Why do they have to make prenatal vitamins... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so honking HUGE?!?!?!?!?!

Don't they know the people who are taking these horse pills are most likely also dealing with morning sickness... which for many of us means ALL DAY sickness... and having to swallow and keep down a nibble of toast, never mind swallowing these horse pills whole, is impossible?

/end rant

Wife to 1, Mom to 4
#2 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 AM

I was thinking the same thing yesterday

I was even thinking of breaking them into quarters and taking them over the course of the day...

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#3 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM

I'm not even bothering with them. They'd make me throw up within the hour. I haven't been able to swallow any kind of pill (even the tiny folic acid ones) in the past week.
#4 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM

I gave up on mine too. I've been taking two of my kids gummy vites and I am still able to swallow a small folic acid, but if it gets to the point where I can't I guess I'll just go without.
#5 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 AM

I have been taking Juice Plus for a prenatal vitamin... they are easy to take, and go down well. I am also taking Fish Oil (Sears Brand) and liquid chlorophyll (Nature's Sunshine)

BTW, I am due in March (the 27th) but believe I will be having this baby in April... so, I will probably join the April DDC, but wanted to offer my advice. I hope you ladies don't mind.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#6 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM

I take mine right before going to sleep at night, that way I sleep through the unhappiness
#7 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 11:51 AM

You could try (if you can keep this down) crushing it up and stirring it in yogurt. then you get some dairy, and your vid. Unless you cant have dairy, and in that case this was a dumb thing for me to say

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#8 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 PM

Mine taste REALLY bad, but sinking them in a spoon of applesauce has been working. Taking it at the time of day I'm least likely to throw up also helps. This week, that's with lunch.

mom to DD 3/09
#9 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM

I take Preferra OB - it's the smallest prenatal on the market!! It's super easy to swallow - you should ask your OB! Plus, it has higher levels of B6 to help with morning sickness and it has heme iron which is the most digestable form of iron, not found in any other prenatal (this means you can take it with dairy and not have the calcium interfere with the absorption of the iron like with other iron forms). Check it out! http://www.preferaob.com/
#10 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 01:54 PM

I am taking the CVS brand and they are NOT NEAR as big as the ones I took when PG with my daughter. I remember barfing them up every time and gave up eventually.
The CVS ones will make me a little sick, so I will usually take them with some food. Usually Soy Yogurt and a glass of soymilk. That way my tummy is coated and then by the time I take the vitamin its not as bad. I still get nauseous from them, but not near as bad as when I was just popping it on an empty stomach.
#11 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 02:44 PM

Oh my midwife was cruel to me last pregnancy and had me on a 6 a day thing. It was awful. I'm doing okay now but last pregnancy, I just stopped taking them. I just couldn't do it.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#12 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Milk-Fairy* View Post
I take mine right before going to sleep at night, that way I sleep through the unhappiness
I did that too!
#13 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 PM

I just had my MW order me chewable pre-natals. My BFF swears by them.
#14 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 03:32 PM

I couldn't handle them either. *IF* I could swallow them, I usually threw them up. I talked to my midwife and she said that I could take 2 childrens chewable vitamins instead (making sure I got the right amount of folic acid). That worked out WONDERFULLY!
#15 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 04:21 PM

does anyone know of any whole foods based chewables??? I am taking the rainbow light one a day right now I would be much more apt to take the vitamin if it was a chewable

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#16 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 04:32 PM

The melalueca ones are smaller, you take more throughout the day and I swear if you buy the maternity set (with minerals and omegas) they are the best I've had through ten pregnancies.

My first midwife swore that if you ate two bowls of total with one cup of milk in each one, you didn't need prenatals. And as much as I disliked her after our mismanaged induction, she's right, they have 100% of minerals and vitamins. Plus they taste better. ;-)

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page