who else is having a homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone on here planning a homebirth? I am feeling very alone in my idea to birth at home, and would love to know I am not the only one!!!

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#2 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 AM

I plan to. I had a great experience with the home birth of my first baby and can't imagine doing it any other way. The bummer is that since her birth, my midwives are no longer practicing (one is on maternity leave and the other is working on something else while her partner is on leave) so we have to find someone new. I am not looking forward to that process although I need to get on the ball.

Home birth is so wonderful. For me, it was an easy decision but for others, it isn't right. I loved being in my home and honestly, I am not sure I would have made it through naturally if I had been in the hospital (I had a 30 hour birth which is reasonable but H.A.R.D). It was nice to not have the option of drugs.
#3 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 AM

We are planning on it also. I meet with my MW for my first appt Sept 8th when I'm about 12 weeks. I've been doing lots of reading and research on homebirths after having 2 hospital births(which weren't bad, I just don't want to do it again).

Did you have a homebirth with your first?

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#4 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 AM

I *think* there are quite a few of us having HBs on this board-- I am!

Unfortunately the only MWs that can legally attend HBs here are the gov't midwives and supposedly they won't-- and if they did I understand they are highly medicalized.....stay laying on the bed, etc....

So I'm, flying in my good friend and midwife (and her two young sons--yikes!) to do my birth. In the mean time I am seeing a fabulous OB for pn care.

I would really like this HB to be successful this time-- we transported with DS.

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#5 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

I had a hossy birth turned c-section with my son. I WANTED a homebirth, but it just ever happen. This time around, everything is just setting in to place.

I am VERY excited to have having a homebirth. A midwife is moving to my town, and I LOVE her, and will start seeing her after labor day when she moves here. (I have met her, but just while she was visiting)

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#6 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessab23 View Post
I *think* there are quite a few of us having HBs on this board-- I am!

Unfortunately the only MWs that can legally attend HBs here are the gov't midwives and supposedly they won't-- and if they did I understand they are highly medicalized.....stay laying on the bed, etc....

So I'm, flying in my good friend and midwife (and her two young sons--yikes!) to do my birth. In the mean time I am seeing a fabulous OB for pn care.

I would really like this HB to be successful this time-- we transported with DS.
May I ask why you transported?

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#7 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 07:11 AM

L&K'smommie-- sure but you've opened a can of worms!!! ....

I think oficially my MW said "failure to progress due to asynclitism" (DS's head was slightly cocked to the side). I *had* been "stuck" at 6cms for like 7 hours or something but it was the back labor that got to me. The minute I voiced (PRIVATELY) to DH that I didn't think I could do it anymore, MW came running into my room (door was closed) saying she would make the call. I just figured she saw it wasn't going to happen and that an epidural would help, along with ofcourse pitocin since she had accidentally AROMed me and time was ticking.

Never did get the epi though as I have a weird blood thing and the anesth. wouldn't even come to the room once they saw that. That was when the hell birth turned into nightmare birth as they continued to crank the pitocin up...

I think she didn't try enough with me-- no back labor support, no ideas on how to turn his head (besides the manual rotation she attempted which was when she AROMed me) or get me dilated. I am obviously pissed for a number of reasons, most of which has to do with what I perceived as her lack of energy to even TRY anything with me. It was x-mas week, but geeeez.

Didn't help that she left me once I was checked in at the hospital-- TO GO SLEEP IN THE CAR.

Gggrrrr-- :

Well, that won't happen again!!!!

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#8 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 AM

I am really hoping to if I can find a midwife. In the meantime I am using an OB for prenatal care. I am seriously considering UC if I can't find a midwife. I really really want to have this baby at home, especially since it is my last.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#9 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 AM

i am planning my 3rd hwb
#10 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 AM

I am! This would be my second homebirth. I planned a homebirth with my first child and labored at home and got to pushing but pushed for a very long time and then transported. I had a baby with a complex presentation(OP and asynclitic with a military presentation) and her head just wouldn't turn. I had a vaccum assisted delivery with no drugs about an hour after we transported. I used a midwife with my second but had to drive to a birth center since there weren't any homebirth MWs to attend me. My third was a homebirth and hopefully this one will be too!!!

