My partner picked a boy's name...I hate it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She wants to name our son (if it is a boy) Dodi.

No one, I mean NO one has liked it, and I hate it. But For us, I get to have the kids and she gets to name them, since she can't pass on her genes, she wants to give them something from her alone which I love, I mean Awwww! But seriously, that name is so bad....I can just imagine kids calling him Doody. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not in your DDC, but I know several people who use Dodi as a slang for penis.
#3 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi MamaCaveBear!
Popping in from the Feb club to suggest the name Bodhi as an alternative?
It's an awesome name. Dodi, not so much, in my opinion. Makes me think of Princess Di's fiance.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#4 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 PM

Not in your ddc, but...yes, I agree with you. The potential for childhood misery with that name is astronomical.

What's behind her choice?
#5 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 08:34 PM

I understand your agreement... but shouldn't there be a "master veto" clause so that you don't end up w/ a name you hate?

FWIW, I think he'd be called Dodo or DooDoo in school.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#6 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 PM

Here is my theory with names, very rarely do you name a child something that EVERYONE in the family LOVES. However once the baby is born, you begin to associate that name with the baby and it becomes, OMG SO PRECIOUS! My friend adopted both of her kids as newborns however the birth mother insisted on naming the boy. She named him Lou. LOU?!?!?! I mean there is nothing wrong with that name but my friend HATED IT!! SHE GAGED EVERYTIME SHE HEARD IT.
Personally, I don't like the name Dodi either, I think of the guy who dies with Princess Dianna when I hear it. however, if your partner is THAT set on the name, maybe you should give in(although, I wouldn't be able to GIVE IN, this advice is way easier typed then done ), or sugguest using it as a middle name, I think in 9 months from now, when your holding little "Dodi" you won't gag everytime you say it, instead you will smile from ear to ear (and probably secretly call him by his middle name like my friend does) . Good Luck!!

*Aly* Proud ARMY Wife and SAHM to our IVF miracle London Michael 2/28/09 We are so in love! We beat infertility once, lets see if we can do it again. TTC #2!
#7 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 08:58 PM

I think you should have veto power at least. Dodi is not my favorite name. Maybe it will be a girl anyway!
#8 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 PM

It's not my first choice either. I don't mind Bohdi though. I'm called to a Desperate Housewives episode where Mike wanted to name the baby Maynard. Susan hated the name and tried to get him to change it, but then found out the meaning behind him wanting to use it and in the end fell in love with the name. Maybe find out a bit more why she loves the name so much and it might help you like it a bit more too. If not, maybe you can talk about it a bit more and see if you can't come up with a compromise of something you can both live with.
#9 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 PM

I have to agree that you should have veto power. It's not my favorite either -- does she have others on her list that you could lobby for?
#10 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 PM

Ouch! Yes, I agree that Dodi could become a painful name for him in school. While I think the idea of letting one parent do the naming while the other carries is a noble idea, I think it's not very realisitic, especially in terms of not having "veto power" against disliked names. How opposed would she be to (if she MUST keep the name) having Dodi as a middle name? Maybe you two could work out a compromise first name both of you can agree to while she still gets Dodi as the middle name? My DH and I went through a similar experiance with DD, but instead of Quinn being the first name, it is her middle, and we settled on Angela for her first name....
#11 of 22 Old 07-13-2008, 10:25 PM

This is when you pray for a girl ROFL!!!!!

What is it about that name that perks her fancy anyways? I've seen some rather intriguing names....like Harry Beetle....that's a radio announcers REAL name.

*cries for you*

~Liz
#12 of 22 Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 AM

Bohdi or Brodie, but not Dodi. I agree, we should all have Veto power if we are not the one picking the name. Good Luck! I hope you can find a name you both agree on.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#13 of 22 Old 07-14-2008, 01:59 AM

I think partners whould at least agree on a name no matter who has "choosing rights". I certainly wouldn't force my Dh to go along with a name I LOVE if he absolutely HATES it. I don't think it's fair. You may be the one carrying the baby but you'll both be raising the child together for the rest of your lives and naming a child something you'll hate and possibly resenting your partner for is probably not a very good thing.

I personally would probably remember how much I hated the name everytime I had to call my son it, which would then turn to some dislike towards my partner.

My DH really hates the name Topher even though I like it, but I'll move on and see if I can't find something that he'll either warm up to or that we both like.

I agree that it's a noble thing but is certainly doesn't seem practical. She may not be the one carrying the baby but she will be giving that child all of her love and attention and you certainly don't need a name getting in the way of that.

Just my 2¢ on it too.

Good luck, and like others have said, maybe you'll get that girl instead.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

#14 of 22 Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I much prefer Bohdi to Dodi, I may see if she'll go for it. Or I could beg for the middle name option. And praying for a girl may have to happen after that!! Thanks for the suggestions!
#15 of 22 Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 PM

I will add myself to the list of those that don't like it. My grandfather's nickname was Dodi and he was an abusive drunk. That could possibly be partly why I don't like it.
#16 of 22 Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 PM

No way. As others mentioned - Doody, Dodo, Toad, Yoda, etc could become mean kiddie nicknames. I know the last two are a little far-fetched, but even loose association will drive kids think of nicknames.

And I, too, think if Dodi Fayed.

-
#17 of 22 Old 07-18-2008, 11:51 AM

Dodi is Hebrew for "Beloved" and has the same root spelling (in Hebrew of course) as David.

Perhaps a compromise?

Wife to 1, Mom to 4
#18 of 22 Old 07-18-2008, 11:55 AM

[quote=filiadeluna;11700930]No way. As others mentioned - Doody, Dodo, Toad, Yoda, etc could become mean kiddie nicknames. I know the last two are a little far-fetched, but even loose association will drive kids think of nicknames.

And I, too, think if Dodi Fayed.[/quote]

#19 of 22 Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Jumping in from another DDC...we are in the same situation (2 moms, I'm carrying), so I understand her wanting to give something all her own to the baby. Our babies will have my partner's last name, and she named 2 of the 3. I had a girl name I have loved for years, and we used that, but she chose the rest. However, I had veto power over first names. She chose 2 middle names that are family names for her family...I like one and dislike the other, but it was important to her.

Hopefully you can talk about it, and compromise on using it as a middle name, or a veto clause. Good luck!
#20 of 22 Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

It's now the middle name. I still hate it, but at least our boy (if it is) won't get the crap teased out of him the first day of school. So now she's thinking Ethan Dodi ....Ethan is way way better! I have known several cute, ok hot, Ethans!!
#21 of 22 Old 07-18-2008, 04:56 PM

You WON!!!! YAY:

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#22 of 22 Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Ethan Dodi is not too bad. Ethan is very cute! Glad you were able to reason with her!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page