flying? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone flying during the first trimester? I'm a nervous flier and am unsure whether or not it's safe to fly during the first tri or not.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#2 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 PM

When I was pregnant with my first I flew the entier pregnancy. The only issue that my Dr said was the last 4 weeks because they don't want you to go into labor. THe planes are presurised and all that so you don't have any danger from the plane on the baby. Now your nerves may be another story!

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#3 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 PM

I have flown multiple times with all pregnancies and never had a problem. I'm flying next week to see my family and the beach. I can't wait!
#4 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I flew in the first trimester with my son and he is completely fine But it`s hard to stay away from sick people b/c everybody is crammed into a small place. I got the flu on that flight and was miserable for a while afterward..

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
#5 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM

Flying is fine! If you're worried about germs, I'd wear a mask. Don't worry about if it looks silly!!
#6 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 AM

We just got back from an 8 hour intercontinental flight from malaysia to australia and back. the only thing i worried about was whether or not I was going to be vomiting during the whole night flight

I was fine-- and flew all through DS's pregnancy also.

You'll be fine!

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#7 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM

I got my BFPs with both pregnancies a couple days after returning from (plane) trips out of town. I was 6 weeks along with ds, and only about 2-3 weeks along with this one. I flew a TON when pregnant with ds -- up to about 34 weeks -- with no problems at all.

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#8 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM

we're on vacation now and flew out a few days ago and fly back next week - I never even thought to be nervous about anything but the nausea!! I brought along "gin-gin" candies which saved my butt on a rocky desecent, but other than that - so far so good!

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
#9 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM

As long as you're low risk, then go and enjoy your flight! Personally I won't fly while pg if I can help it. But I have a clotting disorder and being pg as well as flying can increase the chance of a blood clot for me. I used to fly without thinking about it when I was low risk.
#10 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I've had two early miscarriages in a row, and will be flying when I'm 11 weeks. I'm not sure if having two miscarriages makes me any higher risk or not. I'd love NOT to fly since I'm terrified of flying, but it's for my brother's wedding.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#11 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 03:37 PM

I fly every 8 days. I'm a little over 10 weeks. I'm thankful it hasn't posed a problem. I will continue to do this until about the beginning of the third trimester. Or sooner, if I find a job at home, but its not looking great.
#12 of 16 Old 08-16-2008, 10:00 PM

I just returned from a trip out west. I was 10 weeks. I have had many early mc's. Each trip we made 3 landings because of severe weather. The hardest part was bumpy flights and not being able to get up to pee on the plane. I was afraid of throwing up cause it had been bad at home for me. i felt great, except for needing to pee.
#13 of 16 Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 PM

I just flew (at 8 and then 9 weeks). I don't think there are any dangers, especially this early on. If I fly later during the pregnancy, my doctor advised me to get up frequently and move around to prevent vein thrombosis (sp?).
#14 of 16 Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be flying in about 2 weeks. My doc informed me I can take some benedryl if it will help calm me down. I'm trying to tell myself over and over that flying is safe, flying is good. I don't know when I became such a scaredy cat about it.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#15 of 16 Old 08-18-2008, 01:35 PM

A history of miscarriages does not put you at higher risk while flying - unless your miscarriages were caused by something that is effectly by flying. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is my case, a blood clotting disorder since flying increases the chances of blood clots. (Though I've had five miscarriages and they don't think they were caused by my clotting disorder). Just make sure to stay well hydrated and get up and walk around - even just to the bathroom - once an hour.
#16 of 16 Old 08-18-2008, 01:59 PM

I just got back from a 10 hour flight to Germany and everything is okay. My doc said to be sure to get up and walk around frequently and to stay hydrated as others suggested. If you have had a normal u/s you should be fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page