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#11 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would really like to and will look into the possibility. Here it's illegal for non-CNMs to do homebirths, so to find a midwive, one often has to go underground. And the ones that can legally do homebirths are hard to book. Either way, the cost is about $2,000-$4,000 out of pocket. So, lots of obstacles, but it'd be so much easier for us to do a homebirth this time, especially since I go pretty fast. I expect this one will be an even shorter labor than last time, so something unde 4 hours total or less.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#12 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 10:10 AM

We are. DD3 was born at home...hopefully I'll NEVER have to birth at a hospital again. My recent trip to the ER DEFINITELY confirmed that.

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#13 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 AM

I don't know yet. The midwife I used last time now only does hospital for liability reasons I heard...not sure what the full story is on that. But she was awesome through my pregnancy. She didn't make it to the birth because my contrax were 11 min apart when I delivered and I hadn't called her yet and she was really bummed, but she was awesome when she did arrive. I attended a friend's birth last winter and her midwife was pretty okay, but I didn't necessarily love her. She is a direct-entry who does hb. She also lives about 40 min away, but comes to the city for births regularly so not a huge deal. I am sure I would be able to make a better call about her if I actually saw her for a pn visit, rather than just observing her at my friend's birth.
#14 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 AM

I am. We're planning our second. After one hospital birth and one home birth, I wouldn't want it any other way!
#15 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 10:59 AM

We're planning a hb too.

I've had two hospital births and the last one, the baby was born 20 minutes after arriving at the hospital and I left exactly 3 hours after the birth (the minimum allowed). It seemed so pointless to go out of the house for 4 hours, spending at least 40 minutes of that in the car (while in transition) to come home with a baby. I decided right then and there that the next baby was going to be born at home.
#16 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 AM

Me too! : This will be my first homebirth and will be following my progression from mainstream birth to unhindered birth My first was hosp/epidural, second was hospital/unmedicated, third was birth center/water birth, fourth will be home water birth, and if there is a fifth it only seems appropriate that I will birth unassisted. Really that's a joke - but you never know what the future holds.

My third was originally planned as a HB, but I ended up saving a couple thousand $ by going to the BC and having insurance pay. Too bad $ gets to play such a role in our lives. I don't really regret it though. This time we are paying out of pocket, so we're going for the birth we want.

Mama to 4.5
#17 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 11:08 AM

We are having a home birth. We transferred with my son, and it was really hard for me since I really wanted him to be born at home. We are in a different state now, and have a fabulous midwife, so I'm confident that this babe will be born at home.

A + B = B nut.gif (10/05) & C joy.gif (03/09) 
#18 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 AM

I am planning a homebirth too.

With my first we chose a hospital based midwife, who was great, but practiced with OBs and when I went to 42 weeks I was sent to the hospital for an induction. That was followed by the predictable level of interventions after I labored for 32 hours (with pitocin). However, the midwife's good thinking saved me from a c-section- and I will be forever grateful for that.

With my second we chose a homebirth midwife and I really wanted a waterbirth. We lived in a VERY small house and there was literally no place to set up a birthing tub where people wouldn't have to step into it and walk through it throughout the birth. So we chose to birth at the midwife's house- she had a special part of her house set up for this purpose- which was only about 3 miles away from ours. However, to make a long story short, my husband was pulled over by the police for speeding (10 mph over on the highway), when the officer approached the car and he told them I was having a baby and he needed to get me to the midwife, the officer thought he was being erratic because my labor only started an hour before. As a result the babe was born at exit 71. I skipped over a lot of the detail there, but let's just say the only person NOT panicking were me and DH- the birth was easy and not scary at all but the people TERRRIFIED me.

I survived those experiences. This time I will not be going to the hospital or getting in the car unless it is absolutely necessary.
#19 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 AM

I am trying to iron out the details.

It doesn't help that my insurance company keeps calling me and trying to change my mind. They actually conferenced multiple people on the line to lecture me! The latest blow came yesterday when they informed me that I won't be able to use my health savings account to pay for it either.

