a reason why. It could be one of those yoga-y zen things. My instructor said she felt it was a little over the top, but that it's my decision. The articles might be online. I'll look when I get home.

I don't remember all the later preg stuff, but it was more of what you'd expect: no laying on the stomach starting in the 4th month, don't lay flat on your back because it can cut off blood flow, modify to go around belly, etc.

I'm going to keep going, but am trying to be more gentle.

mom to DD 3/09
#4 of 11 Old 07-09-2008, 06:49 PM

i was a beginner, but i did yoga all through my last pregnancy. i was still doing great at the end. i could get up off the floor all by myself. haha

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#5 of 11 Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM

I got a prenatal yoga book/dvd just before I got pregnant and it says not to do anything until 12 weeks. I have no idea if that's just for beginners or for everyone. I guess it might be a cya thing.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#6 of 11 Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 PM

I went to my regular gentle yoga class last Wednesday, and told my teacher I'd tested positive. she had no issues with me continuing in the class. I then attended--with her permission--her prenatal class the next night, and told her I plan to attend that class from here out. She didn't have any objections to that either. I got a book that has some poses to do in early pregnancy. I think it just depends on hte poses, but not sure.
#7 of 11 Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM

If anyone has links to those articles about yoga in the first trimester I'd really appreciate it!

I have the prenatal yoga dvd that has modifications for all 3 trimesters and I've been doing that 1-2 times a week as well as my regular yoga routine (from the fittv channels program namaste yoga) but would love to know if I shouldn't be doing anything at all!!!
#8 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 07:07 PM

My thought is that women have traditionally done lots of physical things during their pregnancies - it's a fairly recent development that was shouldn't do anything. I plan to go with the flow and not do anything that's uncomfortable.

That said, I'm as ashtanga student who is just too tired to do any yoga right now!
#9 of 11 Old 08-10-2008, 11:02 PM

I've been wondering about this too, and found a good article on about.com that matches a lot of what my yoga teacher friend has mentioned over the years about yoga and pregnancy: http://yoga.about.com/od/prenatalyog...rimester_2.htm

I'm hoping to start a prenatal class next week, and end my long yoga slumber
#10 of 11 Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM

I was doing beginner yoga for about six months, before the +, and what I was told was that inverted poses were not good for early pregnancy. I don't know how that applies to anyone else, but I assume it has to do with the rapid increase in blood volume, it could be difficult to adjust to.

I've always been a tae bo person before, and I've done that through all of my other pregnancies, so I'm not too worried about the other poses in yoga. Right now I'm not doing anything because I'm just so exhausted and sick to my stomach. Sleeping ten to eleven hours a night and taking a two hour nap after lunch, and about one hour nap after dinner.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#11 of 11 Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Right now I'm not doing anything because I'm just so exhausted and sick to my stomach. Sleeping ten to eleven hours a night and taking a two hour nap after lunch, and about one hour nap after dinner.
Hello are you me? Apart from the tae bo stuff I think we might be feeling crappy twins! Making toast is exercise for me at the mo...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page