Heard the heartbeat, and asked the MW lots of Q's! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had my second appointment today, but I never got around to telling you about my first, so I'll just combine the two. I got to hear the heartbeat today. It took her awhile to find it, but it was over to my right side. I kept laughing because the thing was tickling my belly, then my husband laughed, and that made me laugh uncontrollably. Anyway, the MW said the HB was about 160.

It's a Nurse Midwife group at Vanderbilt, so I won't always get to see the same midwife, but both the MW I met so far were great. I filled out a form in the very beginning that gave me the options to select "no circ", "breastfeeding", and "no meds". I am also able to refuse ALL prenatal testing, but I may do the Cystic Fibrosis thing just because it's a simple blood test. I'm definitely not doing any of the other testing.

This time I asked about different (not lying down) birthing positions and rooming in, which she said are definitely allowed - even squatting! When I asked about an IV, she said it's not required unless you have something that requires antibiotics. You can also refuse newborn tests, but she said we can go over the specifics later.

Anyway.... : I'm just excited that they are so open to a lot of crunchy things, given they are still associated with a hospital.

-
#2 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 PM

Great! My hospital did require a heplock but I didn't need an IV - even for the attempted VBAC. However, I did have to argue with a nurse who said I needed an IV since she apparently wasn't aware that I had a choice! Did you ask if they had a squat bar or birthing ball available? Though my hospital has both, I found most nurses were clueless that they had them.
#3 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlby View Post
Great! My hospital did require a heplock but I didn't need an IV - even for the attempted VBAC. However, I did have to argue with a nurse who said I needed an IV since she apparently wasn't aware that I had a choice! Did you ask if they had a squat bar or birthing ball available? Though my hospital has both, I found most nurses were clueless that they had them.
I didn't ask specifics as to other "tools" for birthing, but I will next time. I forgot to mention I asked her about doing a birth plan, and she said they help with those. She seemed very happy that I was so well-informed about everything, and said to keep up the research!

-
#4 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM

Wow, sounds like you are off to a great start! Good for you for being so educated about things from the get-go!

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#5 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM

That is so exciting! I'm glad things are working out for you!! Doesn't it make you wish that it was March already!!

*Aly* Proud ARMY Wife and SAHM to our IVF miracle London Michael 2/28/09 We are so in love! We beat infertility once, lets see if we can do it again. TTC #2!
#6 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Glad you got to hear the heartbeat! :
#7 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Where in TN are located? I tried to call the Vandy Midwives & they never returned my call~ I may have to try again~ I am having a hard time wit h a provider this go around I am trying a OB in Jackson(1 hour away) plus I am looking into the Farm(I have to call insc co). Then I do have the Vandy midwives that I know are on my insc but I am worried about the drive- 1.5 hours. I would be able to stay at the Farm waiting to go into labor? Too many decisions?

Melissa
#8 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by My*Scorpio View Post
Wow, sounds like you are off to a great start! Good for you for being so educated about things from the get-go!
Thanks! Well, that's what MDC will "do" to you, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly22681 View Post
That is so exciting! I'm glad things are working out for you!! Doesn't it make you wish that it was March already!!
Almost, yeah! I mean, I am still looking forward to the rest of the pregnancy as far as feeling movements, getting bigger, finding out the sex, etc. I am DAMN sick of morning sickness, though. Even so, I can't wait to see my baby & hold her/him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B'sMama View Post
Glad you got to hear the heartbeat! :
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaguan View Post
Where in TN are located? I tried to call the Vandy Midwives & they never returned my call~ I may have to try again~ I am having a hard time wit h a provider this go around I am trying a OB in Jackson(1 hour away) plus I am looking into the Farm(I have to call insc co). Then I do have the Vandy midwives that I know are on my insc but I am worried about the drive- 1.5 hours. I would be able to stay at the Farm waiting to go into labor? Too many decisions?

Melissa
I am in Murfreesboro, so I'm driving about 40 min to 1 hour with all the traffic even though it's only 35 miles to the clinic. Did you actually try calling one of the clinics where they do their practice? You can see them either at Vine Hill or West End. I got in touch with them pretty quickly, but it took two weeks to get my first appointment in.

I would consider the farm, but I think they are like 2 hours from me, and as you said, I'm not sure if my insurance would cover them.

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page