Crafty mamas... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-10-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you working on anything yet? And if so what?

I knit and am working on

Peace Baby

but may end up changing the dove to something different.

and, I have yarn ready to go on the needles for a soaker. :
#2 of 17 Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 PM

link didn't work

before the all consuming morning sickness started I had a top down raglan on the needles about 1/2 done, started a pair of longies, and knit a pair of baby socks to use as my announcment picture.

Once I feel human again. I will finish those and get started sewing I've been waiting YEARS to have a baby to sew and knit for I'm so excited.
#3 of 17 Old 08-10-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

fixed the link, I had one too many http:// in there.
I hear you on the morning sickness. I thought about joining the raverlympics, but as come and go as mine is, I didn't want to have to ut a dealine on myself.
#4 of 17 Old 08-10-2008, 11:51 PM

reading that and I'm bawling. Adding it to my Raverly queue now
#5 of 17 Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 AM

I've already knit a pair of longies (so tiny and sweet!) and have 2 more skiens ready to knit up. I haven't started on them b/c I want to do a contrasting trim and my little town has almost no 100% wool in the yarn store. And I'm scared it won't be a good match if I order online.

I'd also like to do a little kimono top, but I'll have to find a pattern.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#6 of 17 Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM

that peace sweater is to die for - so so cute!

i prefer to sew. will be starting two quilts once the 1st tri is over. not sure what types of fabrics i want to use... it'll be fun to dig through my enormous stash and pick my favorites! i think i'll just do nine-patch squares so that i can strip quilt it, nothing too crazy, with cotton batting and flannel or chenille on the back.
#7 of 17 Old 08-11-2008, 01:36 PM

I am not working on anything now but getting my house ready to sell but once I find out what we are having then I will be sewing blankets and such for him/her. I will also be doing the nursery even though the baby will sleep with us for a while. I still like to have a place for them to nap and honestly I love doing baby rooms even if they don't use it for a long time.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#8 of 17 Old 08-11-2008, 04:52 PM

I would, but my kids have suddenly turned so clingy (we are fixing up the house to move, so they are all emotional) that I never have free hands/lap, etc. to do anything with. When I was pregnant with my DD, I knit soakers, longies, s little sweater outfit. I'm guessing this little one won't get anything because I am just too busy. My poor eldest is still waiting for me to complete the second in a pair of socks that I started 5 months ago.

Some day my children will let me be crafty again....sometime in the next decade I am hoping.
#9 of 17 Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 PM

...working on some new bamboo velour fitteds for the new bean.
#10 of 17 Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 PM

I finished a disappearing nine-patch quilt top a couple weeks ago...now I'm just waiting to muster up enough energy to quilt and bind the thing. Good thing it's small

Knitting is more my speed right now, and I bought some yarn to make the Baby Bolero from the book One Skein. I also have a few skeins of yarn on hand to make some longies, but that will have to wait until I've finished knitting DS's Christmas sweater.

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#11 of 17 Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 AM

I've made the baby three fairly elaborate quilts (quilting is my passion!), and am going to make him or her some more adorable little sun hats and outfits. I have sent the quilts out to be quilted but enjoy doing the bindings by hand myself. Right now I'm binding a queen size though, and it's, uhh, tedious as anything. I'm dying to start my next bed quilt and stop this binding. My next quilt is a king size. Actually my next two quilts are king size. The baby will get to sleep under them all, because we love co-snoozing! :

Does anyone here show their quilts? I'm gonna show a couple next year. I'm excited! My first shows!!
#12 of 17 Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM

I picked the pattern and bought the yarn to make an Aran pullover. I haven't started yet, though. I am going to make three (one for each kid). Amazingly, I found a pattern in my stash that can be worked NB through age 9 years. When DS was born I made him a cute raglan cardigan and tried to size up for my DD- let's just say she's still wearing that sweater more than four years later!

I have to pull out my baby box and see what I have in soakers and sweaters and blankets. I am pretty sure I didn't give away the handknit stuff. When I finish the Aran set, I will probably use my stash to fill in the gaps in the soaker collection. I have a lot of scrap Cascade 220.
#13 of 17 Old 08-12-2008, 12:49 PM

I've always wanted to learn to knit. I'm getting inspired by reading about your projects!
#14 of 17 Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 PM

PNWmama - I'd love to see pics of your disappearing nine-patch if you have any! I've been wanting to make one..

Let's see, I don't know how to knit, but I do crochet and sew... I saved all of dd's baby clothes but I might sew a few new things for the baby later on.
#15 of 17 Old 08-12-2008, 02:56 PM

pnw - i would love to see your disappearing 9 patch, also! i just looked it up and it's such a neat pattern. you're giving me ideas...... anything i can strip quilt makes me very happy. i was thinking of maybe doing the quilts in seminole-style patchwork instead.

freestyler - do you have any pix of the quilts you made? i bet they're amazing... so cool that you're going to enter your stuff in a show! do you have them machine-quilted with one of those huge cool machines that do all the neat patterns and stuff? when i worked in a fabric store in college, i had a co-worker who had one... it was amazing!

so jealous of you hardcore knitters. i can knit and purl, that's about it. would really love to learn how to increase/decrease rows so that i can make something other than a scarf. one of these days....
#16 of 17 Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzypeach View Post
PNWmama - I'd love to see pics of your disappearing nine-patch if you have any! I've been wanting to make one..

Let's see, I don't know how to knit, but I do crochet and sew... I saved all of dd's baby clothes but I might sew a few new things for the baby later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedsky View Post
pnw - i would love to see your disappearing 9 patch, also! i just looked it up and it's such a neat pattern. you're giving me ideas...... anything i can strip quilt makes me very happy. i was thinking of maybe doing the quilts in seminole-style patchwork instead.
Yes, I'll definitely post some pics once I take some I used a couple charm packs to make it, which made things go soooo quickly!

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#17 of 17 Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 AM

Dividedsky---I don't have any pictures that can be put onto the computer, because I have not gone digital yet! I have quite a few non-digital photos in my albums, interspersed with photos of the kids, but nothing computer-ready. Maybe I can get some pictures put onto a CD and load them onto the computer somehow. But geez, it sounds complicated. It would probably take me longer than making a quilt, LOL! And for quilting: There are two quilters here that I like to send my quilts out to. They are as you mentioned long-arm quilters with machines that take up a one-car garage, and my quilts come home just deliciously beautiful! I will quilt my own baby quilts and table runners, but if I'm in a rush to do the next project, I'll even send those out! I'm fairly prolific with the quilting, lord knows how, and I really don't enjoy machine quilting all that much. That's why I send em out. Plus, who wants to spend two or three months making a showpiece king size quilt, and then try to quilt it and ruin it? I think I'd kill myself, LOL! I DO have an awesome sewing machine specifically for quilters though, it's larger than a regular machine and very powerful. It absolutely rocks. I spent more on it than for my first little car (a used Nissan Sentra.) It's a Janome 6600. Sews impeccably and everything comes out so nice. Kind of like playing piano on a perfectly tuned Steinway---it all sounds good! Ahhhh, sewing.

Is knitting hard? Can you do it if you have arthritis? I have mild arthritis and have trouble with repetitive hand work. But maybe a lot of people with arthritis knit?

Please post more pictures ladies!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page