Mothering Forum banner

Will anyone be cloth daipering their newborn?

2K views 47 replies 41 participants last post by  Finding Serenity 
#1 ·
If you are, what diapers will you be using for the first 3-6 months. I'm thinking of getting some fitted with covers and some AIO's. I will also have indian prefolds with nappis. I will get some premiee and infants.

#27 ·
I wondering, for those of you do/will cloth diaper - do you all have washing machines of your own? Is anyone else dealing with an apartment complex washroom or laundromat?

#28 ·
We will be using cloth again but unfortunately I sold all my smalls after Meridian grew out of them. I thought we were done! I don't know what we will use this time round. I may just pick up a few here and there and have a good mixed stash.

#29 ·
we have our own washer and dryer. ironically, i find i really don't like our front-loading machine for washing diapers (it's so much harder dumping the pail in than the top-loading).
we used to live in a 3 storey walk-up apartment with the laundry in the basement. fortunately we were able to move before dd was born. i don't know what we would have done.
i really feel for you ladies that are not able to wash at home!

#30 ·
I have my own washing machine now- and I did with DS, but I didn't with DD. We also moved a bunch when DD was small so we had a couple different scenarios. When she was born we lived in a small apartment building, and the washing machine was in the basement- basically two floors down. We had diaper service then, which was great- about the same cost as disposables. I hand washed the covers and dried them on the shower curtain rod, or if they got really bad tossed them in the laundry. After we moved, we lived in a building where the laundry was on the same floor- we couldn't afford diaper service and bought our own. When that machine was working (someone on our floor constantly tried to do the quarter on a string thing to avoid paying to wash, which would jam the mechanism, and then it would be broken for weeks at a time) I would use that one. Otherwise, I would take them (double bagged) to the laundromat, and sometimes to my parents house if I happened to be going to visit them. To wash the diapers in a pay machine I would put them through two hot washes- full cycles. The first I would add soap and the second I would add vinegar. After that we moved to a house that had a very small washer and dryer, but I still often took the diapers to the laundromat because it was a lot faster and easier to wash them in the big industrial machines there.

#31 ·
i still have 2 in dipes that i cd and i also cd'd my older two. all of my kids are age 5 and under so we have lots of dipes. i buy from a lot of my work at home mom friends who makethem and i like happy heineys and thirsties too. i like many others too.

#32 ·
wow, I am overwhelmed again considering what CD system to adopt...I guess I gotta learn the terms first and get an idea for what some of these companies make. All I know is that most of the moms in our LLL group who CD the simplest ways all complain about leaking all the time...so I am less inclined to try a basic prefold/cover idea. But I only know two other moms who CD, one uses bum genius and one fuzzibunz and they both like them. I like the idea of one size fits all, obviously for cost reasons mostly, but I sure liked that link someone had to baby softwraps...they look perfect to me!

Also, I think I will attempt to do it PT, specifically not at night and not if we're out for a while - my dh also refuses to participate in this idea with me.
so we'll see how it goes.

I sure need to do some investigating.

My biggest concern is leaking. I want to prevent that most of all. I would hate to have to wash my sling everyday along with whatever clothes baby is in each time a wet through happened. THat is my biggest fear. Any suggestions? I guess everyone has their thing, right?

#36 ·
wow, I am overwhelmed again considering what CD system to adopt...I guess I gotta learn the terms first and get an idea for what some of these companies make. All I know is that most of the moms in our LLL group who CD the simplest ways all complain about leaking all the time...so I am less inclined to try a basic prefold/cover idea./QUOTE]

I use prefolds and covers 99.9% of the time and have never once had a leak in almost two years. Maybe they are using the cheapo plastic pants as covers? I have a few Fuzzibunz that I've experienced leaks with, but I think it is because the leg holes are too big for my DS.

#33 ·
I started out part time, using disposibles at night and if we were out. Then gradually moved into nearly full time, using disposibles at the sitters, but nearly all cloth at home.

What helped me was to buy second hand 1 or 2 of several types of diapers. Your baby is built a certain way, and certain diapers will fit better than others. Once I found what worked for me, I rounded out my supply with new ones. I didn't have hardly any leaking problems! So it can be done....

You can check out Craigslist for local diapers if you are interested.

#34 ·
as thefrawg said, it depends on your little one. for us, the prefolds/covers have worked super well. sure, we've had a couple of leak throughs (only ever urine) but even that hasn't been that much. we have NEVER had a poop mishap however until she was 6 months old, whenever we put her in a disposable... poop everywhere!
we cd from birth and use disposables only when we are away from home for more than 48 hours. but that's what works for us. you'll find your own groove!

