What to eat.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-12-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when noting sounds good. I start to feel sick in the afternoon and know I need to eat but nothing sounds good at all. How do you make yourself eat?
#2 of 19 Old 08-12-2008, 04:27 PM

For me, the nausea intensifies until I eat the right thing. I feel like I spend an inordinate amount of time each day searching for what I can eat and what will make me feel better. I do know, though, that not eating will result in severe nausea.

I have a few trusty stand-bys that *usually* help, but not always. They include: toast with peanut butter, graham crackers, shredded wheat cereal, lemon drops, and sometimes fruit. Basically, I just keep eating until the nausea improves.

I hope you are able to find some foods that work for you. Nausea sucks!!
#3 of 19 Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM

For me, it seems to be protein. That is the only thing that keeps the queasyness at bay. And it is odd, bc protein usually does not sound very good. But, it works!
#4 of 19 Old 08-12-2008, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I just eat a PB and honey sandwich and feel a little better. But the chicken I am planing for dinner just doesn't sounds good at all
#5 of 19 Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 PM

Ugh, yeah, late afternoon seems to be worse for me. And that's right about when I need to be planning supper for the fam. And when the crushing fatigue and heat of day reaches their peaks!

My latest must-have anti-queasiness nibble is Triscuits and cheddar slices. Something about those that's filling and comforting at the same time. And any kind of lemonade (regular, lime, strawberry, raspberry...those Santa Cruz Organic ones aren't too sweet) cut with club soda is also very refreshing.

What I want to know is how y'all manage dinner when the thought of raw meat is nauseating, and the idea of standing up and chopping, stirring, cooking, etc. is sooo tiring?? What have been some of your supper standbys?
#6 of 19 Old 08-12-2008, 10:26 PM

i just eat anything that sounds good-even if it is not a healthy choice-i figure it is better than nothing

::
#7 of 19 Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 PM

Very few things sound good at all and so I feel sick way more than I should just because I really can't make myself eat. So far refried beans with just the smallest amount of cheese mixed in is the only thing I haven't seen come back up. Not even un-healthy foods sound good. My sweet tooth has totally been cured and everything is too sweet for me. I am glad my DH doesn't expect me to cook him dinner or anything. I'm soooo ready for this to be behind me.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#8 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 AM

foods i've been having luck with are: toasted bagel w/butter or a slice of cheese, bran flakes w/milk (this has always been my favorite cereal, weird, i know), homemade pancakes, chicken broth w/egg noodles (NO meat, bleh), baked potatoes...

basically, too much starch and not enough protein, which concerns me, but i can only do what i can do at this point...

my guess is that the starches are working b/c they are easy to digest.

anything too sugary makes my stomach hurt. especially very sweet drinks.
#9 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 11:21 AM

I also would eat whatever I could handle, even if it wasn't healthy. I sometimes found that I could eat something I shouldn't and then I'd feel well enough to eat something I should. Protien did help the most but sometimes that was tough to get down. I would sometimes be able to force down peanut butter on a spoon. I'd treat it more like a lolypop since I couldn't really eat it all at once.

Since you feel sick in the afternoon, eat more often before the usual time you feel sick. Also, make sure you're well-hydrated. Being dehydrated can make you feel sicker too. Drinking has been much harder than eating for me. (To the extent that I needed an IV at one point but I'm over the worse now).
#10 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Bless your heart. I agree with the other posters...if there's anything at all that sounds good - eat it. Get yourself over the hump and don't worry about eating the "right" foods unless of course, those are what sound good to you. Sounds kind of gross but sometimes a boiled egg with a little butter and salt and pepper might work too. Good luck.

The sea monkey has my money.

#11 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM

For me, it really helps to try *NOT* to think about it too much in advance. The more I think about certain foods, the less appealing they get.

BTW, Congratulations!

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#12 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I am finding that protien is the key for me. Right now it is PB and honey sandwiches. In fact I ate one in bed last night at 11 pm : I will keep plugging ahead and try not to think too much about what to eat and just do it.
#13 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Oh the late afternoon thing is tough I end up either splitting my lunch so I can eat it in shifts, finding some fruit and cheese or whining a lot I was on a super peanut butter kick last pregnancy. This time I haven't gotten there yet.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#14 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Oh the late afternoon thing is tough I end up either splitting my lunch so I can eat it in shifts, finding some fruit and cheese or whining a lot I was on a super peanut butter kick last pregnancy. This time I haven't gotten there yet.
Oh I like the whining. I will try that
#15 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Nothing sounds good to me either. I hate having to cook dinner every night - it sounds like I'll be able to eat it when I buy the groceries but when it is time to cook it, I don't want to. I have been making sure I get protein in the way of eggs usually first thing and I usually don't feel nauseous anymore but the aversions are pretty bad too.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#16 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3for_me View Post
Oh I like the whining. I will try that
Whining works on my husband. It usually gets me food. :

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#17 of 19 Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh man, i am so here, too. when i feel like i can't eat or think anymore about what to eat, I just eat a bowl of cereal. cheerios or go lean krunch is perfect lately.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#18 of 19 Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanielayne View Post
Nothing sounds good to me either. I hate having to cook dinner every night - it sounds like I'll be able to eat it when I buy the groceries but when it is time to cook it, I don't want to. I have been making sure I get protein in the way of eggs usually first thing and I usually don't feel nauseous anymore but the aversions are pretty bad too.
This is me. I can't believe how bad the aversions are this time. Sometimes I have to gag down food, especially protein, but after I drink something(usually either Pepsi or Raspberry Lemonade) I feel better.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#19 of 19 Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 PM

I eat anything that sounds good- even if it means driving out to Taco Bell... Even if it means I eat Taco Bell every day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page