Where I'm at now, it looks like I will have to pay for the entire maternity care and birth out of pocket ($2,000-$3,500). Yikes!

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#20 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B'sMama View Post
to make a long story short, my husband was pulled over by the police for speeding (10 mph over on the highway), when the officer approached the car and he told them I was having a baby and he needed to get me to the midwife, the officer thought he was being erratic because my labor only started an hour before. As a result the babe was born at exit 71. I skipped over a lot of the detail there, but let's just say the only person NOT panicking were me and DH- the birth was easy and not scary at all but the people TERRRIFIED me.
I hope the police officer learned a lesson!

#21 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM

Actually, there was no repurcussion for the officer at all, despite my filing formal complaints. The law enforcement agency protected their own very successfully. We also lived in a very small town in a rural area- and news of this event spread like wildwife. I literally overheard strangers talking about it in the grocery store- only in their version the police were the heroes and the husband was deranged. I don't live in a small town anymore.
#22 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 11:49 AM

i'm hoping too - but I am having trouble getting the two CNMs I was interested in to return my calls to set up the consultation!! there are a limited # who can do them legally, so I'm afraid if much more time passes, I'll loose my chance....

and I still need to talk my DH fully into it - and I am NOT looking forward to telling his family...

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
#23 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My*Scorpio View Post

It doesn't help that my insurance company keeps calling me and trying to change my mind. They actually conferenced multiple people on the line to lecture me! The latest blow came yesterday when they informed me that I won't be able to use my health savings account to pay for it either.

Where I'm at now, it looks like I will have to pay for the entire maternity care and birth out of pocket ($2,000-$3,500). Yikes!
Hah! Mine is $6,200! Worth every penny though...
#24 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by My*Scorpio View Post

I dont understand why they care, ykwim? I just dont get insurance companys

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanahan View Post
and I still need to talk my DH fully into it - and I am NOT looking forward to telling his family...
Took me about 2 months to fully talk my husband in to it. Have not told his family or most of mine. Just my mom, she thinks I'm insane.

#25 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 02:27 PM

Count me in! :

This is my 4th baby and first homebirth. I'm very excited. I used midwives for the last two pregnancies, but my #3 birth experience was so horrendous that I decided I'm done with it. I had a birth plan and they didn't follow it one, tiny bit. They made me feel like I was chained to the bed--wouldn't even let me stand up to squat or move around during contractions. They literally insisted I had to lie on my back. It was INSANE. The midwife didn't show up until it was time to catch the baby. The most terrible part for me was that I tore both ways and it was pure hell during the healing process.

Anyway, I am soooo done with hospitals. I have a good friend who is a practicing midwife and she and her mentor are going to do the birth. I'm hoping to have a water birth.
#26 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollmama View Post
Hah! Mine is $6,200! Worth every penny though...
Wow

For all the ladies who are still working on their husbands... My DH actually thought we should UC. This will be his 4th and he said, "I've seen 3 natural childbirths. I can deliver the baby." We live less than 2 miles from a hospital. I'm too chicken though because I did have PPH/bleeding the last time and got a shot of pitocin.

#27 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 03:11 PM

I wish we were, but midwives are still hard to find around here. Plus with twins, even if I could find one I don't think anyone will take me.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#28 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 03:16 PM

Homebirth here...it'll be my fourth.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#29 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM

I am having a homebirth. And if for some reason I can't find a midwife I can afford I'll have a UC. There is no chance I would consider going to an ob and having a hospital birth.
#30 of 61 Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Homebirth here! And very about it. OP, looks like we're all in good company (surprise, surprise)!

DS was born in the hospital with (what I consider) very little intervention. I did end up with an IV (instead of the hep-lock I wouldn't have minded), constant external EFM and was confined to the bed (even though I was all over the place, turning to hands and knees, leaning on the birth ball, using the squat bar...I had that hospital gown on for about 20 min, then was naked for about a week after that!). I'm so curious to find out just how much better it will be to be at home!!!!

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page