#35 ·
I made a ton of fitteds (in the style of kissaluvs) in cotton sherpa and flannel with microfleece inners for my daughter when she was a newborn...so I'll be using those again. I also have prefolds that I dyed and bummis covers to go on top of everything. I also have some wool.

#37 ·
With my DD we often had leaks with covers and pre-folds but there were two factors one was the immense volume she was able to create and the other was that she was very oddly shaped. She grew normally in length but did not gain weight so she got very long and was very skinny.(she was born with congenital heart defects, and so that is a typical pattern for babies with her condition). As a result, it was hard to find a good fit with her.

However, with my son, I can't ever remember him having a leak in prefolds and covers.

#38 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by G&B'sMama View Post
With my DD we often had leaks with covers and pre-folds but there were two factors one was the immense volume she was able to create and the other was that she was very oddly shaped. She grew normally in length but did not gain weight so she got very long and was very skinny.(she was born with congenital heart defects, and so that is a typical pattern for babies with her condition). As a result, it was hard to find a good fit with her.

However, with my son, I can't ever remember him having a leak in prefolds and covers.
It does seem that it really depends on the shape of the child in regards to what kind of cloth diapers are going to work.

Many online diaper stores offer a sampler pack with a few different types of diapers included (pocket, prefolds, aio, etc). That would probably be an excellent option for someone just starting out in cloth diapering. That way you get to try a few kinds without putting down a large sum of money on a style of diaper that ultimately doesn't work with your little one.

#39 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by G&B'sMama View Post

Yeah, this is one of my concerns as well, because my ds was extremely skinny and long...never ever on the "charts" for weight and still isn't. He was born 4'13" and stayed in preemie onesies until almost 4 mos old, and then at that point he grew out of them lengthwise, but nothing has ever been tight on this child. All his pants and shorts need to be taken in or folded over or pinned, etc.

So, if I have another tiny LO, which I probably will (both dh and I were tiny babies and skinny kids and still skinny adults
) any suggestions on which kinds/brands to lean towards in my searching?

I am definitely looking into purchasing a pack of a variety so I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket.

Oh, and ? - with fitteds, do you need anything over top of it? I keep seeing things like AI2's that hold fitteds inside...and I got confused. I do like the sound of AI2's though...

#40 ·
LOVE CLOTH DIAPERING!!
:

^_^

My son is two and a half weeks old, and I am LOVING cloth diapering. After a couple years teaching daycare and changing an INSANE amount of 'sposies... cloth is a godsend.

My son's a big boy (10 1/2 lbs at birth, 11 lbs now and 22 1/2 inches long) and he's doing very well in unbleached Indian DSQ's and Stacinator Stretch Wool diaper covers. I've heard rumours that Stacinators are being discontinued. If that is true, I'm going to be one VERY unhappy camper. I also have one pair of reclaimed wool shorties that I love. Gotta invest in more of those ^_^

I launder my own at home - bought two dozen Infant size prefolds and do a load of diapers about every other day. The Stacinators are great because they only have to be washed when they get poopy, which isn't terribly often, and washing them consists of filling a sink with tepid water, dumping a capful of Eucalan in there, soaking the cover until I remember I was washing it in the first place. ^_^ They dry incredibly quickly too. Yay!

#42 ·
Haven't read all the responses but, yep we will be cloth diapering for the first year.

I use prefolds and covers (mostly wool) the first few months and then usually switch to Fuzzi Bunz in the later months. I have everything I need from my first kiddo, so it's just a matter of unpacking the stash

#43 ·
We are planning to cloth diaper.

This is my first and I've never used a prefold so I'm staying far away from those. I don't want to be learning at 2am. Actually, I'm going to buy some for backup and just generally absorbent supplies, but I'm planning more on fitteds, and maybe some pockets and AIOs. Not sure exactly what yet, but I want super easy for those first few weeks. So far I have 1 swaddlebees newborn and 13 kissaluvs size 0.

I'm also working on knitting some covers. I've been too sick to even knit which is really frustrating.

#44 ·
Yes, we are. So far we know we are doing fuzzi bunz and prefolds. Not sure if we will add anything else to that yet. It's my 3rd babe but first time cloth diapering a newborn.

#45 ·
I'm so excited to see so many of you considering to cd. I just ordered a huge lot from another now last week. They should be her sometime next week. I find it exciting at the thought of having nb dips in the house again. Make this baby real.

I'm doing fitted, pf, and covers for the first few months. I did also get 6 BG 3 one size. Then I'll look at getting some small pockets and aio's to rotate into my staff.

#48 ·
I love cloth diapering.
: I've been using them since my 1st baby. I got rid of all my newborn and smalls with my last baby so I'm already thinking of what to get. I really think it's been great to get them potty trained sooner, like starting at 18 months! I am so glad how many diapers I've saved from landfills by cloth diapering as many kids as I have used them for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.